35 Lbs Delivery

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

35 Lbs Delivery

Dyn Blin
The stalwart mail carrier is cursing my latest project.

Ryan at Blue Top has our generation steering box re-engineered rebuilds back in stock.

Looking forward to the install.  Posting a pic since it likely won't be this pristine for long:

Blue Top Box

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 35 Lbs Delivery

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  And, the blue top is pristine, w/o the scored paint of my RedHead.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Do the Blue-Top and RedHead installation instructions have fluid recommendation? If so, do they say we should use ATF or power steering fluid? I have seen a bit about these upgraded boxes and wonder if it matters. Also, is there a big difference between them? I haven't seen the Ford ones contrasted, but I imagine the Dodge ones have some of the same differences. My info so far comes from a Dodge truck forum, but those guys only speak in guesstimation and "here's what my uncle's truck could do." I have gotten used to the more precise language here on this forum. So, what do you perceive the differences to be for the Ford boxes between BT and RH?
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
I'll defer to those that have experience with both builds to contrast any hardware differences.  BlueTop's site indicates Ryan used to work with RedHead before taking over the family shop in ND, so I would expect there to be similarities.  I will take a moment to say that Ryan"s patience and demeanor won the sale after my first call to RedHead.

To the fluid question,  I did specifically ask if he recommended any other formulation besides Ford/Motorcraft Type F, and he indicated no, "The OEM Type F will be just fine! ".  He also emphasized the importance of a flush for performance and warranty.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think very few of us will have experience with both RedHead and Blue Top.  My experience is with RH, and even that isn't complete as Dad's truck isn't in the road yet, so I don't know how much difference the true bearing in the bottom makes over stock.  However, the box is very tight and there's essentially no slack when I turn the input shaft back and forth by hand using the rag joint I installed to give me some leverage.  And, I would expect the same from a Blue Top box as they are said to be built the same way.

But my comment about the top of the Blue Top box not being scarred comes from the lack of care that was used to assemble my RedHead box.  They nicely painted the top and then someone who didn't care about attention to detail allowed the wrench or socket he was using to tighten the retaining bolts to lay down against the top of the box, and that took the paint off around the bolt heads.

Someone may think "that's picky", but I think it shows a disregard for details.  And if they would do that on the outside what did they do on the inside?

Compare Mark's pic to mine:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
I don't think it's picky at all.  Either assembly is pretty dear, and I would have the same question on care put into things you can't see.

I have nothing personally for or against either vendor, but I do appreciate a proprietor that takes a few minutes to explain methods and product, and welcomes further calls for help or feedback.  The similar call to RH was a different experience.   I don't begrudge anyone having a bad day, but my money will tend to go to the company that seems to value their customer' experience.  Attitude is not always reflective of product quality, but it's a good bonus.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Thanks! Makes sense, both of you.
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by FoxFord33
FoxFord33 wrote
Do the Blue-Top and RedHead installation instructions have fluid recommendation?
I specifically asked RedHead about fluid recommendations, and if I remember correctly I think they told me to use Dextron 3 (Or that is what they use).

I have a brand new RedHead box laying on the bench still in the USPS box.

I was going to try the BlueTop box, but in my case I was waiting for one of their sales...usually Thanksgiving or Christmas, and every time Bluetop was out of stock on the Ford boxes.

That blue sure looks pretty. Can wait to hear how she works!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Rembrant wrote
I specifically asked RedHead about fluid recommendations, and if I remember correctly I think they told me to use Dextron 3 (Or that is what they use).
That is interesting! I have heard these tidbits based upon which ps pump you have:
   With the "standard grade" pump, one should use exclusively ATF to avoid (or at least minimize) whine.
   With the Saginaw "ham can", one can use other power steering fluids because the pump can use it safely.

So, RedHead wants DexIII, was that based on which pump you have, or...???

Edit: Oh, yeah! and is all DexIII also Mercon? or is it different from the Dex/Merc?