classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ADDING AIR CONDITIONING

Ray Cecil
What are my options?

I have an Air Conditioned Bronco sitting here (1987). Would the AC box that houses the heater core and evap core bolt onto my firewall? I know older chevys had different holes in the firewall for ac and non ac cars. I do not know for these trucks.

If I can rob this bronco, would be nice.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ADDING AIR CONDITIONING

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ray, unfortunately the Bullnose is the last Ford that had completely different firewall for heater only vs AC. If you have the dashboard fresh air vent system then you might have the proper opening. 1987 up, the basic system heater vs AC is the same, just the heater only box is smaller underhood.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
I used an '87F system in my (factory A/C) '83B for a while, but it's not very good.  The '94-96/7 system is much better and fits the same firewall holes.  But you have to get the WHOLE system.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Ray Cecil wrote
What are my options?
Buy a donor AC Cab...or a complete donor truck with AC...or swap firewalls...there's no simple solution.

I was eyeing up one of those Vintage Air systems until I saw how it fits in the cab. Somebody posted pics on FB not all that long ago. You'd never fit one in a truck with a manual trans...not one with a shifter on the floor at least.

I'd have no problem installing an aftermarket system, as long as the AC unit in the cab was small enough.

If you find something, let us all know;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to put this on the backburner. The CHEVY still has good air, so I am good for now. I dont want to cut up the factory firwall, so if that means I have to make a system myself, I might. Im very comfortable these days with ac systems. Been tinkering for years now and ive had good luck rebuilding and recharging systems.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019, 6:50 PM Rembrant [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ray Cecil wrote
What are my options?
Buy a donor AC Cab...or a complete donor truck with AC...or swap firewalls...there's no simple solution.

I was eyeing up one of those Vintage Air systems until I saw how it fits in the cab. Somebody posted pics on FB not all that long ago. You'd never fit one in a truck with a manual trans...not one with a shifter on the floor at least.

I'd have no problem installing an aftermarket system, as long as the AC unit in the cab was small enough.

If you find something, let us all know;).
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/GT40 heads, BBK headers, Holley 4bbl, Comp Cam, M5R2 5spd swap, Magnaflow full duals. Blotchy paint, original bare bones stripper.
1985 F150 4X4 Flareside. Stock 302 EFI to 300/6 swap, 5spd swap, cab swap, 133/117 frame chop, etc. Under extensive Reconstruction.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/ADDING-AIR-CONDITIONING-tp29069p29094.html
To start a new topic under Bullnose Enthusiasts, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from ADDING AIR CONDITIONING, click here.
NAML
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
To swap in an AC firewall to a non-AC truck is not an easy job and have it look factory and I know as I did it.
I had a parts truck with AC I pulled everything from including the firewall part by drilling out the spot welds to fit it back in.
Once the firewall part is over come you can then use everything from a factory truck.

BTW they say you can cut the other hole for the AC in the non-AC firewall but that was to easy for me LOL.
I have some pictures of this on my site if you want to see them.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100