'86 Bronco

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

'86 Bronco

cliffhaas
Hi everyone! I had posted only once before with a no spark problem and this community was quick to offer help. A little background; the truck was purchased without my seeing it first hand. I found it in CA and had someone inspect it. It has about 10K on a rebuilt 5.0L motor and AOD trans. I have receipts for each. The work however was done 10 years ago and it has spent most of its time parked.
I quickly became frustrated with chasing issues on the weekends rather than driving it and was always afraid it was going to stop running while out somewhere.
Since my hope was to have a vehicle to enjoy as opposed to a true collector type vehicle I made the decision to do something relatively drastic. I had recently built a 1970 f100 with a 460 and was happy with the MSD ignition I used in the project. So hoping the entire MSD line was going to offer the same experience, I went about removing the Ford EEC-IV system in it's entirety. In its place I installed the MSD Atomic TBI FI system, a big cap MSD Pro Billet distributor, Street Fire Ignition, and a Weiand dual plane high rise manifold. I was able to leverage the OEM fuel pump and plumbed it to new AN lines with the addition of an adjustable FPR on the return.
After a little playing around with timing curves and a few small setting adjustments the truck starts immediately and runs well reliably.
Now this means I have a lot of EEC-IV related parts I would like to get to a new home. I will post that list in the appropriate board. Thanks again for the help when I needed it.
1986 Bronco 5.0L EFI stock
Always appreciative of help and always ready to learn
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: '86 Bronco

1986F150Six
Administrator
Wow! You are the 1st that I know to do this and report back with good results. Please report back as time goes by as I am certain others will welcome the updates. Congratulations!
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Congrats indeed! That's awesome. I have been toying with the idea of putting EFI into my '84 F-150. I'll keep an eye out!
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

cliffhaas
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Will do. The tricky stuff was as you might expect; timing curve, TV and throttle cable and the truly small tweaks to the tuning. The Atomic system is exceptionally easy to install and offers a lot of tunability. playing with things like the IAC count, the virtual power valve and accelerator pump can keep you playing around without being a big issue or hurting reliability while you play.
Reply | Threaded
|

cliffhaas
In reply to this post by JMUBullnose
I looked at a couple of different FI systems and settled on the MSD Atomic for a couple of reasons. The brand has a good reputation and support is always available; the system integrates directly into the ign/Dist to allow it to control the timing if you want it to but you don't have to do so; the setup and tuning are easily done through a handheld that comes with the kit and does not require a laptop. I have the handheld in the cab mounted to the dash so I can see monitor the systems gauges and if I want to make changes can do so on the fly at any time.
I think my other option would have been fitech if I didn't go with MSD.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice! Thanks for posting, good to know.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by cliffhaas
Ok, so that is a throttle body system, not a port or sequential system? Sounds interesting, if I hadn't already gone EEC-V MAF/SEFI on my 460. Do you know if it will integrate with a transmission control system?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

cliffhaas
That's correct, it's TBI not port. If I were building for performance or felt it was worth while as an investment I might have gone to an SFI system but all I wanted was a reliable driver for days at the beach or weekend rides in the mountains etc. The price for everything including what I thought were expensive cables and brackets etc all came to under 2k. I don't see any option for electronic transmission integration. Just the Holley style linkage and TV cable for the trans.
It was a fun and interesting project. I think the next time I do something like this I may buy a wrecked late model Mustang GT and swap the whole drive line system in. Of course that's a much bigger investment in both time and money.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
cliffhaas wrote
...all I wanted was a reliable driver for days at the beach or weekend rides in the mountains etc. The price for everything including what I thought were expensive cables and brackets etc all came to under 2k.
They installed one of these Atomic systems on an old Buick wagon on an episode of Roadkill a while back. They do review the kit a little bit for those that are interested. Starts around the 18:30 mark I think.

I have to say I'm jealous as I really wanted to install one of these MSD kits. The only thing that held me back was the cost. I think it's worth it, but I was trying to stay within some kind of a budget at the time. Maybe I can install one later on. In any case, thanks for posting the info.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  That looks good and should be very reliable.  And, it should give you good of MPG.  Please let us know how you like it after you driven it a while, and what kind of MPG you get.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

cliffhaas
Guys, just a quick update;
I have also replaced the stock cylinder heads and cam with Edelbrock aluminum heads, a 2122 cam and a double roller chain. I now have two  very low mileage e7 heads to to add to this lot. I am only keeping this stuff for another couple of weeks and hate the idea of throwing it all away. Please let me know if this is of interest to you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So, how does the truck run!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

cliffhaas
The systems are working really well. Fast starts, smooth idle etc. The next step I took was to add the timing control to the system. The setup was easy and the ability to change timing curves on the fly has allowed me to tweak this to a pretty fine point. The cam is the last element to go in and I am just buttoning that up this weekend. I was looking to get more bottom end out of it and thought this would be a fun last step. I will update in the next week or two after I have a couple of miles on the setup. Hopefully this is the last work of any significance under the hood for a while. I would like to get to some interior work ie  new upholstery, door panels and dash pad.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 10:44 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, how does the truck run!  
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/86-Bronco-tp13236p14946.html
To unsubscribe from '86 Bronco, click here.
NAML

--
Cliff Haas
Phone/Text/WhatsApp/Telegram
+1 201 925 0752

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
cliffhaas wrote
The next step I took was to add the timing control to the system. The setup was easy
and the ability to change timing curves on the fly has allowed me to tweak
this to a pretty fine point.
Hey Cliff,

What distributor/ignition are you running, and how are you controlling/changing the ignition curves?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Congrat's.  Looking forward to the report on the cam.  What are you going with?

Reply | Threaded
|

cliffhaas
In reply to this post by Rembrant
The ignition is the MAD street fire setup and the distributor is MSD Billet Pro big cap. The timing control is through the Atomic Fuel Injection system and is set or modified through the handheld remote. I have it in the cab so I can read a live data stream as well as make tweaks in real time.
The system can be tricky but I have found that if I reset and allow it to relearn after major changes like new cylinder heads it works as advertised.
Reply | Threaded
|

cliffhaas
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I am going with the edelbrock 2122 cam and lifter kit. (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2122). It should provide better torque and operates best at lower RPM's. I should have it in and running by tomorrow.I will update here when I get it done. I appreciate the enthusiasm and interest, Thanks to all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks like a good cam for torque.  

Reply | Threaded
|

cliffhaas
I honestly don't know much about cam design and what grinds produce which result but the Edelbrock guys were great to work with when I was looking for something that would do what I said I needed. I want a decent idle, good vacuum for brakes etc and don't want to change the torque converter. On top of that it had to work with their e-street aluminum heads and be suitable for EFI. This is what they suggested. I am hoping for a seat of the pants difference. I have learned a lot with this project and even though I didn't plan to do any motor work at al when I bought this am happy with the experiance so far. I will post a link to a video of it running when I have it done later this weekend. 

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 1:04 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks like a good cam for torque.  
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/86-Bronco-tp13236p14967.html
To unsubscribe from '86 Bronco, click here.
NAML

--
Cliff Haas
Phone/Text/WhatsApp/Telegram
+1 201 925 0752

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not a big cam guru, but I've studied the subject quite a bit.  And I've come to the conclusion that a cam with not a lot of duration, which minimizes overlap, and slightly more lift than factory is a good way to go for a heavy vehicle like our trucks.  And the cam you are using fits that mold.  It says the torque is from idle to 5500, and that's perfect.

Big Blue has a very similar Edelbrock cam and it'll put well from idle.  I routinely take street corners in 3rd gear, which pulls it down to 500 RPM, and it doesn't care at all.  I can't tell any difference in torque at 500, 1000, 1500, or 2000.  It just "works".