AC reinstall

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC reinstall

Ifitaintbroke
Build has changed again. Engine is almost done, short block scheduled to go together tomorrow. Kept the iron heads, ported them according to The Mad Porter's instructions. Had a custom cam ground by Delta, per PPAM's specs. Going with an Eddy Performer intake (2166) and either a Holley 1850 or 3310. Decided to reinstall the ac with the factory brackets, question is this: does anyone have a diagram of the bracket placement on a 460 specific to our trucks? I might have to go off memory but I want to make sure I am doing this right. Also, AC system is obviously completely empty as it is in many pieces right now. Second question: the only fluid specs I can find are for R12. What weight PAG oil should I use and how much? I've never done AC work before so I also don't know how to put in. Seems I can take anything apart, but putting back together is WAY different!
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC reinstall

Littlebeefy
Did you change your accumulator to the newer one for R134A?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
 Thats a good question but no, I don't think so. The system was swapped before I got the truck. Pretty sad that I have to ask this, being that I sell parts for a living, but where do you get one of those? I never knew that you had to change the drier for r134a.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
Or wait, is it just one from a post-94 truck?
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Ya and you have to change out the clutch cycle switch to work with the newer dryer. Check your hose fittings too because I think there were a couple of different outlets on the dryers depending on the model year.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Thanks Chad, so just to get this exactly right: I need a drier and cycle switch from about a 94-95 truck, right?
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Essentially. There might be some more options if you want spring lock fittings I think. Specifically what you are looking for is a drier with a 12mm clutch cycle switch outlet. I was actually using one from a Ford Probe at one point (because who doesn’t want a little Probe in there every once in a while hahaha). Are you using a factory style compressor with the manifold style fittings? If not don’t bother with stock style hoses.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Yes, everything is factory. I'm going back to the factory v-belt setup, so I'm using the original compressor.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
Thinking about it more, the ac worked fine in this truck before I dismantled it, I think what I will do is just put it back together and fill it. Only problem is: how much oil and what weight?
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If you have a complete system and it has been open you need to change out the drier.
You can replace it for the same year as the truck as it will bolt right in.

As for the switch they do say to replace it or adjust the one you have to work with the higher PSI that the 134a runs at.
Now I replaced mine and it went bad with in a year.
Also in checking even being for a 134 system had the same cut off / on psi as my 81 switch.
Also on the adjusting if you look at the plug end the screw is reverse from a normal screw driver so I dont know how you can turn it?
At this time because the "134a" switch is bad I got it jumped out so the AC will work as it gets really really hot here!

You should also replace all the O-rings that work with 134a.
I also replaced all hoses but 1 as I could not find it but I also seen posted you dont have to replace the hoses because of the R12 oil has sealed them. So take it for what it is worth.
I also installed a new condenser as the old was bad.

Now for oil I forget what I used or how much at this time.
The first time I think I added to much as it did not cool too good.
I had issues with leaks, fittings not tight, used compressor went bad just a mess to get the system going.
When the compressor went bad I changed out the drier again (it was new to start) and flushed the whole system with AC flush.

Now that I have the system sealed, new compressor, hoses, condenser, drier, pilot tube and charged to 80% of the R12 it cools pretty good.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Thanks for the advice. I took a look at my components and I just don't think it will be worth the cost. However, now I'm looking at doing something I've wanted to do for a long time: on board air. So let's start a new thread!
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.