87-96 Bricknose Tailgate on a Bullnose

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

87-96 Bricknose Tailgate on a Bullnose

MarktheV
Good morning all.  I've heard that the tailgates are interchangeable in terms of having the same width, but have different latch locations. I recall seeing somewhere that a Bricknose owner installed a Bullnose tailgate and just bolted some U-bolts into the bed to serve as latches.  Wondering if anyone has done this successfully using the newer tailgate on a Bullnose?    
I found a really clean tailgate from a '90 that I'm hoping can work.  My '84 has a reproduction item that is falling apart.

Thanks,
Mark
'84 F150 5.0L 2WD LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 87-96 Bricknose Tailgate on a Bullnose

FoxFord33
This Catalogue seems to think they have different hinge connections (which is probably what the eyebolts or whatever solved), and the latches are different, like you stated. I'm not sure if it would be easy to convert.
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

MarktheV
Ah, interesting. It actually looks like the hinge arrangement is opposite between the Bricknose & Bullnose versions as well.   I might have to make a trip out to a junkyard to see if I can compare the two tailgates side by side.
Thanks for sharing.  I didn't think to look up the diagrams on LMC
'84 F150 5.0L 2WD LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You could look up the Bullnose part on here: Exterior/Beds Tailgates & Components.  And here's the illustration you would find:

But since this is a Bullnose site you wouldn't find this illustration for the later trucks:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by MarktheV
I've got an '87.
If you need a pic, lmk of what exactly and I'll post it back when I get better service.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

MarktheV
OK- thanks for the help.  At work but will post some images tonight of my tailgate for reference of picture angles with yours.
'84 F150 5.0L 2WD LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

MarktheV
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thank you for sharing the diagrams, Gary.  I keep forgetting there is that top navigation menu that has expanded areas.  I always arrive to the main Forum page and sort through threads first.  Guess I need to use the site more often to gain some familiarity!
Mark
'84 F150 5.0L 2WD LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sure enough!  

If after dark on the east coast I'll post back in the morning.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There are a bit over 500 web pages hidden in the menu, and some of those pages have many-page documents on them.  I'd guess that there are over 5000 documentation pages.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

MarktheV
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Sorry for the delay.  I'm also on the east coast and we were having some freak tornado warnings here on the PA/NJ border this evening!
I'm adding some images of the driver's side and passenger-side with the tailgate removed from the pivots to show the lower and upper mounting areas.
If you think you can take a look at your truck to see if at least the pivots match that would help a ton! Pass. Side         
'84 F150 5.0L 2WD LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
My hinges (pivots) are essentially the same.
Here is the right side with the striker and the corresponding cup on the tailgate.
Then a pic of the latch.

The major difference is that I have door striker type catches while you have bails.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,
I'm looking at your '87-> illustration

I see 404A42 but the nutplate that fits inside is shown above the LH tail light and there's no numbers visible.

I'm going to assume a pair of each of these would be needed to make a bricknose gate work with the older bed.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Does this help?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm thinking 41051 must be the nutplate the striker stud screws into.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here's what the part numbers are.  Note that it says 1988 & '89.  Not '87.  But that's at odds with the illustration that says '87 on.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And yet it is an E9TZ number?

What does the asterix denote?
I saw some notes on the drawing like only serviced in assy xyz, but no *

The next time I have one of my tail lights off I'm going to have a look inside.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ford was really inconsistent with how they treated replacement part numbers, and this is a good example.  Just do away with what had to have been an E7TZ part number and replace it in the catalog with the E9TZ.  But when the F2 part came out they said "replaced by".  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I forgot: * Indicates Motorcraft Sales Part Number

Reply | Threaded
|

MarktheV
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks very much for posting these.  I ended up taking a trip to an area pick & pull and found a brick nose and bullnose to compare side by side.

More surprisingly, there was a donor bullnose that had a straight $40 tailgate! The truck I pulled it from was a different color; so amazingly this tailgate has survived 30+ years in the PA/NJ rust-zone to be on at least its third truck(just look at the "fender rust repair-panels on the donor truck!). It's not perfect, but much better than the repro that's been hanging off of my truck.

'84 F150 5.0L 2WD LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Wow that's fortunate, and pretty astounding that you found one close to you in such great shape!

I think it suits your truck much better than the slab that is a '87-'92 tailgate.
 Jim,