classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A Little Help - Calculator Questions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Over the holidays my son taught me how to do drop-downs in Excel.  And, I researched how to determine a tire's diameter from the sidewall markings.  So I incorporated those features into the calculator at Documenation/Driveline/Calculator.  But I'd like y'all to take a look at a couple of things, please.

Is it obvious how to use the drop-downs for tire size calculations?

Is the transfer case selection process obvious?

Is it necessary to have the transfer case low ratio shown when you select the transfer case?  I'd like to eliminate that as it seems confusing, but it does allow you to enter your own ratio there if you are using some t-case that isn't in the list.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A Little Help - Calculator Questions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, hold off for a bit, please.  Something isn't right on the drop-downs......  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Alright, the drop-downs are now working.  Please check it out and let me know.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And, I think I have a solution to the odd t-case ratio sticking out there.  I'll add a t-case option called Other and let the user input his/her ratio in the table next to Other.  That way the ratio doesn't need to have its own visible cell where someone could type in another ratio.

Thoughts?  Or did I make it really confusing?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Looks pretty good, according to that Darth will go 179 MPH in 4th @ 5000 rpm.  
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!  I've also taken away the t-case ratio cell and added the Other cell so that you can add whatever t-case ratio you want, just like you can in the transmissions.  Should provide adequate flexibility.

Yes, it also says Big Blue will hit 194 in 4th @ 5000.  Somehow I doubt it, and I sure don't want to do it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Seems to work for me... only comments I have are that I can’t display the whole sheet and trying to select from the drop down repeatedly shoots me to the bottom of the page if I don’t click just right... because I am on my phone. I know this isn’t supposed to be for mobile device use, but I tried it so I could give feedback, and it does work. 👍
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did you try turning it landscape?  I did and it worked better.  Could almost see all of it.  And, when I used the drop-downs I zoomed in and it helped.  But it is tricky, I'll agree to that.  However, I don't know how to fix that.

And, y'all missed a glitch in the wheel diameter drop-down and it was showing the aspect ratio options.  But I've fixed that now.

Anyway, thanks!  Keep on poking around.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
The only thing I had as issue with is in the blue table when you move the mouse over areas it does not do anything to let you know you have a drop down to pick from.
I started clicking all over before I found the drop downs.

Then when you go to low, no drop down, you type something in and it shows but it dose nothing as it should.
Any way to make the mouse show the drop down when over it with out clicking and make where there is no drop down so you cant type anything.

Then again maybe it just me?

I do like the tire size deal but why not list the gear ratios for the transmissions & transfer cases then list the formulas for the others for speed at what RPM or RPM is the speed?

The other I find helpful is total ratio for the trany gear ratio+rear gear ratio=xxx
I find this helps when you know what you have in the truck or car. Say you know first gear is to high, slipping clutch, and you want to swap tranys for something with a lower first gear and maybe an over drive and maybe not change the rear gear to get what you want.
You could then use this information and the formulas to check speed & RPM's.

ie: I know my T18 granny low is to low for normal driving and I feel the 2nd gear is a little to high even with out a load. I don't want to go lower in the rear to make 2nd gear good for normal driving but my high way RPM will now be higher and not wanted so looking at different transmissions. (the M5-R2 is looking good over the hard to find ZF5)

Sorry so long
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - That's a lot to take in, so let me see if I can condense it to get my head around it:

Drop-Downs: I don't know how to make the drop-downs visible all the time.  But I'll check to see if I can, although it will take some time.

Go Too Low: This I don't understand.  You said "you type something in and it shows but it dose nothing as it should".  What do you mean by "go too low"?  Too low in the parameter, like tire size?  Or to a cell too low?  Sorry, but I'm dense.  Help!

Why not list the gear ratios for the transmissions & transfer cases then list the formulas for the others for speed at what RPM or RPM is the speed?  This is another one I'm lost on.  What formulas are you looking for?

Total Ratio: This I think I understand, but still want to ask some ?'s.  Are you looking for the total ratio in each gear?  On all of the transmissions at the same time?  Yipes, that's a lot of new cells.  If that's what you are looking for then maybe it should be on another sheet?  Use this one to find RPM and/or MPH, and another to see the gearing?  Or, did I misunderstand?

So, please help me understand.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Dave - That's a lot to take in, so let me see if I can condense it to get my head around it:

Drop-Downs: I don't know how to make the drop-downs visible all the time.  But I'll check to see if I can, although it will take some time.
Ok just for a non-computer geek they would not know this was a drop down and why I say have it show.

Go Too Low: This I don't understand.  You said "you type something in and it shows but it dose nothing as it should".  What do you mean by "go too low"?  Too low in the parameter, like tire size?  Or to a cell too low?  Sorry, but I'm dense.  Help!
On the drop downs anything including and below “tire dia” you can click on and a box pops up and you would think you could type something in the box, and you can but it does nothing

Why not list the gear ratios for the transmissions & transfer cases then list the formulas for the others for speed at what RPM or RPM is the speed?  This is another one I'm lost on.  What formulas are you looking for?

I guess I miss spoke on this as you do have the ratios listed in the lower green box with the transfer case ratios. Guess I was fixed on the “speed & RPM” in the upper green boxes LOL
See below on the formulas I talk of.

Total Ratio: This I think I understand, but still want to ask some ?'s.  Are you looking for the total ratio in each gear?  On all of the transmissions at the same time?  Yipes, that's a lot of new cells.  If that's what you are looking for then maybe it should be on another sheet?  Use this one to find RPM and/or MPH, and another to see the gearing?  Or, did I misunderstand?
Not in a box like you have done already and maybe you want to redo what you have?
As I said above you have the gear ratios for the transmissions but list the formula as
trany gear ratio X rear axle ratio = final ratio
trany gear ratio X rear axle ratio X over drive ratio = final ratio

Something like this I ran for my 81 F100 with a T18 & 2.75 rear gear and what the final ratio would be with and with out the GV OD unit in each gear as that was what I was looking at for OD but have changed directions.
T18B = 4.32, 2.26, 1.51, 1.00  &  Gear Vender Over Drive Unit = 0.78

4.32 x 2.75 = 11.88 stock from factory
4.32 x 2.75 x .78 = 9.27  (x.72 = 8.55)
2.26 x 2.75 = 6.22 stock from factory
2.26 x 2.75 x .78 = 4.85  (x.72 = 4.470
1.51 x 2.75 = 4.15 stock from factory
1.51 x 2.75 x .78 = 3.24  (x.72 = 2.99)
1.00 x 2.75 = 2.75 stock from factory
1.00 x 2.75 x .78 = 2.15  (x.72 = 1.98)
I think the x.72 was for the Advance Adaptors range splitter OD unit?

Once you know the final ratio in any gear you could then figure any speed or RPM in any gear like you did in the first 2 green boxes, you had to use a formulas for them and then post the answers in the boxes.
I guess what I am asking is have boxes we could fill in the information we have (tire dia, final ratio & speed) to find RPM or any combo of the 5 to find what you need.

So, please help me understand.
Did I just add more mudd to the water
BTW for most of my cals I use
http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - You've given me a lot to think about.  Thanks?  

So let's take this one thing at a time.  On the overall gear ratio, what if we had another box that instead of MPH or RPM gave the overall gear ratio?  That would be easily done and keep the same format so as it make it easier to use.  For each transmission it would give you the neat table of:

1st gear overall ratio
1st gear with OD ratio
2nd gear overall ratio
2nd gear with OD ratio
etc

Further, if we kept the Transfer Case section in that box you'd have the overall ratios for each gear in the t-case's low range.

And, to do that I would put a place up in the blue input section for the OD ratio, which would only be used in this box.

Is that kind of what you are looking for on that?

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If I under stand it right yes what you said (posted).

For me and maybe others? I want to find a total first gear ratio a little lower than my 2nd and higher then granny 1st gear in the T18 and still have OD to keep the final drive RPM down.

I have not run any numbers yet but it looks like I will have to go lower in the rear gear to get what I want at least from a M5-R2 and your data. The M5-R2 was the only data I did not have in my list of transmissions, thanks.

I had to LOL when I saw 14,xxx RPM in first gear for what was the speed 65MPH?
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Did you fix something? (to make me look bad? I don't need help I do that all by my self )

I went back to the calc. page to look over some things and to take a better look over and I see some of the "cells" work better now. You can type things in and it does not put them to the right in the word field, they look to be staying in the cell.

Now what is this "Cell D53" you talk of? You hung up in Excel
I do see the "Other" but non-geeks may not know where to look?

Then I was looking closer to the default numbers in the green fields and wondered how you could get them with out other information? Like MPH and not know the rear gear ratio?
Then saw it had the right RPM for a MPH in the green, how could that be?
Also had me scratching my head was when I put the numbers in the blue field I did not see any changes in the green field.

Now maybe it was not working the first time I looked the other day? or what but I now see changes in the numbers.
The only way I saw the numbers change today was to pick 1 number and watch it as I made a change in the blue cells. You do have to give it a few seconds but it works.

So it is working just not the way I though it would - no mouse showing up over the cells and no button to push to start the calc it just does in and if not watching would think it is not working.

Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LOL!  No, I didn't change anything to make you look bad.  It was working for me and I figured I'd see what you really meant after we get a few other things fixed to your liking.

I have a line on how to do the drop-downs, but it requires learning a lot more about Excel so it will take me some time.

On "Cell D53", I realized after I said that that you can't see the cell references.    I'll have to think of something else.

And, later today I'll see if I can add the section we discussed so you can see the overall ratios.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Think I saw a D60 cell too? what if you put a link direct to that "cell"?
like "To put the value in the cell click here" type deal?

I here you on Excel, I have tried to do some spread sheets for my drag car and after asking the wife how to do something then don't do it again for few months I cant remember how it was done!
I gave up LOL but I have that data on hard copy from when at the track.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - See what you think: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/calculators.html.

I haven't played with anything else yet, like D60 or the drop-downs.  Just wanted to get the overall ratio thing going.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Dave - See what you think: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/calculators.html.

I haven't played with anything else yet, like D60 or the drop-downs.  Just wanted to get the overall ratio thing going.
Yes that works.
I am a little slow and took a while to see what was done. Maybe a blurb to the right they can find the answers in the Overall Gear Ratio green box to help out people like me
Well done
Now to put my calculator away and go play with your hard work.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - See what you think of the drop-downs.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Dave - See what you think of the drop-downs.  
I now see the drop downs but when I click on them only the arrow box is hi lighted, you need to click to the left to see the options.
Getting closer

I also see you put a blurb in where the information shows up but, don't you hate BUTT's, it looks to be cut off as are some of the upper lines.
Like the box / cell does not go out far enough?

Before you know it, it will be easy enough for me to use
You are doing a great job
Dave ----

BTW when I was in I.T. some of my jobs were Bata testing things like this so users could do their own install / up grade of apps.
I would then relay back to the programmers what I found so they could make the changes.
Making them dummy proof as they say.
Dave G.