4V Choke electrical voltage

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
43 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 4V Choke electrical voltage

BigBrother-84
Matt, you're absolutely right.  Pumping the pedal is not the correct word, pardon my poor English.  There is certainly another way to describe this furious pedal movement.

What I mean is, if I don't "force" the fuel into the carb with pedal «pumping», the engine will take much longer to start.

I suppose that the "rhythm" of the fuel pump is constant, feeding the carb with a regular fuel flow.  But I cannot just leave the carb alone for "pushing" fuel into the mixture.  Well, I cannot explain why, but not touching the pedal while waiting for the start is really not the same as "pumping" it.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
no. actually you are pumping the accelerator pump within the carb each time you use the pedal. but in doing so you are spraying raw fuel into the airflow and drawing it from the small reservoir in the carb before it is being replenished. it can only get replenished by the fuel pump if the engine is turning /running. this is not as much of a problem in the great white north as it is down here "below the line" in the summer where cars left for a couple weeks may not have any fuel left in the carb at all. I know that I hate riding the starter to get fuel to it. electrics are better for this.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Gentlemen, thanks for your advices!

Moving the carb bowl filling question to a separate topic.  Curious about your experiences with mechanical fuel pump and dry bowls.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Filling-dry-carburetor-bowl-tp130566.html
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.