33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A/C condenser question.

kramttocs
Administrator
Great!
Make sure to let us know the part number if it does. I've attached a document that I put together for the return of one of the failed tries on mine. The diagram was from their site and is correct for what is needed but the one I received is the same one I found everywhere else. Some differences don't matter but note the side one where the port is lower and hits the core support. That was the big one and what causes some people to space the bottom out towards the grill.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
This drawing looks like the OEM serpent style condenser on the older trucks.  You can ID it by the tubing loops on the sides.  It's one long tube snaking through the vanes.  The later part is like a cross-flow radiator with a tank on each side with parallel tubes, so the refrigerant travels the length of many shorter individual tubes versus traveling the entire length of a serpentine tube.  I don't know why they did this but I read on another forum that it's more efficient.  I have no idea if that's true or if the changeover coincided with and is related to the change to R134a or if the evolution in design was coming anyway.  The picture on the PepBoys site shows the parallel tube design but who knows.  I'll find out on Monday.

Mark
‘84 F150 4x4 351W 4sp. Regular cab, long bed, all original. '69 Continental MK III. Older restoration. '95 Saab 900S Convertible. '05 Saab 9-3 ARC Convertible 2.0T. Lime Yellow. '09 Saab 9-3 AERO Convertible 2.8T. Sand Beige top. '13 MINI Cooper Factory JCW 6sp. '01 H-D Sportster. '03 Yamaha FZ-1.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That's correct. I've read that the newer style is superior as it has more surface area with the only drawback being that it can't be effectively flushed.
Well that and the fact that I couldn't find one that really fit. Hopefully the pepboys one will be the answer.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
The problem is they used the same part number for both types of condensers.
So when you call or return it they get you the same part number and you end up with the same part.
It really is not that hard to space the bottom out, that is all I had to do, to make it "bolt in".
Besides once installed and the grille back in you will never see it is spaced out at the bottom.

Hoses hooked up as they should and has been working fine for a few days now as I just got my system up and running.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
Yes and so I wonder if it's just a crapshoot if you get the serpentine or crossflow.  Anyway, my original serpentine is good and it can be flushed, but if I get a real performance gain from a crossflow I'm okay withe the mods to make it fit.
‘84 F150 4x4 351W 4sp. Regular cab, long bed, all original. '69 Continental MK III. Older restoration. '95 Saab 900S Convertible. '05 Saab 9-3 ARC Convertible 2.0T. Lime Yellow. '09 Saab 9-3 AERO Convertible 2.8T. Sand Beige top. '13 MINI Cooper Factory JCW 6sp. '01 H-D Sportster. '03 Yamaha FZ-1.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
The Napa part number for the condenser is MO1K100055 and they have plenty of them in stock. You were looking for opinions about which style is better, and there is a lot of pros and cons about both of them. The biggest pro for me for the serpentine style condenser is that if you blow or lock up a compressor is that it can be flushed out. The radiator style cant be flushed out and under the same conditions, it would have to be replaced to keep from contamanating your new compressor with left over shrapnal from your old compressor.

Just my humble opinion.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
Those are exactly the pros and cons I'm considering.  It would be nice to be able to flush it, but I'd like the most performance I can get.  Since I'm replacing the entire system I'm hoping that it'll outlast me, since I'm sixty.  We'll see.

Pep Boys was closed when I got there so I won't be picking up my condenser until tomorrow.  News then.

Mark
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by old55pete
old55pete wrote
The Napa part number for the condenser is MO1K100055 and they have plenty of them in stock. You were looking for opinions about which style is better, and there is a lot of pros and cons about both of them. The biggest pro for me for the serpentine style condenser is that if you blow or lock up a compressor is that it can be flushed out. The radiator style cant be flushed out and under the same conditions, it would have to be replaced to keep from contamanating your new compressor with left over shrapnal from your old compressor.

Just my humble opinion.
What year truck was that for? If for the 80 - 86 trucks check to see what the 87 - 90 takes.

Tell them to order in 3 and check what type it is and I bet you will only find the later type that will also need to be spaced out.
As was said they used the same part number for all of them so you cant tell by the part number.
Good luck
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Here is a good read if one wants to go with the newer style (which like Dave said, I am betting one will get if they order new regardless of the part number):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1522843-how-to-and-product-review-spectra-ac-condenser.html
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
The listings are for two different condensers, MO1K100055, serpentine style and NCR NC 3605B is the radiator stile.

I will still add that I like the serpentine stile better because it is re-usable. I also think that the serpentine type, that the freon stays in it longer and there for would transfer more heat and better condense the freon better.

Again, just my humble opinion
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Looking at the photo for MO1K100055 it looks like the spectra so will need to be spaced out  towards the grill.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
The m01k100055 is also listed for 83 to 86 F/U 150 through F 350 on the NAPA site.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
The condenser came in at Pep Boys.  It's a "Spectra Premium A/C Condenser", Part#: 7-4150 | SKU: 9011029.  It's a cross-flow type though with a twist (no pun intended).  Both inlet and outlet tubes, which are the equivalent of the tanks on each end of a cross-flow radiator, are on the same side so each cross tube goes to the other side and loops back, for two trips through the width of the core, and then into the outlet tube. The refrigerant doesn't travel the full length of a tube from inlet to outlet like a serpentine design, but it travels twice as far than in a regular cross-flow setup. The tubes are smaller than the original serpentine tubes but they are a lot bigger than the tubes in a cross-flow radiator, so it looks like it could be flushed.  The notes on the Pep Boys site describe it as serpentine but I'd call it a hybrid.

I read somewhere that a cross-flow design is more efficient.  I don't know if that's true.

It went into the truck pretty easily though the lower passenger side bracket is 1/4" short so I cut the hole open to make a slot.  As others have said there is interference at the tube at the lower passenger side.  I got it in all the way with the tube up against the radiator support where it might rub through so I'm going to space it 1/4" toward the the grille.  A tiny dimple on the tube would work too.

The original: