9" Rear Differential

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

9" Rear Differential

Frogger2662
Looking to upgrade the differential to a 9" in my Flareside.
What year model ford trucks will bolt in without modifications. I am reading on line that 74 thru 86 or the same overall width.  Just wondering if spring and shock mounts are the same.
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 9" Rear Differential

Ford F834
Administrator
A coworker that I knew put an 80’s Ford 9” in his ‘72 Bumpside. That truck has the narrower frame, but all he moved was the spring perches. The ‘73+ Dentside trucks have the wider frame. I put a ‘73 Dana 60 rear axle in my old ‘66 and had to move the perches inward. So I believe that anything ‘73 and later should be a direct bolt-in for a Bullnose, but do measure before buying just to be sure. Neither my friend no I did anything with the shock mounts when putting newer axles into the older trucks, so I believe you will be fine in that department, as long as it comes from a truck and not a car or van.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 9" Rear Differential

Frogger2662
Thanks. Hitting an out of town junkyard this weekend. Naybe i will have some luck.
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.