351W "street" intakes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

351W "street" intakes

Lima Delta
I had been planning to reuse the original 4bbl intake from the stock HO engine in my truck on another 351W I've been building, but in the interest in reducing down time during the swap I'm considering my options for an aftermarket intake instead.

The engine I'm building has some mild improvements with a focus on bottom end power:
Edelbrock performer cam and timing set, stock E7 heads, Edelbrock 1406 carb.

I first considered an Edelbrock performer intake, but this intake seems to be out of stock everywhere.

I've also been looking at Weiand intakes. I was interested in their "Street Warrior" intakes, but it doesn't look like they make one for the 351W. I also looked at their "Stealth" intake but not really sure if this intake is really what I'm after in terms of performance as it seems more comparable to an Eddy performer RPM. Also, not sure if the stealth will fit under the hood...

Anyone have any experience with the Weiand intakes?
Any other dual plane street intakes I should be looking at?
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 351W "street" intakes

Pete Whitstone
I have the Weiand Stealth on my 351W. No hood clearance issues, and my engine sits higher than it should (long story), so you should not have a problem.

It's a great manifold for the money. The Motor Trend app has a show called Engine Masters, where they do a lot of dyno testing of various set-ups. They had an entire episode devoted to aftermarket 351W manifolds. It was Season 5 Episode 63 if you have a MT subscription. Although the Stealth was considerably cheaper than the Edelbrocks, it performed almost as well throughout the curves.

Here is a shot of the dyno test when they tested the Stealth. The other manifolds are the ghosted lines.

And here are the peak numbers for all the manifolds they tested:

You can see that it provided highest peak HP of all the manifolds, and also bested the Edelbrock Performer for peak TQ. The Performer RPM had the best peak torque of all, but it also had the highest carb pad of the 4 manifolds, so if you are concerned about fitting under the hood, probably not a good choice. Not to mention it's the most expensive.

As far as day to day with the Stealth, it's performed well. My A/T shifts my engine shortly after 4k rpm, and despite playing with an adjustable modulator, I can't seem to change that... so my engine really doesn't see any big flow. I'd get another one in a heartbeat.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Thanks Pete, that's helpful.
What carb are you running?

I do a lot of towing with this truck. How does your setup feel off idle from a stop?

Lucas
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
I run an Edelbrock 600cfm with the Ford kick-down lever, I got the carb from Summit with the manifold, I think.

I have never towed anything with my truck, truth be told I only have about a thousand miles on this truck and it's my first Bullnose, so I don't really have any before-and-after comparisons.

However, there is no lean stumble off idle or anything, and the truck pulls strong from fairly low down. The C6 and converter in it are from a motorhome, so the cam may be different than what would have come stock in a Bullnose. Not sure about the converter either but it also came from a motorhome so might not be the same as what would have come in a F150.

Hard to imagine a 351W pulling around a motorhome, that probably wasn't very fast.

In the few months, I will be converting over to Edelbrock multi-point FI, which comes with it's own manifold. Not sure how big a hurry you are in, but the manifold and carb will soon be available for cheap. Let me know if there's any interest there.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
How much would that loaded motorhome weigh? When I haul water with my truck I'm sitting at right around 11000 lbs combined, give or take...
I'm not setting any speed or acceleration records getting on the highway that's for sure, but I have to say that the old HO/C6 combo isn't anemic either and has been the most reliable engine and tranny combo I've ever had in a truck. The C6 is hard on gas though. I saw in your other thread you're updating to an E4OD - that's pretty slick... Multi-point injection too... You're making me jealous lol.
Coming out of a motorhome, I wonder if your 351 is also an HO? The HO motors got a cast iron 4bbl intake, Holley carb and a different cam from the standard 2bbl 351s.

Anyway, yeah, I would be interested in your intake if you decide to sell. Not sure where you're at, but I guess it's south of the border from me. Good news for me is I can now have things shipped to the border store in Grand Portage again and go pick them up without having to get a $200 test done to come back into Canada.

Cheers,
Lucas
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
It was not a small motorhome, it was not the kind that sits on a truck chassis and looks like a truck in the front, it was full-on-dedicated motorhome. I have no clue what something like that weighs, but 11,000 lbs would not surprise me at all.

A few times I used a 95 suburban to tow all my stuff to the race track. Between truck, trailer, race car, and all the tools and spares, I think I added up 14k lbs, and that had a 350 in it. Like you said, not fast...

Now you've got me curious about the HO stuff. I'll have to go look at the old manifold and see if it was 2v or 4v, I don't remember. I also don't remember where I put the thing... probably in the recycle pile behind the shop.

I am wayyyy south of your border, in the Dallas area. But glad you can go to the US to pick up, I've shipped parts to Canada before and it wasn't, uhh, easy.

I'll know more about when it will be available in a few weeks. Kind of depends how the E4OD swap goes.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Hey, thanks. Have a good thanksgiving!
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Lima Delta
Lima Delta wrote
I first considered an Edelbrock performer intake, but this intake seems to be out of stock everywhere.
Hey Lima,

I happened to come across a couple 351w intakes today while searching for a 302 intake. One in Ontario, and one in Quebec. A little far for shipping maybe, I don't know, but figured I'd share 'em up. One used, and one new, but both the same asking price.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/411688290547032/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A17092099-7a06-4ff5-8f8e-6bd86edd53fc

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/250738730363479/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A17092099-7a06-4ff5-8f8e-6bd86edd53fc
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Rembrant thanks!
I'm sitting here thinking I should start looking for a used Performer intake somewhere and lo!
The shipping may be prohibitive, but maybe I can talk the asking price down. $425 seems a bit steep for that used one...

Cheers!
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
Lima Delta wrote
Hey Lima,

I happened to come across a couple 351w intakes today...
Rembrant,
Just wanted to say thanks for the tip.
I managed to work out a deal including shipping for that first intake. It's going to look good with some new paint on it.
Was going to PM you instead of bumping this thread but the email kept glitching out...

Cheers!
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Looking for some experience with Edelbrock manifold/carb setups, specifically wondering about assembly height with the stock HO air cleaner.

I'll be using a 1406 on top of a Performer intake and am wondering about a 1" phenolic spacer, and whether this will cause any hood clearance issues?

I know the OEM intake uses an EGR spacer, and I think the Performer is a tad taller than the OEM HO intake... but I can't seem to find any specifics about the OEM intake to compare to.

Thanks!
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I have a Performer351, 1/4" spacer, Edlebrock 1406 carb, and an aftermarket aircleaner on my truck. I'm pretty sure the OEM unit sits lower than my aftermarket aircleaner. While I still have the OEM aircleaner, I can't get to it. My set up is pictured below. Is there any measurements I can get for you?  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Hi John,
I suppose if the air cleaner you're using is at least 1" (for safety) taller than the OEM cleaner (measuring from the cleaner's seating surface) that would prove there should be clearance.

Could you measure from the bottom seat of you cleaner to the top of the hold-down nut?

Thanks!
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Lucas, my air cleaner measures 2 5/8" over the top of my carb. In other words, that's how much space it takes up above the carb. The air cleaner has a 5/8" drop and this was figured into the calculation.

As I said, I think the OEM unit fits lower than this, but I could be wrong.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Ok, great, thanks again John.
I'm going to take a closer look at things under my hood later today.

Just to be clear, does that measurement include the hold down nut on top?

Cheers!
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Well, looks like I should have about 3/4" to spare under the hood...
But it's cold and windy out and I wasn't measuring as accurately as I might otherwise lol

John, the 1/4" spacer you're using - is that something akin to the "heat insulating gasket" Edelbrock sells?

Anyone out there running the same setup with a 1" spacer?

Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Lima Delta wrote
Well, looks like I should have about 3/4" to spare under the hood...
But it's cold and windy out and I wasn't measuring as accurately as I might otherwise lol

John, the 1/4" spacer you're using - is that something akin to the "heat insulating gasket" Edelbrock sells?

Anyone out there running the same setup with a 1" spacer?
Yes, that is exactly what it is. I'm very pleased with it too. Was wondering why you wanted to go with a 1" spacer. Honestly, think you'll be just fine with what I have.

Forgot to add the air cleaner nut at about 7/16".
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Lima Delta wrote
I'll be using a 1406 on top of a Performer intake and am wondering about a 1" phenolic spacer, and whether this will cause any hood clearance issues?
I only have the little 302 to compare to, but I thought that there was loads of room under there no?

I had an Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 4bbl, with a 1" spacer under the carb, and a 1" spacer on top of the carb. The air cleaner had a 1.125" drop, but I was running a 4" tall filter, so it basically adds up to 4" above the carb. Mind you, the "top" of the 302 is approximately 1" lower than a 351W. Even with all that, I thought there were still several inches clearance above the air cleaner lid. Could be wrong though.

I had to run the 1" spacer so that the 14" air cleaner would clear the coil and distributor, and also keep the throttle cable level in the factory position. The factory intake had that giant EGR spacer under there.

Of course the factory air cleaners have the massive "cut-out" in the front to clear the distributor and the coil (if mounted on the intake like mine was).

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
Yes, that is exactly what it is. I'm very pleased with it too. Was wondering why you wanted to go with a 1" spacer. Honestly, think you'll be just fine with what I have.

Forgot to add the air cleaner nut at about 7/16".
Ok, thanks. I've been looking at that gasket too, but they make a four-hole spacer I thought I might try (8711). I sometimes have hard starting issues in the summer using the 1406 on the stock manifold and spacer and thought a 1" phenolic piece might be a better insulator. I also thought it might be good for the bottom of the power band...

I may just go with the gasket though, not sure yet...
Lucas
Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
I only have the little 302 to compare to, but I thought that there was loads of room under there no?
You know it's funny because it does LOOK like there should be lots of room but every time I take some measurements and add things up, the numbers come out kinda skinny. But, jeez, even accounting for the "shorter" block, your assembly was quite a bit taller that what I'm proposing. Maybe I need to be more patient when taking my measurements and stop eyeballing the tape from a distance lol

Thanks both Cory and John for the engine bay pics btw. My engine project is starting to come together now and I've been thinking about things like coil placement, wire routing etc. Nice to see some examples!

Here's from last week, mocking up the water pump and timing cover (trying to find all the right bolts and their holes haha):

Lucas