'85 Bronco XLT "Motorsport 5.8HO"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

'85 Bronco XLT "Motorsport 5.8HO"

MotorsportXLT
Back when in the fall of 2015 I had decided that I needed a 4x4. I told my dad that it was either going to be a Bullnose Flareside or a Bronco. If you can guess a Bronco was much easier to find. I found my Bronco on craigslist and my dad and I were going to go look at it, but a nasty snow storm hit, and it was 2 hours away and we weren’t going to risk it. The Bronco then went off Craigslist for a few months. I was really bummed out. I kept looking for a Bronco and Flareside. In the spring my dad and mom were headed to pick up a Mustang in the city that the Bronco was originally on Craigslist. I looked up Bronco and I couldn’t believe it; my Bronco was back on Craigslist! I begged my dad to just stop buy and look at it when they finished picking up the Mustang. My dad looked at it, and everything was there except for the original engine. The guy was asking $600 for the truck and my dad offered him $400. My dad was not a Bullnose fan until I started building him, he is a total Dentside guy. The guy said absolutely not, he said the rear-end is worth more than the whole truck. Being a Dentside guy my dad thought that it had an 8.8, so he crawled underneath the truck and it had a 9". My dad then gave the guy $600, and to this day the only reason why I think my dad bought the truck was because it came with a 9".  After decoding the VIN I found out my Bronco was a 5.8HO truck from the factory and that is why it had a 9" rear diff. A few weeks later we brought the bronco home, drained the C6 and both differentials, put fresh fluid in them, and so I could drive it we put a 5.0 Explorer engine it. I drove it this way for a few years and I had no problem with the 302 until I bought my Lightning. After having a 351 I decided the Bronco HAD to get a 5.8 again. Last summer I completely Rebuilt a new 351w and C6. The 351w was an F4TE roller cam block that is bored 30 over. It has period-ish correct Ford Motorsport aluminum X heads. I also ran a Ford Motorsport aluminum intake. It also has a E303 roller cam. I decided to run a FiTech EFI system on it, and with all these combinations what great running truck. Unfortunately, with college and such, the Bronco has to sit in my grandmas garage. I haven't gotten to drive it much, but when I get done with college that is all going to change! I also should mention that I got a Marti Report for my Bronco and it Turns out that it is a one of one truck! I will post the Marti down below. The Bronco is pretty spoiled. I have collected almost every possible "rare" option you could have gotten for a Bullnose Bronco. This includes fog lamps, underhood tool box, GT bar, and sliding quarter windows. I still would like to track down the factory Power mirrors. I have also bought an auto dim mirror and overhead console from a '96 Eddie Bauer. I tracked down a set of original red double sun visors from a 94-96 Bronco, and I also wired in a factory amplified Premimum Sound radio from an Eddie Bauer (dont worry I did not hack up the original dash wiring ) This truck is my total baby. I can't wait to have her painted and the stripes re done just like the factory. Here's just a few pics of my truck. I will be posting more over Christmas break.

Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1989 F-250HD XLT Lariat Super Cab
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: '85 Bronco XLT "Motorsport 5.8HO"

1986F150Six
Administrator
Ummmm… very nice!
Reply | Threaded
|

MotorsportXLT
In reply to this post by MotorsportXLT
Here is a Copy of the Marti
Chris McGaugh
1982 F-150 XLS Flareside
1985 Bronco XLT "Lariat"
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1989 F-250HD XLT Lariat Super Cab
1994 F-150 XLT Lightning
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Very nice!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - I love it!!!!  Well done, and can't wait for more pics.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I can definitely appreciate your attention to detail.

Nice Bronco!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Nice thread Chris, I know I’ve heard bits and pieces of the back story on this Bronco, but never put it all together. You have added some very nice options! This is something I wish to find... an engine-less Bronco at a reasonable price 😉
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
Great project and very similar to mine, right down to the tool box, GT bar and sliding windows.  I too am building a 351 but I'm using the OEM air filter tray.  I like what you did with the air filter on yours, would you mind telling me how you did the cover?  I assume you sprayed over a cover but who's?  Also, and most importantly, where did you plumb the breather for the valve cover?  I see it sneaking below the filter but how does it connect?  Great job and keep up the good work!

1983 Bronco XLT being rebuilt/restored with a 5.8 HO & ZF5 and a pile of other improvements..... Serpentine drive; saginaw saw; 3G swap; manual swap with a ZF5; hydro boost swap to name a few....
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Chris,

What a thread! I am very impressed with your focus to detail. I look forward to many more of your posts. Thanks for letting me know I waaaaaayyy overpaid for my Bronco!!!
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.