351 Timing pointer issue

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

351 Timing pointer issue

jstone4646
Do these 351 motors have various timing indicators through the years?  Because when I set the timing on my 85 it was fairly straight forward and looked like this picture.

But the 84 has something just like this modified photo.  

It just has a flat edge barely above the circle there.  Could explain why I cant get her running again because I am trying to hit 10 BTDC on that flat edge which means my timing is way off if there is suppose to be an extended pointer on there.  Like I said it does not appear to be broken at all, its a clean cut straight line.  I remember when I timed the 85 that she had more like what is in the top photo.  I am starting to really wonder about this engine and its history....like it was a marine 351 out of a boat or something lol.
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 351 Timing pointer issue

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The book says all 81 - 85 351W's used E3AZ 6023-A.  So the '84 should have what the '85 had.

Can you find TDC accurately?  One way to do that is with a piston stop.  You turn the engine, gently, until the stop, which protrudes into the cylinder via a spark plug hole, hits the top of the piston and stops rotation.  Mark the balancer along the edge of the timing pointer.  Then turn back the other way, and mark the balancer where it stops.  Exactly 1/2 way between the marks is TDC.

That way you can use the pointer you have.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
Yessir I was able to clean my balancer enough and found my marks.  I have painted both TDC and 10BTDC on the balancer.  I have not however verified how well they line up with this Mark but I get what you mean.  I can use static marks for TDC and just roll it over to 10
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you found the marks, then find TDC with the procedure I described before and then position the engine on TDC.  Get a piece of wire, like a coat hanger, and fashion a pointer.  Put the back end of the pointer under a bolt and bend the wire until it points at TDC on the balancer.  Now you have a timing pointer.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
well that is easy, i will try that thanks!