93 Flarenose 5.0 flooding

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

93 Flarenose 5.0 flooding

86 1/2 Brutus
Hello everybody.  I'm hoping ya'll can lead us in the right direction.  We are working on a 93 f150 with a 5.0.  Many many hands have been in this poor truck, and as a last ditch effort, he finally brought it to Nick and I to try to get this thing to run.    So, as you can guess, with the many people who have had there hands in this truck, many things have gotten changed.  It's original problem was a broken water pump bolt.  that got fixed.  He was told it needed new fuel tanks and  fuel pumps.  I have these here, and yes it did need fuel pumps, both are bad.  To make a long story short and this is where i need help.  Once we got the rear tank in, we were able to start the truck and it runs horrible, engine shaking like Charo's hips in the 70's, and backfireing.  The engine is totally flooding out.  we tried to get it started again to pull some codes, but now the spark plugs are so fouled, it wont start.  We are going to get some more plugs to at least get this thing to run long enough to pull some codes.  This i know, the fuel pumps are running wide open and i know that is not supposed to be that way, i believe is why they both burned up.  This thing is loaded with sensors as you know.  Where do i start?
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 93 Flarenose 5.0 flooding

mat in tn
running wide open? do you mean high flow/ low pressure?  or are you saying that they do not cycle through the fuel pump relay (off when engine s off)?
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
the only thing i know for sure is , when you start the engine, it totally floods out, fuel pumps running wide open and totally saturates the spark plugs
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
well on a 93 it will have the pressure pump in the tank and they are not variable. they come on for two seconds to prime before start or with start and once the ecu signals the engine is running it turns on the fuel pump relay and "runs continuously" until the ecu is turned off. the fuel pressure is a "wide open" system but with a rail mounted regulator to bleed off excess pressure back to the tank. there is also a Schraeder valve on the fuel rail for a fuel pressure gauge. the fuel pressure should read 40-45 static and regulate at 35 psi with the engine running. if the pressure is lower than this then I'm concerned about the injectors. if the pressure drops below 30 after turning off the engine, then the pressure is being bled down somewhere. a leaking injector is common. if bad enough, it can totally ruin the engine by washing the oil off of the cylinder walls and thin out the oil to the point that it abrades the bearings. check the oil. does it smell like gas? it is unlikely to have 8 bad injectors and it may only take one if it's bad enough. finding a wet plug is a major clue.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
One very important item, Ford changed the firing order on the 302 in either 1994 or 1995 so be sure that didn't happen by someone thinking it was the issue. Distributor rotates CCW and #1 trigger vane is narrower than the other 7. Make sure the vacuum line to the MAP sensor is not cracked or kinked and check that the fuel pressure regulator isn't leaking.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413