351M—Thinking of getting this

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

351M—Thinking of getting this

AmericanSavage
Look what I found for cheap….thoughts anyone?

I think that’s the bracket for the AC sitting on it too.

1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 351M—Thinking of getting this

85pig
Yes - that's the AC compressor bracket.  Wanting to build it, or clean it up and install?  If the latter, I'd go ahead and pull the balancer, front cover plate, and swap the factory-retarded timing set out for an aftermarket set you can run "straight up".  
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Hi 85pig,

I am looking for a backup to be honest, and something that has not been touched.  I do want to rebuild it.  Mine runs fine, but, I am not sure what the internals look like—I do know when it was rebuilt the block was not flushed…so, anyway, I just want an extra around, and for the price the 351ms go (as compared to the outrageous price of the clevelands) it is a no brainer.

I have never really rebuilt an engine before, and would like to have one to do at a rather slow pace—especially since we are entering a time when we will likely need to stock up on things, especially parts (lots of incompetence in the aftermarket).  See Uncle Tony from last year on all that, and I would relate more but I do not want to run afoul of the board limits.  

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
I got it.  

Not sure of the year yet, because the numbers are rubbed off on the valve cover, but this is pretty decent shape to have most the valve cover stickers still on it.  I will say the part # for the AC bracket is E0TH—so at least an 80?  Intake is D8 part number.  Will look at casting on block to make sure.

Also nothing else came with it. What you see here is it.  Engine spins easy.  But I am going to rebuild anyway so…..

​​​​​​​
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
The emission label is what gives it away, as it states Applicable to 1980 Model Year vehicles" and the engineering number starts with E0.