AOD selector shaft leak

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AOD selector shaft leak

Frogger2662
I have an AOD installed in my 84 F150 behind a 5.0.
Both are 92 year model.
My selector shaft/ TV shaft seals are leaking. Anyone have any experience replacing these seals?
Advice? Best place to find the seals? Thanks
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AOD selector shaft leak

smtngearhead
The TV shaft is fairly easy to do you can just remove the TV lever and use a pick to remove the old o-ring and tuck a new one in with a small screw driver. The selector is a little more involved as you have to remove the pan, you will also have to loosen the nut holding the rooster comb on the shaft and remove the pin next to the pan rail that goes into the case and holds the selector shaft in place. That pin can be a bear to get out.

This is a pic of a 4R70W case but is very similar, you can see where the pin goes thru the case. If I remember correctly it is not a roll pin on the AOD but a solid pin.
I don't know if the seals are available loose from Rock Auto you may be able to get them from one of the suppliers we use, try looking up WITtrans.com or Transtar1.com
hope this helps.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4X4 FUEL INJECTED 5.0L AOD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AOD selector shaft leak

mat in tn
I use WIT myself here in Nashville. looking closely at the roll pin will show whether it's a solid or not. if solid then I think it sticks out a little and can be removed with vice grips but if it's a roll pin then a tight fitting allen wrench can usually turn it out. I have found them both ways but that may not be every time. doing this repair is a great time to do filter and fluid also since you have to drain it anyway.