classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Aeronose brakes on a Bullnose?

RenoHuskerDu
This post was updated on .
Those who may remember my old posts will recall that I battled a low pedal and grabby rear brakes on our 85 F250 for fully a year. It was finally improved, not resolved, by replacing MC, the Bullnose-only proportioning valve, rear brakes entirely, including new drums.

We also have an Aeronose in the family, and two Bricknoses that are daily drivers. All three have better brakes. Even today the Bullnose, despite recently adjusted rear brakes, has a low pedal and substandard feel.

I resolved to myself last time that I would update the Bully to Bricky brakes before I'd fix them again. Replace everything between my right foot and the wheel cylinders/calipers.

It just hit me today. I have two Aeronose 2wd F350s in the parts truck row. Both have given their motors to science, as it were. Some gave more, much more, see picture. But the brake systems are all there. One is DRW and the other SRW.  I'm giving serious thought to bolting their brakes into our Bully.

I know that Aeronose firewalls are somewhat different. Would I be able to bolt a 1994 brake MC onto a 1986 firewall?  I know that pedal support brackets are different. The Aeronose went to a huge pot metal casting that supports everything from the pedals to column to foot brake. But if the MC fits, would the Bully brake rod thru the firewall push in the right spot to hit the MC?

How about a 1994 SRW F350 front suspension?  Could that bolt up to a 1986 frame?  While I love the kingpin simplicity, its steering is not as precise as later designs. Going up to a 350 would give some overhead in strength. We could possibly use the F250 coil springs in there.

As for the rear, afaik the SRW axle would bolt onto the leaf springs and give me a long pinion Sterling, which is a plus. The donor trucks are however 4.10 R&P so a regearing would be needed. And I might need a slightly shorter driveshaft.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Aeronose brakes on a Bullnose?

85lebaront2
Administrator
Reno, booster bolt pattern is the same, I converted Darth to a 1990 Booster and 1993-97 MC, but went with the Aeronose dash. I have some pretty good pictures of the changes needed, I also wanted to update the wiring which was part of the reason for the Aeronose dash. I upgraded my rear brakes from the original 12 X 2.5 to 12 X 3.5 and did away with the old proportioning valve/failure warning switch. I do not have the RWAL system so just spliced the lines together.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Aeronose brakes on a Bullnose?

RenoHuskerDu
Howdy,

Are those pics out here? I'd love to see. I just picked up a 3rd Aeronose 2wd 350, mostly for the long-pinion Sterling, a spare 7.3 PSD with rebuild kit, and a very clean quad cab with two seat trays and decent seats. It still has all its brake bits on it.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.