classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

38 gallon tank upgrade

Lima Delta
Hi all,
My truck is currently off-line due to a number of issues with both fuel tanks and the switching valve that I've been putting off dealing with. Rather than redo both tanks, I'm thinking I'll just go to a single rear 38 gallon tank. I'm looking at this one from LMC which says is direct fit and comes with parts to modify the sender:
https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/gas-tanks-parts/fd-1980-89-38-gallon-extra-capacity-rear-mount-gas-tank

Anyone have experience with this particular tank?
I also need a new filler neck and hose and I'd like to consider using the later model filler from the bricknose trucks. Anyone know if this has been done using this particular tank?

Cheers!
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 38 gallon tank upgrade

Ifitaintbroke
I have not used the LMC, but I have a 38 gal from Precision. If you have a good sender modifying it may work fine.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
we did one a couple years ago on an 89/90 model. same customer complaint and wanted simplicity. it takes up all of the spare tire space. it did work out well, but the modification of the sender is a bit precise and even then, the sender does not read a good scale. very common
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Good to know, thanks guys.
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Having a hard time getting my order through at LMC, so now I'm looking at Rockauto where they have the Spectra Premium 38 gallon F26D tank which I understand is also a direct fit, but the product info says this tank is compatible with electronic fuel injection. Just to be clear, this is for my '85 F250 with 351W, carbed with engine mounted mechanical fuel pump.

Question for the forum: Does anyone know if this tank is also compatible with non-EFI?

Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
if your truck is an 85 then I would expect it to have a tank compatible for either. the main difference is the top plate of the sender is larger but will only have the fittings for your specific model. the tanks had to be redesigned in 85 for the access for the in-tank pump used on efi models therefore the senders for carb got the same larger top plate to cover the larger hole.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Ok, thanks again you guys.