Adjusting a YF carb choke?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adjusting a YF carb choke?

Powerman5K

So I have a cheap aftermarket YF carb on Shep. Over the winter and now into the warm Spring, it has started to stall at the first stop sign coming out of my neighborhood regularly. After that, it's good to go.

My thinking is that the choke is opening too early causing it to stall until it has "warmed up."

1. Do you think it's a choke issue?

2. Does anyone know how to (can you) adjust the choke on a YF carb?

I still have the factory carb. Would I be better off rebuilding the factory carb and reinstalling that?
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Adjusting a YF carb choke?

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
I have read this in the past and will look into it further. The aftermarket carb does not have a port for the heater tube from the manifold. I will open where the bi-metalic spring is housed on the carb and check to see there is no problem there for the choke.

Its just odd that the only time it ever cuts out is when I am at a higher RPM then go into neutral as I'm coming to my first stop sign. After that, it runs fine. I think I'm going to end up rebuilding the original factory carb and reinstalling. The only reason I replaced it was I had just got the truck and was eager/impatient to get it running.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
Some of the factory carbs (depended on calibration) had a anti stall dashpot bolted on the right side of the carb. It was designed to hold the throttle open just a little bit and only for a few seconds to keep the engine from stalling in the manner you suggest. This may need to be fitted to eliminate the problem.

I would rebuild the old original carb, and use it (if possible).  The carb that you have pictured looks like a one size fits all combination. Even with a blank out plate for a feedback solenoid.  Even though these carbs look alike, there are many different carbs and calibrations where only one specific carb will work exactly right at all driving conditions.

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.