classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

4180C Power Valve Identification and substitutions

Orkea6
Hey Guys,

Thanks to the wonderful documentation found here (thanks Gary)  - I finally know the correct power valve (economizer) part number for my 85 E-350 as taken from the F-350 build calibration code 3-97J-R11 and Parts List # 390, which translates to component parts list for the carb as 95.5C (whew).  I see my truck has a E3TZ-9510-RD carb with a r/b of E3PZ-9510-BN (*CA-3473) and going down the list to the Economizer/Power Valve- I see it listed as CE-220 or E3PZ 9A565-A - my question is regarding the sizing and substitutions: I have a new Motorcraft CE-135 E0TZ 9A565-C valve- is that a valid substitute for the CE-220? What are the differences? Can I swap some parts from the old power valve to make it work? Also, the original carb is rebuilt at least twice and pretty sure the power valve is whatever came in the kits we used. Its been 10 years since we did last rebuilt it and a backfire did this one in. I'm hoping going back to original valve will help economy on this (yeah, always single digits- but 7 to 8 MPG is a BIG jump). Thanks in advance for any insight you might provide for this.

Cheers,

Bill
1984 F150 Short Bed
4.9L 300/6 with 4 speed OD
1984/5 E350 with Super Duty package
7.5L C6 Dana 70 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 4180C Power Valve Identification and substitutions

85lebaront2
Administrator
The problem I ran into was Holley has discontinued the two stage power valves that were originally fitted to these carburetors. The two stage had an orifice that opened around 10.5" manifold vacuum or essentially at part throttle, the main enrichment was at around 6" manifold vacuum basically WOT.

The idea was to allow the carburetor to be jetted leaner for "economy" and emissions, but enrich the mixture a little during part throttle to prevent stumble and the need to open further. Carter used the same concept for Chrysler by using a few changed parts in the metering system to give a two stage enrichment. Both systems were stopgaps by the respective factories and suppliers to meet EPA standards until their EFI systems were on-line.

What you will end up with is a compromise, either an earlier enrichment, or possibly a lean stumble until the valve opens.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Orkea6
Thanks for the detailed response- still digging in to the wealth of official information here. You guys rock!

I made a mistake in my post- I have in hand a CE-136 (not a CE-135) which I  think is a two stage. I also have a Standard brand "hygrade" kit with what appears to be a two stage  valve- I just have no idea the ratings vs the OEM CE-220. I found a list here on the 2150 (?) section with some power valve ratings - but neither were on the list. Perhaps someone may know what the ratings are and if I can swap the brass parts over to overcome the blown diaphragm- of course, this assumes my old carb might still have a CE-220 in it. I can find a new CE-220 still out there, but what I can no longer find on the Holley site is the modification kit to add a check valve and prevent this happening again. LOL- I'm just a needy sort of guy. Guess I'll dig in and see what I run up to.

Cheers.

Bill
1984 F150 Short Bed
4.9L 300/6 with 4 speed OD
1984/5 E350 with Super Duty package
7.5L C6 Dana 70 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
A Holley power valve usually had it stamped on the side of the hex for the wrench. It will be a number like 65, 85, 105. Sick a decimal in front of the last digit (usually a 5) for the value in inches for vacuum.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413