85 F150 EFI midship tank photos

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

85 F150 EFI midship tank photos

71_badmach

Attempting my first photo upload... My photo skills have not been the greatest, but I thought a picture of the top of the sending unit on the 85-86 mid-ship fuel tank for a fuel injected 302 might be helpful to others who haven't yet got the tank dropped or bed removed.  I was about to ask for documentation help for the wiring diagrams, but I found the excellent resource here under http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/fuel-system-wiring.html.

My truck has only the one tank, so I don't have the complexity of the fuel selector switch.  So far, I have removed the in-tank pump and replaced with a 255lph Walboro one.  Didn't think to get pictures until after I put it back in the tank, but I was able to install in place of the stock pump, just had to shorten the fuel hard line some as the new pump is taller.  The new pump came with a pigtail that I spliced into the existing wiring in tank.  

In the picture, the 4 pin connector is the stock setup for my 1985.  My "B" and "R" over the pins are the wire colors for the pump connection in the tank.  They correspond to Orange and Pink/Gray hashed (literature says black hashed) wires in the harness shown.  Yellow and Black are for the fuel gauge sending unit.

Plan is to use Russell fuel line to -6AN fittings for the fuel line connections up to the new EFI.  I've removed the frame mounted pump and sump/reservoir.  
Dave
85 F150 EFI 302
Ohio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 85 F150 EFI midship tank photos

85lebaront2
Administrator
Nicely done, but a word of warning, those fuel lines are not like the old rubber lines, they do not take being clamped off very well, they are nylon which can take a set or crack when squeezed together like that.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

71_badmach
Thanks Bill, I will be replacing those and just clamped for less fumes in the garage.  The Russell fittings will replace the nylon push on ones, and allow for -6AN braided fuel hose up to the manifold, and for the return line.  

I'll also plumb in a in-line fuel filter and regulator.  Plan to take photos as I go.  
Dave
85 F150 EFI 302
Ohio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, well done.  Please take lots of pics!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
In reply to this post by 71_badmach
Are you adding a fuel schrader valve in-line somewhere for future pressure checks ?
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

71_badmach
I'll be using an adjustable fuel regulator with a gauge underhood.  The ProFlo 4 is somewhat "tunable" for fuel pressure depending on what your engine is setup for, stock, or hotter cam etc.
Dave
85 F150 EFI 302
Ohio
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
That will be nice.

Are you leaving the stock regulator in place as well, or have you replaced the fuel rail set-up ?
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

71_badmach
The Edelbrock ProFlo4 comes assembled with injectors and fuel rails on the intake manifold.  I replaced all the original EFI components.  I'll start a new thread with some pictures of the setup to keep the all modifications in the same place.  

I wanted to share the tank sender pictures for the EFI tank setup since I didn't know exactly what I would find before removing the bed.  
Dave
85 F150 EFI 302
Ohio
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
I recommend going with Earls fittings they got some nice black quick disconnect youll need a 5/16" quick disconnect for the return and a 3/8" quick disconnect for the pressure side.  They have them both 5/16" quick disconnect to -6AN as well as 3/8" quick disconnect to -6AN.

I also have a male 3/8" quick disconnect barb to -6AN for use with the late model Corvette fuel filter I am going to run with the built in 60 psi fuel pressure regulator.

Hose wise I strongly recommend Earls Vapor Guard, you will need Vapor Guard hose ends and fuel injection hose clamps but these hoses are great as they have a barrier to help reduce vapor leak through the hose itself compared to traditional hoses.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
In reply to this post by 71_badmach
I see, you have been busy.......