classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A Little Help From My Friends - Test Search Options

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Guys - I think I've gotten the search option thing figured out, but want y'all to confirm it.  PLEASE!

We now have two search options - Freefind in the upper left and Nabble in the lower right of the screen grab below.  Freefind searches the whole of the site, meaning forum and documentation, and Nabble only does the forum.

I did a search for "Dad's Truck Build", and Freefind found 4 instances while Nabble found 576.  At first blush it would seem Nabble is better - until you realize that there are 562 posts in the Dad's Truck Build thread and Nabble found the name of the thread in each of those posts.  

I can't account for the difference between the 562 posts and the 576 finds.  (I'm not about to spend hours going through all of the results to find out.)  So maybe there's something somewhere that Nabble found which Freefind missed, which worries me.

Which is where you come in: I'd really appreciate it if you would test the two different search engines and tell us your opinion. 

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A Little Help From My Friends - Test Search Options

salans7
Searched "Ranger Lariat"

Freefind found 19 hits
Nabble found 36 hits

Is that a good contribution, or do I need to search for something more detailed?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
salans7 wrote
Searched "Ranger Lariat"

Freefind found 19 hits
Nabble found 36 hits

Is that a good contribution, or do I need to search for something more detailed?
The real question is if the Nabble 36 are legit.  As in my "Dad's Truck Build" example, the vast majority of the Nabble "finds" are just the name of the thread in the 562 posts.  And I don't find that very helpful.

So, are the 36 Nabble finds helpful?  Are they different than the Freefind finds?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I just tried "engine control systems" Freefind found less then Nabble, but all were pretty specific to the forum and documentation ares, Nabble brought up every thread where anything remotely connected showed up.

I believe either will work, it seems to be what your preference is.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, both are specific to this website, although Nabble only does the forum.  But Nabble does find the name of the thread in the title of the post.  So in Shaun's case something like 13 of the Nabble finds are the post titles, and that's not very helpful.  And I don't know that I can fix that.

Similarly, Freefind does find the same post twice - once in the "regular" view and once in the "topics" view.  But I can kill the "topics" view to reduce the spam.

However, I repeated Shaun's test and there were things found by Nabble that Freefind did not find.  And, Nabble found today's posts, like in this thread, that Freefind won't find until tomorrow morning's run.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'll try to think up an uncommon subject that I know is on this site, and then test it out on the search bar(s). I'll report back with what I find when I find it.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, I just tried T2K-CAR, Freefind brought up a bit, Nabble brought up most of the posts here on the car. None went off-site.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I tried grumpin. Upper left found my screen name in posts.

Lower right corner found when other people used my screen name, i.e. “thanks grumpin”

Also on my iPad, the keyboard would not go away on the lower right search bar.

Edit: corrected locations of search bars.

Edit #2: it highlighted my name for some reason. Maybe I shouldn’t help!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
The highlights are gone now!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's a Turn Highlights Off button at the top of the page when highlights are on.

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
There are two search bars at the top of the page.

1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  You missed me saying that several posts ago.  The reason is that the first one gets lost under the menu.  So I put in a second.  Once we get the menu sorted out I can figure out what to do to get the first one to show.

Speaking of the menu, I've been advised by Weebly that there isn't a menu like I/we want.  And that is one that stays present and when you click on Documentation you get the one we have now, as shown below.

It appears the best I can do is as shown below.  I don't think we are going to like it, but let's give it a try.  And, bear in mind that the hamburger will be shown on mobile devices.

Please let me know what you think.  Kindly!

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
My apologies, Gary.
I did miss your previous response.

The only other issue I've noticed is the scaling of pages on my iPhone 6s Plus.

This is what I see, portrait and landscape respectively:

On laptop, it all works fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
 Vic - No prob.

Boy, your phone doesn’t show much. Here’s the views I get in portrait on my iPhone X using Safari:

And here’s landscape:

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
To reduce the number of menu items and better group the information, in the "Documentation" menu, could you move the "Metrics" and "About Me/Contact Me" to the About tab? That said, is there a need to publicize your website metrics?

Menu items should be descriptive, e.g. I would change TSB to the full words Technical Service Bulletins, or even Tech Service Bulletins.

Lastly, do you want this kind of feedback? Let me know if it feels more like nit-picking and not helpful.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, I do want this kind of feedback.    EDIT: One of the nice things about this site and forum is that we have the ability to tailor it to work and look the way we want it to.  But, I need to know what "we" think.

And, there is lots of cleanup that needs to be done on the menu.  I could move Metrics to there, and while I'm not necessarily enamored with publicizing the metrics, it is something I watch on a daily basis and having them on a page is very helpful to me.  So, is it a problem?

On the About Me/Contact Me, only a small part of that probably ought to stay on that page or under that heading.  The church stuff doesn't really belong, so now I need to figure out what to do with it.

That's a good suggestion on TSB's.

Not sure when I'll get the whole menu thing sorted/worked.  Lots going on right now, including trying to sort out the search function(s), and making slow progress there.  But thanks for the input, I'll work the suggestions as I can.