351 W Build Gone Wild

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
128 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 351 W Build Gone Wild

Bruno2
Unfortunately I told a roofing contractor I do business with that I would paint a couple of chimneys for him because they are in a bind. So maybe Sunday...

I have to tackle the rear main seal right out of the gate. You know the one I am probably making a bigger deal out of installing than it probably will be???
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It sounds off-putting, but when you do it it isn't that big of a deal.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Going to try and get the rotating assembly put together today.

Wish me luck...
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck!  I'll check in later.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Well, I got started on the rotating assembly. I am pretty sure I got the rear main I was dreading installed correctly. (hoping)

I had to call the garagemahal for tech support on making sure I was installing the thrust bearing correctly on the crank. I followed procedure on it. I feel like it went in right. I even checked the end play with my dial indicator. I was in tolerance so the thrust bearing didnt have to be worked. End play was right at 0.005". I torqued everything to 95 ftlbs and then went to 105 ftlbs.

I was impressed with what I had accomplished. Suddenly I realized that I had not installed the camshaft yet... I grabbed a couple of pieces of 18 ga tie wire , looped them under where the cam will slide, bent a flux brush just right so I could paint the cam bearings with Comp's break in lube and went to work. I got the cam in with no issues so that was a relief. Comp is a little stingy with their break in lube for the flat tappet camshafts. I think there is enough left after painting the cam to do the lifters. I did put the lifters in a bucket of Rotella for a nice soak.

Then I started the piston connecting rod installation. I was at a loss on the ring installation so I had to call tech support to find outwhat order they went in. Jegs filled the bill on that one.Federal Mogul should hire somebody to write installation directions for them. Whoever is doing it now needs to be fired! So I began installing them and found out my Chinese ring compressor is a piece of junk. However, on a lighter note my Chinese ring installation tool was a piece of junk as well . They both seem to hate the really thin rings that sandwich the oil ring.

I was installing the third piston when I realized that I was paying no attention to how the rings were orientated. Needless to say the third piston was installed correctly and the first and second had to come back out. The top ring had no marking to indicate direction, but did have a bevel that couldnt be seen with naked eye. I was even using my bifocals. I had to put the calipers to the very edge to discover the 0.005" difference to orientate them correctly.

I messed around and installed one with only half a bearing. That was fun to try and get pushed back up just far enough to install the bearing half without pushing the rings back out of the hole. I managed to do it.

6 out of 8 were installed. I hope to get the other two in today and do the oil pump and sump. Maybe I can get the pan on too. The scavenger hunt is about to begin for the other parts and fasteners. I will probably get to use my CDI 3/8" torque wrench today. The 1/2" has been working like a champ. I have a bolt in the vice that I am using to warm them up before torquing.

Wish me luck!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You made a lot more progress than I thought you would.  

Won't be long until you are ready to install it.  I think you'll really enjoy that engine.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I got the rest of the pistons installed. I did the timing set most of the way. The timing set went down swinging. It was harder than Chinese Arithmetic to get everything lined up and sliding. I dont have the freeze plug in the back of the motor yet so I had a free range camshaft to deal with as well. Finally Hell froze over and it went together right...

I was a little stumped on the fuel pump eccentric. It did not have a round hole for the cam pin. Instead it has a square hole with a tab bent back to key it in the pinhole. Seems like it could move when in operation. The back piece of the eccentric is still puzzling me a little. It slides back and forth as well as spins. I sent Gary a video and he thought it was normal. The book recommended a dab of loctite on the cam bolt. So I havent loctited and torqued it because I need to know it is right before.

I scavenged through my bags of bolts , but couldnt find anything tagged "oil pump" or "pick up tube" bolts. The book says the oil pump bolts are 3/8'-16 TPI X 1-1/4" long with lock washers. Lo and behold right on the work bench was a pair of bolts matching the description. I put the new Melling pump on with the gasket and torqued it. I didnt put the oil pump drive shaft on because I couldnt find a new one in the shop. The book strongly advised not reusing the old one. I went along with it and just ordered a new Melling one. I am assuming I can get it in w/o pulling the pump.

I think I am going to run by the machine shop and see if they will hot tank my pick up tube for me. I only need one, but I will shelf the other. I am seeing where a new screen can be ordered for these. This makes me think I can pull the old one to be sure nothing is in it before installing. Does anybody know how to remove the screen?

Also, my machinist sent an oil defelctor or slinger with the motor?? He says it goes on the crank after the timing gear is on?? I have never seen one on a 351 W and I have dismantled a few. The hole in the middle is too smal to go over the crank so I am assuming this is not really for my motor as well as it doesnt need it??
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The oil pump drive normally has a keeper at the top so it doesn't come out with the distributor. Believe me, it can be a PITA to get back in if it does come out.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here's Brandon's video.  Y'all see what you think.

And Bill's right, there's a keeper or clip part way up the oil pump drive that keeps it from coming out.  Best to put it in from the bottom.

As for the oil slinger, the illustration I have here (Engines/Windsor Series) does show a slinger as "6310".  However, the catalog doesn't have a part number for one for a 351W.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I don't need to watch the video, Gary, unless M engines are way different from other Fords, what strikes you as looking strange about the cam gear?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's Brandon's video of his upside-down M.  And I don't see anything strange.  Was just posting it to help him.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
It looks to me like the thrust face of the cam gear is on the front, not the back where it belongs. That would put the section of the gear that should be through the thrust plate into the back of the eccentric. If his cam has a snout into the thrust plate, then he needs a cam gear with a flat rear face, no snout on it. Ran into that years ago on my 260 when I put a Lunatti hydraulic cam in it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bruno2
I think maybe you are missing the thrust plate that goes behind the cam gear?
I cannot think of another reason for the eccentric to be so sloppy fore 'n aft.

Block
Thrust plate
Cam gear
Eccentric
Retainer
Washer
Bolt

The eccentric should be free to spin.
I've never seen one flopping around that much.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I put the thrust plate on.I need to look at the old cam gear and see if it is different than the new Melling I put on it. Perhaps it isnt the right one?

I can see how it would spin freely, but the in and out slop as well as the fact that it can put itself in a bind looks wonky.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Cam gear was on backwards lol.

The rear has a hash mark straight down from the pin hole that was I was sure was the timing mark. However, it wasnt... Should go to together fine now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I am waiting on the oil pump driveshaft to arrive. I also dropped my oil pick up tubes off at the machine shop for them to put in the cleaning vat. Tommy said they should soak for a couple of days. So the build is on hold for a couple of days.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bruno2
That was why I said last night I didn't need to watch the video, it was obvious what was wrong (unless you are used to engines with the timing set buried, like MOPAR big blocks or Ford 335s).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It wasn't obvious to me.  

Sure glad you guys pointed it out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Ok, I need some assistance please:

I do not have a bag with front cover bolts (that I can find). I still have some loosey's on the bench.

My book says what length, diameter and thread pitch they are. It also says something a washer maybe being made into the head or is it one of those that has a free spinning washer that cant be removed?

Any pictures?

Thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't have a 351 but my 460 had flange head bolts up front.

I went with regular hex and washers when I changed to stainless.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.