Adhering a NOS emblem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adhering a NOS emblem

delco1946
 So thanks from some help from this website I found a new old stock XLT emblem to replace the damaged one on my truck. I’ve remove the old one and washed and scrubbed all the old residue off the old paint spot. However I’m wondering that the adhesive on the new old stock part might not work that well considering it’s almost 40 years old. Considering how much money this emblem cost and how long it took to find one I also don’t want it to fall off while I’m driving immediately. Can anyone recommend some paint safe adhesive that they have used in the past that works? Or do you think any additional adhesive I might add may actually cause harm?

Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Adhering a NOS emblem

salans7
I wouldn't trust the old adhesive, ask Dorsai about his tube of RTV.

I used 3M emblem adhesive on my old F150's Lariat and Trailer Special emblems. It set up nicely and did a really good job at keeping the emblems secure. I can't remember which one it was, but I picked it up at the local auto parts store in the auto body section. When I sold the truck a few years later I thought about taking the emblems off but they wouldn't budge without some work so I left them.

Whatever you do, don't use liquid nails like the previous owner of my current truck did. I'm gonna have to sand down and repaint the emblem area on my truck since chipping off the liquid nails took the paint with it.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
 Why didn’t I think of that, of course there’s a special adhesive just for that! Lol
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by salans7
Automotive double sided tape is usually used. I always have some on hand.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco