classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

86 5.0 Efi smog/ emissions delete

Madtikicustoms
Hi Everyone!
Just curious. I would like to free up some clutter in my engine bay and hope to grab a bit more power from less static drag. (5-10 hp possible?)
86 Bronco xlt 5.0 efi, OD trans, 9” rear 4.10 gears. All stock except lift and tires.

How big of a headache is it to remove the system. Is it worth the trouble?
Thanks!
Owner MAD TIKI Rods Customs & Restorations.
Located in Mesa Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 86 5.0 Efi smog/ emissions delete

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm pretty sure there's essentially nothing you can do that won't cause problems if you are retaining the EFI system.  And, it is a "system", with everything tied together and the computer in control and monitoring things.

The ECU recognizes when things like the TAB and TAD relays aren't there and at least throws codes if not goes into limp-home mode.  And you can read here what Jim explained to Pizzadude about the AIR system.

I recommend that you keep the system stock.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Madtikicustoms
I agree with Gary, unless you want to go to a newer system (which will clear some of the stuff off behind the battery) best thing you can do is better heads, the heads on that engine are some of the worst Ford ever used. A late 5.0L Explorer (or clone) has very mice heads, early versions are GT40, later GT40P (identified by a "P" stamped on the end).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Can the speed density accommodate the better heads?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, as they flow better, the system will compensate for that.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
Speed density responds well to better flowing heads, and minor exhaust work. It cannot compensate for cam changes, even something as mild as a stock HO cam.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, guys.  I didn't know.

Reply | Threaded
|

Madtikicustoms
Thanks guys!
I figured there may be an issue because of the efi being its own system run off the computer.
Change of heads was something i was considering in the future. I wasn’t sure if the efi was able to adapt. Looks like it can.
I am a bit concerned about the cam though. I was considering a mild cam. A step more aggressive than an RV cam. Nothing crazy.
But it looks like the efi wont work with that. Any work arounds on that without replacing the whole system?
Carburetor is out of the question. I take this rig on trails, so efi is mandatory for me. It keeps the rig from stalling on off camber situations.
Future goals are to be in the mid to upper 300 Torque range around 200-2500 rpm. Any advice?
Located in Mesa Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The speed density issue is lobe separation, somewhere I have seen a chart showing what lobe separation is tolerable, I'm recalling something like 110° lobe separation. Also too "lumpy" a cam will drive a speed density system craze.

On off road, even a TBI system might do well, one of the old choices was the "piss pot" Holley of the mid 50s, the float bowl sits above the main body and it will almost run on it's side. Basically if you can get gas to it and you are not at such and angle as to starve the oil system, it will run.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
**Bank fired Speed Density** definitely has its limitations.
But there are cams ground to make the best they can.
Remember, Ford used this system for over a decade, and the 5.0 was a popular engine across their range.
You're not going to get a lopey idle but I doubt you'd want that in an off road rig (hill climb excepted)

It's not only angle that is going to affect carburetors.
I think another consideration for EFI is that the system runs much higher pressures than a carb, so vapor lock and fuel boiling is far less of an issue if you're crawling in the Arizona heat.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
Madtikicustoms wrote
Carburetor is out of the question. I take this rig on trails, so efi is mandatory for me. It keeps the rig from stalling on off camber situations.
It shouldn't be. There are PLENTY of Jeeps running around with carburetors in the roughest trails and terrain there is. And you can take all of the emissions off of your truck, like you want.  Plus, you can run almost any cam profile you wish!

Interestingly enough, the most popular choice for a Jeep that is regularly taken off road is the [Ford] Motorcraft 2100/2150 that was found on the 5.0 trucks before fuel injection.  That carburetor can take some extreme angles before stalling out.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Madtikicustoms
I had a 90 wrangler i built for rock crawling. It started with a carb. The trails i was running would slosh fuel and stall it constantly.
All my trail rigs get efi.
My street cars are a different story. But i know what i require on my trail rigs.
Located in Mesa Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Here is the type carburetor I was referring to. A lot of the Jeep crowd used to swear by them. You can see where the float bowl sits up above everything and the primary main jets are located almost in the center of the bottom of the bowl, secondary jets are tubes extending down into the bowl close to the primary main jets. It will function at some amazing angles. FWIW, the 1953-54 Lincolns in the Pan Americana had these.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/holley-model-4000-teapot
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Madtikicustoms wrote
I had a 90 wrangler i built for rock crawling. It started with a carb. The trails i was running would slosh fuel and stall it constantly.
All my trail rigs get efi.
My street cars are a different story. But i know what i require on my trail rigs.
You are dismissing all carburetors just because yours didn't perform well?  

The stock carburetor for a 1990 Wrangler would have been a feedback Carter.  Those years are known to be a pain because of the added electronics and emissions.  And it isn't the best for a trail rig, for the reasons you are saying. Anyone in the Jeep crowd will tell you that, which is why it is usually swapped out.  A popular upgrade to the stock Carter carburetor is a [Ford] Motorcraft 2100/2150, like I said in my previous post.  

EFI is great, but the right carburetor should work just as good, and be a whole lot cheaper.  I don't think it is possible to run any EFI system without emissions.

Sorry; just trying to help.  Good luck with your project.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.