AN fitting for 1985 in-line fuel pump - Does this exist??

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AN fitting for 1985 in-line fuel pump - Does this exist??

LastDeadLast
Howdy!!

In the never ending saga to get this 1985 EFI working, I have decided to install a 1986 Fuel rail because of the schrader valve port.

I found a nice fuel rail to use, but in typical Ford fashion, the fuel line connectors are different from 1985 to 1986.  Looks like in 86 they switched to the Spring lock connectors while in 85 they used the "duck bill" style connectors.  This isn't the issue since I have AN fuel line adapters for the 85 fuel rail that will be going to Earls Vapor Guard EFI line.  

My issue is connecting to the inline fuel pump.  I can't find an AN style Quick-Connect adapter that that fit the 5/16" fuel line coming out of the fuel pump.  All of the Quick-Connect fittings that I've tried won't fit without hitting the pump body.  In other words, the 5/16" line that comes out of the pump is too short for any of the fittings that I've tried.

Has anyone done this before?  I can't think that I'm the only one that's ever done this.

Thanks for any help.
-Shannon
1985 F150 XLT
1965 Mustang Convertible
2013 F150 Platinum
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AN fitting for 1985 in-line fuel pump - Does this exist??

Rusty_S85
The quick disconnect AN you've tried is it a two piece design that threads together?

If so I know those dont like to fit in tight spaces.

I havent done it on my fuel pump but I have the following in 3/8" and 5/16" for pressure/return for use on the OE 85/86 sending unit as well as on the Corvette style fuel filter/regulator I will be using.  I use these fittings all the time at work and prefer them over the two piece threading design as you dont need a wrench to take them apart or a special tool.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-640863

I bought mine through Amazon for the 5/16" and 3/8" as they were cheaper than summit but thats the 5/16" quick disconnect to -6 AN that I use.  My return is 5/16" on the OE 85/86 sending unit but I will be using -6 fittings which uses a 3/8" hose.  I dont know if you will be using 5/16" hose or 3/8"
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

LastDeadLast
Rusty,

Yeah, I've tried that fitting that you linked to, no luck.  I've also tried the 2-piece fitting.

I'm trying to not use the fitting with the normal hose barbs since the EFI line that I'm using requires a specific type of fitting to work with it.

I did find these:  Amazon Link  They have the advantage of being cheap and have the correct type of hose barb that works with my fuel line.  From the pics they look like they might work.

Will update in a couple days.  But if anyone has a better suggestion, please don't be shy.

-Shannon

1985 F150 XLT
1965 Mustang Convertible
2013 F150 Platinum
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
LastDeadLast wrote
Rusty,

Yeah, I've tried that fitting that you linked to, no luck.  I've also tried the 2-piece fitting.

I'm trying to not use the fitting with the normal hose barbs since the EFI line that I'm using requires a specific type of fitting to work with it.

I did find these:  Amazon Link  They have the advantage of being cheap and have the correct type of hose barb that works with my fuel line.  From the pics they look like they might work.

Will update in a couple days.  But if anyone has a better suggestion, please don't be shy.

-Shannon
Those are a good alternative.  Little tip though on the vapor guard hose you dont have to use the vapor guard hose or vapor guard hose style barbs.  The only reason why they recommend it is to prevent tearing of the barrier in the hose but if you are clamping the area what difference does it make.

I have used regular barbs with the vapor guard hose with no ill effect.  The issue comes from disassembly but usually if you are disassembling there is already a problem and possibly tearing the barrier at the barb is low on the problem list in my eyes.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

LastDeadLast
Good to know!!!

If that's the case I'm all set.  I already have regular fittings that fit.  

Thanks!

-Shannon
1985 F150 XLT
1965 Mustang Convertible
2013 F150 Platinum
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
LastDeadLast wrote
Good to know!!!

If that's the case I'm all set.  I already have regular fittings that fit.  

Thanks!

-Shannon
Yep thats all the recommendation for using the vapor guard hose ends is for, I was reading on it cause at work I had the vapor guard hose but couldnt get the fittings I needed.  Did some reading, lots of reading, and found out they dont want the multi ribbed barb fittings as it can tear the liner in the hose that provides the barrier to prevent fuel vapors from seeping through the hose.  Only place it could really tear the barrier is where you are putting the clamp at in the first place.