classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

3M Bluetooth Hearing Protectors

kramttocs
Administrator
The HF posts in the whydtytt thread got me thinking about what I've used a lot while restoring Camano.

The 3M Worktunes are high in the top five.
Beyond being excellent hearing protectors the Bluetooth makes it easy to listen to books on tape while spending hours in front of the blast cabinet.

They also work well on the mower especially with the loud leaf vac running.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 3M Bluetooth Hearing Protectors

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those are cool!  And something I really ought to do.  Thanks!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Being able to listen to music or books while grinding, buffing, wire wheeling a frame, etc really makes it enjoyable.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Nice. I really like the idea of this headset. I developed an annoying case of tinnitus a couple years ago and now where hearing protection for EVERYTHING. I have a couple ear muffs like these, but without the Bluetooth. I wonder if they would bother me....hmmm.

Oh, a quick Google search shows plenty of them in-stock locally, so I might have to try a set.

Thanks for the heads up.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Mine is not Blue Tooth but a radio and I can use a cable from the phone to the head set.
I use them, with out the cable & phone just radio, when cutting the grass.
3 hours bouncing around on the tractor and hearing the 3 blades run you cant hear a thing when you get off.
Only thing I found is they clamp too tight on my head and wearing glasses it starts to hurt after a bit.
After 3 years I did bend them out a little but only cut half the grass so not a real test if that worked yet.

So far in the garage I have not needed anything but could grab the head set if needed.
I also have some of them foam ear plugs handy so I don't have to run to the house for the head set.
I have computer speakers up high I plug my phone into for music.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Let us know if you do. These have been comfortable enough that I tend to leave them on long after any loud noises necessitate them.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I just ordered the 3M's from Amazon.  I've been using the little foam pellets as I chisel out rivets, but not while blasting nor mowing.  But I know I should have been.

And, I discovered that they have an "INTEGRATED MICROPHONE lets you make and take phone calls without removing the hearing protection".  Even better.

This will make it fun.  Thanks!

EDIT: I ordered them at ~8:00 AM today and they are to be here tomorrow!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Let us know what you think about them, Gary.
I was looking at them last night but the negative reviews dissuaded me from buying.
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I've been using mine heavily for a year now. Battery life is outstanding. Range can be somewhat limited but they easily connect to my phone anywhere in the shop and if I am on the tractor or mower my phone is in my pocket.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I will let y'all know what I think.  but my phone is always in my pocket, so if I keep my head on my shoulders the distance problem shouldn't be too bad.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Good to know, they've been on the wishlist for a while, but with comments like "phone in back pocket and audio still intermittent", and "the mic picks up everything (no noise cancellation)", I don't want to deal with over promise/under deliver and then the hassle of returning, etc.
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Iv'e been using my Bose sound cancelling headphones and Bluetooth-ing Slacker radio (free)
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bose makes good headphones, but from what I've seen they are lots more than $50.  Right?  And do they have a microphone?

As for content, I have lots of music on my phone.  But I also have SiriusXM in Blue, which entitles me to listen on a mobile device.  (Hence the desire for a Bluetooth head unit in Big Blue.  )

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Bose noise cancelling ones are superb. Borrowed some for a long flight awhile back.

You guys mentioned the mic on these. I've talked to people on the phone while out in the shop and no one has said anything poor quality but I've never been on the receiving end so can't really comment on that.

Not surprisingly I do lose signal if I walk out of the metal shop with my phone inside but now I am in the habit of pressing the button on the headset to pause the book/song and then press it again when I reenter.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have some long flights in the not too-distant future.  May try the 3M's on that.

Amazon still says they'll be here tomorrow, and the weather is holding out, so I may get to try them mowing.