classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A Dumb Question About Speakers

Hamm0ckjames
Howdy Again,
I replaced my door speakers with a pair of Kenwood 5.25's and installed a cheap $60.00 Blaupunkt radio "Which will come out soon", but I discovered there doesn't seem to be a place behind my seats "Super Cab" for factory speakers. So knowing that,,,,,, Here's the Dumb Question. Is it possible to install a set of "Rear" speakers in the side panels of the rear/back seat area of an 86 without having to butcher the plastic and interior body metal?

I figured I should ask someone who would know, that means you guys, before I start trying to disassemble the trim and panels looking for a hole that might not be there. The idea is to eventually have a 4 speaker sound system with a fully functional fold up/down Rear bench seat. Which I have, and would like to use without some bulky speaker grill being in the way. I know my two pups would appreciate the functional rear bench, I doubt if they would give a hoot about the speakers.......lol

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you,,,,,
New Project Rough 1986 F150 4x4 Extra Cab
It's so ugly,,,,, I might have to name it  "Moco".
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A Dumb Question About Speakers

Hamm0ckjames
I didn't realize just how far the Blaupunk radio would stick out from the dash untill I installed it, it works good and sounds great. But I don't like it hanging out so far. I suppose it's due to the removable face plate.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames

This is the area I'm referring to,,,,
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Dang it, I still haven't figured out how to get pictures to post right side up. Sorry folks.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hamm0ckjames wrote
Dang it, I still haven't figured out how to get pictures to post right side up. Sorry folks.....
Usually if you open the pic file in some editing software, many of which are free for even phones and tablets, and then save it the editing s/w will re-orient the pic.

But, sometimes it won't let you save it w/o doing something to it.  Otherwise it thinks it is already saved so why should I do that.

But I don't know about the rear seat area of a Supercab so can't comment on that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Hamm0ckjames
Hamm0ckjames wrote
If you're on a PC, just open your picture up in a photo editor (MS Paint will do) and then re-save it.  I didn't believe it at first either, but that's all it takes to convince Nabble to post your photos correctly.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Hamm0ckjames wrote
If you are using a phone...iPhone or whatever, take the pictures with the camera sideways...as in landscape view instead of portrait. That should solve the problem.

Otherwise, I open the pictures in something like Paint, and then save them again and Paint codes them correctly for the forum. This only works if you're using a PC however and not a mobile phone.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I looked into a few options and posts from people in the same boat.
The route I settled on was getting a seat riser kit (LMI makes a nice one) and will be putting the amp and sub under there.

I am interested in seeing photos of whatever you go with.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Thanks Rembrant, I was using my tablet for pictures. Next time I'll try my phone and see what happens. I tried turning them like you said, but the gremlins take over and flip them anyway.

Kramttocs, I didn't even think about a riser, that might be the solution if I can't mount them conventionally, thanks for the idea,,,,,,,
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Digital photos used to be simple back when cameras were all landscape-oriented.  But when they moved to portrait-oriented phones, everything got screwy.  The phone tries to figure out what you intend, based on its tilt sensor, and it may re-orient the pic as it saves it.  But it may ALSO add an attribute to the file telling other systems how to orient the pic.  But not all of those systems interpret that attribute the same, and some don't even read it.  Older versions of MS Paint didn't save that attribute (because it hadn't been invented) so that's why MSP is usually a good tool to get them turned the way you want (as long as you're NOT using the latest version).  But if you're editing the pic on a tablet, you have to pay attention to which way the tablet thinks IT'S tilted, because that might affect the way it writes the rotation attribute to the file.  So by the time it gets uploaded, it can be turned again.  That's another reason I only browse the forums on a desktop.

Anyway...
Look for some C-pillar trims that contain speakers, and try to swap them in (painting them to match if necessary).  I'm not sure what years interchange on pickups in general, or X-cabs specifically.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Thanks Steve83, I went back and looked at the pictures in this tablet and they are right side up. So I'm not sure what happened, my wife bought me this thing and I still haven't figured out what all it can do. Ain't nothing simple any more,,,,,,lol
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Welcome to the smarty device revolution. Your life is both a little easier and a little more frustrating!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When you look at a picture on a computer the software you are using will usually rotate the pic properly for you to see it.  BUT, if you don't save the file it is still the way it was prior to looking at it.

So I save the file and 99 times out of 100 it is now correct for the forum.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Finally made it to Wally World, picked up a pair of Pioneer 6.25 speakers on sale. Also bought a Kenwood "Audio Media Player online. Which means it has no CD player, but for$45.00 I won't complain. So then I removed the bottom portion of the back seat and removed the first plastic panel at the door jamb. Yes there is reinforcement panel underneath. So I used an air recip-saw after marking the holes,  I cut the circular hole for the speaker on each side.
I had already ran the wires for the back speakers and installed the door speakers. Changing it the radio was a snap. Thought I would share some pictures with y'all, the radio plays a USB drive,  which I have already loaded with some good old 80's rock and some Pink Floyd. It sounds great,  I think it will work out well,,,,,
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
This post was updated on .
Also while I was fooling around, I also installed the junk yard dome/ map light. Not bad for $5.00
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
Reply | Threaded
|

Hamm0ckjames
And I apologize for the pictures being upside down,  still can't figure out how to get them right. My apologies,,,