AC Compressor belt comes loose

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC Compressor belt comes loose

86 1/2 Brutus
After i tighten the ac compressor belt, a few days later it gets loose again.  When i get it tight, i put a half inch ratchet in the hole and i pull my whole body weight against the fender of the truck and have Nick tighten.   I think maybe he isn't tightning them enough.  does anybody know what the torque on the bolts should be?
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC Compressor belt comes loose

ratdude747
The old German spec of Gutentight. If you don't know that spec, look it up.

If yours is like mine (Factory FS6), thee should be five bolts to tighten. Two pivot bolts, two "bottom side" bolts, and one "top side" bolt. All of mine had serrated heads. Make sure that all are tight, not just the "top" bolt.

That said, my brackets had a "FAMCO Made in Canada" stamp, so perhaps my setup was specific to Canada-made F150's?

One way you could rule out sloppy fasteners is to tighten it up, then take a paint marker and mark the bolts. When it comes loose, see if the bolts have slid out of the paint marks.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC Compressor belt comes loose

86 1/2 Brutus
Mine is the same setup with the 5 bolts.  I always had trouble with ac compressors coming loose.   I'm always the one pulling the breaker bar, i think im going to be the one tightning the bolts this time.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new