classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

86 f350 4 speed, manual 4x4, 6.9 diesel, crew cab: Pemberton BC

Ratboyslim
Hey there.

Just brought home the new to me beauty today.

Bought her from and old logger here in town.  Saw it in his boneyard over the summer and finally scrounged up enough to buy it.
Paint is peeling.
She has a wiring issue, but there is no rust. Well, maybe a tiny bit on the front bottom of the passenger's bottom wheelwell/quarter panel: about the size of a Tooney.
She comes with a Rebco logger's box, decent rear tires, a hidden hitch and no batteries.

I paid 500$ Canadian.  She has 280k on the engine, but hasn't seen a paved road in 20 years and probably hasn't gone over 50-60 k since then. She was made in Canada.

I am going to voltage drop test tomorrow. Just using a jump link to another truck and 1 battery on the passenger side.

Rear running lights come on. Had the front head light on for about a minute today and the driver's side front running light works. Radio works, but no dash lights. Interior light works as do the diesel checks such as water in fuel and temp.

She has a ghost switch under the front bumper to close off any power to the interior so that she wouldn't get stolen when she was left on the block.

Gonna go through all the grounds and start testing from the battery back to the steering column.

Any ideas are welcome.

Will post some pics tomorrow.
86 f350 crewcab manual 4x4 6.9 Diesel
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 86 f350 4 speed, manual 4x4, 6.9 diesel, crew cab: Pemberton BC

grumpin
Welcome!

Had to look up Tooney!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ratboyslim
Yes, welcome!  Looking forward to seeing pics as well as results of your tests.

But before getting to the tests, a couple of things.  First, how 'bout creating a signature?  You could put your first name in it as well as info about your truck.  In fact, the info in the title of this thread is a good start, and the fact that it has your location is even better.

And, speaking of your location, we have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to put you on it - with your permission.

On the testing, the voltage drop test is a good one.  But another thing you might do if you have a current draw you can't find is to do the voltage drop test in conjunction with pulling fuses.  When you find the fuse that is fueling the current draw you'll see the voltage drop reduce significantly.

Good luck!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Oh wow, Pemberton...very nice area up there. We passed through there on a cross country motorcycle trip back in 2011. Welcome aboard the forum (I'm out in the Maritimes).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ratboyslim
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary,

Tried to create a profile. Not sure if it worked that well.

Will go back and edit with location and first name.

Everything looks pretty good in the wire department.  I think I may have traced it back to the steering column.  Gonna' pull steering wheel tomorrow.  It needs a double puller and in my excitement to get going on the project I snapped a bolt in one of the puller holes. Now have to drill out, tap and start again.

Cant seem to download images.  probably a size thing.  I will try to make them 1 mb.

Pete.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ratboyslim
In reply to this post by Rembrant
hey rembrandt.

thanks for being a part of this forum.  just found it when i was looking for parts and specs.  someone suggested it for glow plug info.

Never been to the Maritimes, although my family still has a farm  in New Brunswick.  Would love to get there one day.

pete
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome to the forum Ratboy.  

BC logging truck..... probably hasn't had an easy life.

Coupla ideas.

Trace the switch back, and see where the harness was hacked.
Probably disconnect it and make a quality splice in the harness.

Headlight(s) shut off.
Thermal breaker in the headlight switch is telling you there's a short on the one light that won't illuminate.
You can find a Electrical & Vacuum Testing Manual (EVTM) under 'Resources'. -1985 is fine-
The circuits are laid out individually, and each category has tests spelled out for you.
Every ground, splice and connector is shown.
Be sure to use the diesel pages, as their harness is different.

ETA: have a look at the plug that connects to the headlight switch.
The brown wire is known to melt, knocking out the dash lights that are controlled by the dimmer rehostat at the rear of the switch.
You can buy this plug with pigtails separately, as a replacement.
It's not too uncommon a repair.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Pete, In order to resize photo files all you have to do is check 'large size' when you go to insert an image.
The forum software will then do it for you.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - If by "profile" you mean your signature then you are close and you know how to do it.  But if you mean a link in your sig to a post where you tell more about yourself and your truck that's a different story, and if that's the case then you need to follow the suggestion here.

Bummer on the snapped bolt!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Welcome to the forum!!
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Good find! Sounds like a good price too. I guess keeping it off road has helped keep the salt away.
The electrical stuff on these trucks is pretty straight forward. I have a lot of diy wiring I need to sort out on my truck but everything has been easy to trace so far.
Nice username btw
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems