4x4 shifter handle dimensions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

4x4 shifter handle dimensions

Nickelplate
Hey all! Does anyone happen to know the diameter and spline count of the 4x4 shifter handle on our trucks?
1986 Bronco. 5.0L, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 EFI, Baumann-controlled 4r70w, 3.55 gears, 31" tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 4x4 shifter handle dimensions

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Does my '87 count?
I just glued it back on when I blew my rear end up, but I'm sure it will come off w/ heat.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nickelplate
I'm sure it's probably the same, but don't unglue it on my account. I was only asking if someone knew off-hand so that I wouldn't have to go through the ordeal of removing my own! I'll check the ol' warehouse and see if I have a spare in a pile somewhere. I'll report it back here if I find one just so it's written down somewhere.
1986 Bronco. 5.0L, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 EFI, Baumann-controlled 4r70w, 3.55 gears, 31" tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I have a torch... and a caliper.

I just got back up, so I need something to do with myself. 🙄
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator

I'm pretty sure I count 48 splines, but my eyes aren't so good anymore..
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Nickelplate
Thanks, man! Those splines are way smaller and more numerous that I remembered! I'm looking into making a custom shifter knob and I'd rather see if I can source new materials like splined collars rather than take apart an existing part.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
IDK how much it helps, but I try...  😄

What kind of "custom"?

Shaun, Salans7 has just documented a '70's 4x4 shift in his truck.

Otherwise I would suggest molding the knob to the splines with steel filled epoxy (like JB Weld.)
Just spray the stick with Teflon dri-lube or even Pam cooking spray...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by Nickelplate
Not sure if this is helpful but I had the same exact setup on my 85 F250 HD truck “Big Red” and I tried to find a knob that worked for a long time. Got tired of searching. Found an old piece of walnut that I turned myself an handle out of. I just drilled a hole in the knob close to the spline diameter and hammered it on there.

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My T-19 knob was Padouk...

It fit with the interior.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Nickelplate
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I do a lot of woodworking, and my wife is just learning to do leatherwork. She likes doing custom car stuff, but only small things at a time. I was thinking about doing a small project together of something with polished burl wood and some of this new leather she got that looks really good. It's just in the idea stage for now, but I'll be sure to post it if/when it happens!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
She should stitch you a steering wheel cover.
Wet mold and a baseball stich.
It'll be nice when it dries and tightens up.  😉
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Nickelplate
That would be badass!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I did a lot of leather work as a tween.
There was a shop in town "Bags to Britches"

It stems from horseback riding..
I really like foxhunting, but I took great pride in my tack being in fine fettle.

I still have a bunch of stuff....

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Nickelplate
That's really cool! Her family used to have horses as well, so maybe that's where the interest comes from.

We have a big leather store in town where you can get half hides for $25 if they have a "blemish" on them. Some of them are not even noticeable, or might just be something cool like a branding mark. I'm hoping we get more into it and can make some really pro stuff some day.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Where's "town" (sorry I don't remember every member's data)

Damn, that's a great deal!
What kind of hides? Veg tan? Oil? Chrome?
Weights???

I worked mostly with harness leather, so a lot of 8-10 oz horsehide, but that russet bag you see with a bunch of other tools in it is 5-6 garment leather.
And you can see the shoe anvil and farriers hammer so obviously I'm a bit of a cobbler too...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by viven44
That's very nice. Walnut is my favorite wood. I have a 4" x 4" chunk of it but don't know what to do with it. And ain't got no lathe, neither.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Do you have a drill press?  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Nickelplate
Springfield, MO

Not sure of the "specs" of the stuff we got, but the store has all different kinds laid out. I don't really know too much about it. The one we got is about 1/8" thick.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
Thanks! I love walnut too... we have 1000+ Board feet of walnut that my father-in-law milled in the 80s when he cut a couple of giant trees in the property that were damaged in a storm (?). We haven't used any of it much. We made a few furniture pieces for my kids. I started as a woodworker before I got much into trucks.

The lathe I have is a 1987 Craftsman NOS. I literally unboxed it. It was a crazy lucky buy from a Yard sale hoarder that stored it for 25 years in the attic  Haven't used it much except random things like this.
Vivek

- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
For some reason I had assumed your ZF-5 was stock. T-19 is what your 87 came with ?
Vivek