80 F100 Flareside

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

80 F100 Flareside

crestfallinman
so now that i mostly got my electronics working again i figured i would post a brief history of my truck

first off its an '80 F100 Custom with a 302 and a T18 (used to be a different manual) and 2wd

its actually just her truck, im the chauffeur

i have owned it since 2010 have had 2 small fires (due to previous owners lack of wiring skills) swapped out the old beat up 4 speed for a new to me t18.

i have had a lot of busted knuckles, many frustrating afternoons tracing wiring woes and many lessons learned the hard way, but i wouldn't change a day of it for anything

when i figure out how to make these photos larger i will repost

1980 f100 Flareside 302/T19 2wd
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 80 F100 Flareside

FuzzFace2
Welcome to Garagemahal.
Lot of good people and information.

Nice looking truck.
If you can post up the cert sticker from the door jamb if still there. This way we can see what trany it started with and the gear ratio out back.

Being an 80 model year the only thing I know of different is some wiring for the dash gauges mostly.
Cant remember if there is more at this time but don't think so.

What are your plans with the truck? Just enjoy driving it or bigger plans?

As for the pictures when you clicked the "insert image" button up top it should have posted where you can pick the size on the right side IIRC.

This is the 500x500 size of my 81 flare side I am doing a cab off frame rebuild on
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by crestfallinman
Welcome!!!  

On the pics, there are two ways.  If they are of sufficient density to look good large, you can edit your post and put width="100%" in the code.

I've copied the URL of your pic and done the "Insert Image" step.  Then I added the width info and forced it to be 100%.  You can see the effects, below, and the code looks like this, although I left the "<" and ">" off:

nabble_img src="IMG_0159.jpg" border="0"width="100%"/

And, you can see that the bit-density isn't quite enough to give a good pic at that size.  But you can easily edit your post and make it 75 or 80% and see if that works.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

crestfallinman
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I will get a picture of that and post it

My main plan right now is to fix the few rust spots and get it cleaned up a bit, the patina on the truck is pretty good so I will run with that until I get everything else up to where I want it.

I want to lower it 3/4 and make it into a muscle truck of sorts, it has the 302 which I still have to decide if I want to rebuild it and beef that up or if I just want to drop in a 351. I like keeping the factory engine but there's no replacement for displacement lol

I also have to replace the bed floor, I threw in a makeshift bed floor out if pressure treated decking years ago ( because I didn't have the money or the know how to put the or style in)

It has been in hold for the past few years due to me buying a fixer upper house but now I have some funds to throw back at it

And I swapped in a tach instrument cluster (swapping 2 wires in the factory harness makes everything work right)
Reply | Threaded
|

09wingates
I bet it originally had the Clark 4spd. My 82 F100 custom flareside has that. I will say I wish mine had the T18
82 F100 Flareside 300 I6 4spd.
2012 F150 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
crestfallinman wrote
I will get a picture of that and post it

My main plan right now is to fix the few rust spots and get it cleaned up a bit, the patina on the truck is pretty good so I will run with that until I get everything else up to where I want it.

I want to lower it 3/4 and make it into a muscle truck of sorts, it has the 302 which I still have to decide if I want to rebuild it and beef that up or if I just want to drop in a 351. I like keeping the factory engine but there's no replacement for displacement lol

I also have to replace the bed floor, I threw in a makeshift bed floor out if pressure treated decking years ago ( because I didn't have the money or the know how to put the or style in)

It has been in hold for the past few years due to me buying a fixer upper house but now I have some funds to throw back at it

And I swapped in a tach instrument cluster (swapping 2 wires in the factory harness makes everything work right)
Sounds like a good plan so far.
On the lowering part the rear is no problem it's the front that is.
https://djmsuspension.com/ 
Makes kits for the rear up front they only make it for the small kingpin suspension.
Do you have power brakes? What is the wheel bolt pattern size would it be 5 x 4.5?
If yes to both you MAY have the small kingpins from what I have look into on this.
What you can do is swap in the later front suspension that has ball joints.

For the motor you are right on the displacement part. How hard do you think it would be to find a 351W then rebuild it to drop in? A member on here just did up his 302 in his flare side I am sure he will tell you all about it.

Don't get me started on the bed! I had nothing to put the boards on in my truck. Someone had 2x2 sq. tubing laid across the frame and planks on them that were all warped. I do not know how the bed stayed on for the trip home?
I used the ribbed metal floor from my parts truck to replace the wood & cross members. I had to cut and weld it to make it work but it looks like the factory did it this way.
I know of a member that did his the same way after seeing mine.

Did I tell you mine is a cab off frame rebuild? There is not 1 part I have not had my hands on.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by 09wingates
It definitely had the 3speed with OD.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'd say the engine choice depends on what you are going to do with the truck.  If you are going to tow with it the 351 would be my choice.  It won't cost much, if anything, more to build than a 302 and will give more torque with the same investment.  But if you aren't going to tow and will drive it, and especially if it is going to be a daily driver, then the smaller engine can be both strong enough and more efficient.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

crestfallinman
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Yeah I have the bigger 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern so I have the bigger kingpins, I emailed djm every month for about 4 years asking about the lowering kit, alas when they came out with it I didn't have the funds lol

If I can find a 351 it shouldn't be terrible to bolt up, the only downside is if I keep it "period" I would need a 351m which uses the bb bellhousing so I would have to find a 351c or 351m. I do have to change my oil pan gasket, (dreading that job) so when I do that I feel like I will get a better feel for how the internals are and if it's doable to slap on a better set of heads, a hopped up cam and some headers and go with the 302

In my slightly older years I have the woodworking tools and experience to fit up the right wood bed, I just have to actually do it

Wow cab off, I would love to do that down the road. I can't wait to see yours when it's done, But I love driving this thing it's hard to rip apart a truck that's running well Lol

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wouldn't go with a 351M.  It isn't that I don't like them.  I really do like them.  However, you cannot get pistons for them that provide anything more than just barely 8:1 compression.  Instead, you would need to find a 400, which is exactly the same but has 1/2" more stroke.  There are good piston choices for them.

But I'll warn you that building a 400 is more expensive than building a Windsor.  There aren't that many doing it so the parts prices are higher.

However, how many people do you know that can tell the difference in a 302 and a 351W just by looking?  Yes, a 351W is not "correct" in an '80, but very few will know that nor be able to tell the difference.

Reply | Threaded
|

crestfallinman
Yeah the more I read about the 351m made me want to do that less, the downside is they are so accessable. There are several in my area at low prices.

For now I think in going to keep the 302, I like the motor, it runs well and when I get some time I can hop it up and it will be enough for me. I don't plan on towing with this truck, it is more of a fun truck to take out on the weekends and make short trips around town, plus I love the sound of a 302 with a good set of heads

In the future I would love to get a 351w and have it built maybe even stroked to a 408, but for now I think if I throw a good set of headers and a few minor mods on, the 302 should be more than enough

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I am with Gary on the 351W who would know it's not a 302?
I think someone pointed out you can see the space between the intake to block is different between them but again you would really need to know your motors to tell.

In my old age I some times take the easy route just has not been on this project.
Oh it was just a cheap $800 truck to run trash to the dump, not any more LOL
I know you, others and myself cant wait to see the truck done too!
The big hurtle now is to get paint on it, then it will feel like it's down hill from there.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

crestfallinman
i found a couple of older pics from when i had the gen 1 lightning rims

they are also much better quality pictures

i switched back to the original style wheels with white letter tires, and im still unsure which look i prefer
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good!  But I think I'd like the original wheels better than the Lightning rims.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I personally went down the 351M/400 rabbit hole with my 1980 F150, for the same reason of "keeping it original". Trust me, it's not worth it. You'd be surprised how many things are 80-81 specific on those motors. If you really wanted to keep it original, you'd have to source all of that stuff too, and it's not easy.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
crestfallinman wrote
i found a couple of older pics from when i had the gen 1 lightning rims

I like those rims!