86 f150 efi 5.0 2wd Goal: Minimalistic camping buddy

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

86 f150 efi 5.0 2wd Goal: Minimalistic camping buddy

BuggTruck
I have quite a few planned repairs for this truck. It is my daily transportation as well so im limited in scope on some projects. Right now im trying to get the electrical gremlins ironed out.
My upcoming projects  are: flush and clean coolant system, replace thermostat, then i can put the new heater core on (currently bypassed cause it was leaking), find and fix all vacuum leaks (considering replceing all vacuum hoses), replace wiper fluid pump, replace ac pulley that went out when clutch was engaged ( truck still has r12 system that was working beautifully), replace power window motor on pass side, replace all door seals inside and out,  find some way to fix the shift indicator on the dash, fix my cruise control.
Things that are beyond my ability and/or current situation and space: have windshield replaced (pits cracks and general age uglyness) and along with it all the trim around it, ball joints along with many of the associated part, new tires, shocks struts etc.
Long term wish list: new side marker lights, new camper shell, fix extremely dented back of bed, new headliner, new hood, new sear and belts, new dash pad.

1986 f150 2wd standard cab w/ac 302 5l v8 efi 175,000 miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 86 f150 efi 5.0 2wd Goal: Minimalistic camping buddy

1986F150Six
Administrator
The truck has good bones and will be a fun project. Welcome!

By the way, Gary Lewis has been known to the work projects you have listed as "Peeling an onion"!

Each layer exposes another, but we do like onion rings!
Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
I put a little background in my intro post but got caught up in what might be, i forgot the background. I bought the truck about 2 years ago for 1500 with only 140,000 miles. PO was a retired mechanic who hardly drove it (12,000 miles in 10 years, receipts back up claim) and I've since added 30,000 with very minimal put in to it. I've replaced power steering pump, battery, radio, 1 tire, brake light switch.
Engine was replaced at 136,000. I suppose it could be 236,000 but everything's in too nice of condition so idk PO claimed 136,000. Carpet is still beautiful and almost spotless.
Poor headliner had to come out and crumbled on its way out so thoughts of relineing went into the can with it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If your headliner is like mine, it was raining yuk on my head.  I pulled the whole thing out, but the cardboard is still good so it can easily be recovered.

So, where are you going camping?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
I thought it was still good. I had seen someone just scrubed theirs and relined it. However as i took it down, the cardboard disintegrated. I suspect the 100+ degree summers had something to do with it.

Haven't decided yet where. I'm 2 hours from any climate and countless beautiful locations. Lots of BML land around as well. I have a small river boat i could pull as well if i wire it up and get a hitch.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like a camper's paradise.  Take pics to post!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by BuggTruck
I'm along for the ride.

Sounds like a good adventure with a great end goal.

Good luck!
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.