classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

84 F150 302 AOD Longbed

Crixmix
Hello everyone here is the start of my thread about Loretta

First of all I’ve been doing some research and coming up pretty confused. I have read that depending on what carburetor I have I might not be able to upgrade to a newer better carb if it is an  EEC-IV?
I currently have the original motorcraft carb in the truck that is stamped with E4TE AFA. I would ideally like to upgrade the intake manifold and go to a 4bl carb and would love any info or recommendations of what is possible and which would be best for this.
Thanks
Chris R
Loretta is my 84 F150 302 2wd AOD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 84 F150 302 AOD Longbed

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My understanding is that you'll need to change the ignition system, because the engine management computer goes brain dead if it can't find, get input from, and control any of the components of the system.

This can mean the older Ford DuraSpark II system, or an 'all in one' HEI style distributor.
Either way engine vacuum controls the advance, and the computer (with its associated wiring) gets removed.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, Jim/ArdWrknTrk is right.  It is all-in or nothing.  Change something and the computer gets upset and locks the ignition timing, which only it controls, into "limp-home" mode.  And that means the power and MPG are gone.

But there are fairly easy ways around that.  The EEC-IV system is pretty much stand-alone and can be removed w/o messing anything else up.  And if you get the DS-II ignition wiring for a 302 it'll plug right into the harness where the EEC-IV's ignition is currently plugged in.  Add the right distributor and a carb w/o computer control and it'll work just fine.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Chris, are you located in an area which checks emissions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Crixmix
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hey all
Thanks for the quick replies! Sorry I am new to any kind of auto mechanical anything haha. As for the DS II or HEI style which would be better? Are there any recommendations on where to find everything I need in one place?
Chris R
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The HEI will be easier to source and less expensive, but there's a lot to be said for having a stock configuration, where any auto parts store can help you fix it.

It's your call.

The DSII system was installed in millions and millions of Ford's (and some AMC) during the late 1970's & early '80's.
My '87 has it.

I have recommended Skip White distributors in the past.
They have a presence on Amazon and eBay.

Inexpensive, but the couple I've done fit well, and those people have never been callbacks.
I don't have any long term experience with ownership, so I can't say.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Crixmix
Don't miss David's question about emissions testing.  If you have them the truck won't pass the visual part if you change - even if it would pass the tailpipe test, which isn't likely.

As for getting it all in one place, I don't think that is likely unless you have a salvage nearby that has several of these truck.  As far as I know, no one sells a "kit".

Comparing the HEI, or a "one-wire" distributor, to the Ford DS-II dizzy is interesting.  We have a page on that (Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and then the Ignition Simplification tab) that attempts to describe the advantages and disadvantages of each.  See what you think.

But the comment about "fitment" is especially appropriate when discussing a 302.  If I remember correctly they cause problems with the air cleaner on those engines.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Hi Chris, my truck is also a 1984 F150 with original 302, but my truck was a factory DSII truck. I don't think we got the feedback systems up here in Canada...we went straight from DSII to EFI. If there were feedback systems up here, I've never seen one.

Good luck with the build/rehab of the truck. The lowly 302 gets a bit of a bad rap as a truck engine, but they are still a great little engine with loads and loads of aftermarket support.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
Slap in the DS II. I  can't tell you about the visual inspection on emissions but the tailpipe test surely isn't getting passed now as is if there is testing. There isn't any where I live. Even if there isn't remember it is surely not running it's best to say the least. A thought on the visual check, wasn't that era of trucks built with either the DS II or the FB system? If so couldn't one change over not just the ignition but also the emissions sticker on the core support? It seems to me if done like that, it would not only take care of a visual inspection in your area if there is one, but save some future owner down the road a headache as well.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The 351 H.O. had a 4V and Duraspark II.
But they're going by the VIN, not some sticker on the radiator support.

These vehicles have aged out of inspection in CT but I don't know about NY State.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
Just a thought on a possible solution.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Crixmix
I’m pretty sure they don’t do emission testing here but thanks for all the great info. How do I tell if I have the feedback carb?
Chris R
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Does it have a vacuum advance on the distributor?
What does the ignition coil look like?
Does the carburetor have any wires (other that the choke heater)?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Crixmix

And yes it does have a vacuum advance on the distributor and as far as I can see the only wires going to the carb go to the choke.
Chris R
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Crixmix wrote
And yes it does have a vacuum advance on the distributor and as far as I can see the only wires going to the carb go to the choke.
Well then, that sounds like a factory DSII truck, unless somebody converted it previously. Do you have any history on the truck? Is the whole engine blue or just the valve covers? They would have been grey originally, so somebody painted them or replaced them. I see a couple vacuum port caps, so somebody did that too. The exhaust crossover valve in the intake is capped off as well I see...but by this time, lots and lots of owners have ripped out a lot of vacuum lines.

My '84 F150 has the exact same engine, and I had mine all done over. I went with an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake manifold, and a Holley 4160 4bbl carb. That's a good start at least. In stock trim your engine has 8.3:1 compression and I believe 135HP and 250 ft/lbs Torque.

Reply | Threaded
|

Crixmix
Hmm interesting

I dont have much history on it i bought it off a buddy who only had it for 4-5 years. I have not a lick of knowledge of car/truck stuff but am trying to ideally trying to get it it looking fresh and new again.

As for the engine only the valve covers are blue.

And yeah alot of the vacuum lines just go to nothing at this point in the truck and are mostly capped off.

So then I should be able to put an after market manifold and carb on without worrying about any computer issues?

Also sorry for the bombardment of questions but like I said i have only a months worth of youtubing mechanic knowledge haha.

But with that said it seems like the truck has issues shifting and going into overdrive. I know you are supposed to be able to adjust the throttle cable/rod or something in order to fix that. But upon inspection it looks like there is just the ball chain connector you can see in the photo above. So if any one has advice on how to go about fixing that that would be great.

Im hoping to replace the carb and manifold within the next few weeks and want to make sure i get all the parts needed for it.
Chris R
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yep!

Looks like factory DSII truck to me.

You're good to go.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Crixmix wrote
But with that said it seems like the truck has issues shifting and going into overdrive. I know you are supposed to be able to adjust the throttle cable/rod or something in order to fix that. But upon inspection it looks like there is just the ball chain connector you can see in the photo above. So if any one has advice on how to go about fixing that that would be great.
Ok, I'm not an expert with automatic transmissions in these trucks, but lets confirm what you've got here.

The cable with the ball chain on the end should be for the cruise control.

The kickdown rod for the transmission is in your picture posted above. It is a hard metal rod that goes from the throttle on the side of the carb back towards the firewall, and then down to the transmission.

Which brings up another question...I thought the AOD trans was cable controlled, and your transmission definitely has a kickdown rod...so are you sure this truck has an AOD trans? I had it in my head that the AOD didn't show up until 1985, but I could be wrong on that. Like I said, I'm no expert when it comes to auto transmissions.

Can you post a picture of the certification label that is inside the driver's door jamb, on the cab next to the striker post where the driver's door latches? Or tell us what letters are shown under the "Trans" and "Axle" sections...

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Rembrant wrote
Crixmix wrote
Ok, I'm not an expert with automatic transmissions in these trucks, but lets confirm what you've got here.

The cable with the ball chain on the end should be for the cruise control.

The kickdown rod for the transmission is in your picture posted above. It is a hard metal rod that goes from the throttle on the side of the carb back towards the firewall, and then down to the transmission.

Which brings up another question...I thought the AOD trans was cable controlled, and your transmission definitely has a kickdown rod...so are you sure this truck has an AOD trans? I had it in my head that the AOD didn't show up until 1985, but I could be wrong on that. Like I said, I'm no expert when it comes to auto transmissions.
The AOD debuted in 1980 when the Bullnose was first introduced, but it was actually designed in the early-mid 1960s.  It was the very first automatic overdrive transmission offered.

The early trucks (and cars) with a carburetor and AOD used a TV ROD.  It looks very similar to a C4/C6 kickdown rod, but it is very different.  The carburetor is different as well.  Carburetors with an AOD had a special linkage for the TV rod to connect to.

No aftermarket carburetor has the correct linkage for the stock Ford AOD TV rod to connect to. The Ford "kickdown linkage" is not the same and absolutely will not work!  If you switch to an aftermarket carburetor, you can count on also replacing the TV rod with an aftermarket TV cable.  Stock Ford TV cables showed up when EFI was introduced.

This is how you adjust the stock Ford AOD TV rod:

https://images.carid.com/bm/transmission-and-drivetrain/pdf/40263-installation-instructions.pdf

(see page 9 and 10)

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Crixmix
I believe the transmission was swapped two owners again. Not exactly sure which manual transmission it was prior though. So is the ball actually for the cruise control?
Chris R