AC cooling capacity

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC cooling capacity

john
I have a 1981 F150 custom with what I believe is dealer installed AC system.

It has a blower motor under the hood and a second blower motor under the glove Box.

My question is will this dealer installed AC system have enough cooling capacity for a fat boy in the desert southwest of Odessa Texas?

Assuming it’s working at 100% capacity.
John in Odessa, Tx
1981 F150, Custom base model
Holley 390 w/Offenhauser intake
EFI exhaust
T170 SROD transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC cooling capacity

old55pete
Here is what my Bronco was running at with an outside temp if 111 deg, idling in my driveway. I live in centrial AZ, so you can judge if that will work in Odessa Tx.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by john
Nothing wrong with a good working dealer AC setup

What compressor do you have on there?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

john
I have the square body compressor made by “4 seasons “.

John in Odessa, Tx
EFI exhaust
T170 SROD transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

john
The Ac hoses have been cut and the compressor is in unkown condition. So if I don’t have a good quality setup nows the time to recommend changing to something neater and sweeter.

John in Odessa, Tx
EFI exhaust
T170 SROD transmission
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That York is what was on my 1980 with dealer installed air (actually there were two with one being an air compressor). My grandfather's 85 also had the York and it worked really well when that truck was on the road. Solid units from what I've read.

I'll rely on others if it's worthwhile to source brackets for the fs6 or not since you may be replacing the whole setup. I don't know enough about the 300 to know what the brackets are like.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
My 81 F100 parts truck with factory AC came with the York compressor.
I think 82 was the change over year because if toy look up compressors they list both types.

Ebay has brackets to change over the York brackets to use the newer type compressor and that would be the best way I think to go if you want to go for the newer type.
I say this because I did not have a full York brackets and was lucky a member found brackets for the newer compressor.

One reason to change from the York to the newer one is the York is a piston type and shakes bad when working. Both work just as good. Think they say the new type uses less power to run.

I can also tell you it is not so easy to install factory AC in a non-factory AC truck don't ask how I know
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
If you want to retrofit everything over to factory ac spec, i may be able to help you.  We just totally redid the factory ac in Brutus from condenser to blower motor and everywhere in between

Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Newer aftermarket systems (dealer installed falls in that category) use a Sanden or similar multi-cylinder axial style. The first round of Ford units were an FS6 which used an axial 6 cyl unit (3 double ended pistons), the later ones are a FS10 which has 5 double ended pistons. If you can find it, the AC casing under the dash may have a label on it saying who built it. The York and Tecumseh compressors will tolerate R134, but the system needs to be flushed and will need the correct oil for a conversion.

As for cooling, my 1986 F350 crew cab was decent with the original system, unless it hot soaked at a stop, then it would take a bit to get cold. Yours being a recirculate only system (unless it's one of the real good ones that can pull air from the cowl vent area) should be more than adequate working correctly.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
85lebaront2 wrote
Newer aftermarket systems (dealer installed falls in that category) use a Sanden or similar multi-cylinder axial style. The first round of Ford units were an FS6 which used an axial 6 cyl unit (3 double ended pistons), the later ones are a FS10 which has 5 double ended pistons. If you can find it, the AC casing under the dash may have a label on it saying who built it. The York and Tecumseh compressors will tolerate R134, but the system needs to be flushed and will need the correct oil for a conversion.

As for cooling, my 1986 F350 crew cab was decent with the original system, unless it hot soaked at a stop, then it would take a bit to get cold. Yours being a recirculate only system (unless it's one of the real good ones that can pull air from the cowl vent area) should be more than adequate working correctly.
I think with either factory or dealer AC one of the best up grades is the heater core shut off valve.
Before I got the AC working I added this and was nice to put the control to vent (my case because of the year of the control AC MAX) and get cool air blowing out.
Now when on MAX AC it gets pretty cold in the cab. I don't have much street driving before I hit the high way but there was 1 time I took the wife out and she wanted me to warm it up and we were on streets.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100