91 Tune Up

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

91 Tune Up

Bruno2
My boy's 91 F 150, 351 W was long over due for a tune up. The coil wire was cooked so bad it broke in half. This being his first lesson in gas engine tune ups I walked him through the 4 strokes of power the engine goes through. I used the multitude of visual aids I had in the shop like cylinder heads and an assembled block with rotating assembly so he could see what goes on inside. The moral of the story being why there is a firing order as well as how plug wires are routed and why.

Now he has a basic understanding of the ignition system. We started with the plugs which I selected the NGK UR5. I showed him how to find the gap tolerance using the web. We then went over different types of tools used to measure and adjust the gap.

Once the plugs were gapped we were ready to replace the cap and rotor.  Following the cap and rotor I explained that the plug wires were all different lengths and how to decide which goes where. He then started replacing the plugs. I always preach about proper tool geometry so things don't get rounded off or broken. I also stressed to him how important it is to start the new plugs by hand in order to make sure they are threading properly. Showing him the cylinder head visual aid again so he could see just how bad things could get if the heads get buggered up threads.

The tune up was a success!
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 91 Tune Up

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's, Kris!  (And Brandon, the professor.  )
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Imagine, for a moment, how easy the plug change would be on a 300/4.9L engine!
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
#6 is just as hard as #8 on a V8; and #1 isn't easy, being inside the A/C bracket.