351W wrist pin question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

351W wrist pin question

estes8693
I had new pistons installed by a local machine shop. One of them wouldn't budge. after an oil application it is free'd up. Now the wrist pin is moving when I move the connecting rod. These were pressed in. Is this okay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNAD48sxyvg
1986 F150 2WD Single Cab. 351HO .030 over. C6 Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 351W wrist pin question

old55pete
No it is not, the wrest pin should be solid in the piston and the rod should rotate on the wrist pin. check the rest of them and make sure they an not doing the same thing. there is oil pressure to the wrist pin through the rod, but not out to the piston it's self. This will cause the piston to fail and cause a wrist pin knock.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

estes8693
Just got home and all eight of them do the same thing. solid in the small end of the connecting rod and pivoting on the piston.
1986 F150 2WD Single Cab. 351HO .030 over. C6 Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I sir am going to take two steps back and aplogize, those pistons and wrest pins are correct and should be a little snug. I sir, am sorry for the missinformation.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC