classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

30x9.50R15 LT Alternatives?

Gimmeagig
Hi,
My 85 4X4 F150 is lifted ( not by much) and it currently has 30x9.5R15 LT Wheels with a locking hub on the front .
I noticed that it is really difficult to find decent used tires in that size. I am wondering if it is possible to swap the rims out for something more modern so that I would have better options when I need new tires.
Thank you
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 30x9.50R15 LT Alternatives?

JimJam300
Here is a link that will show similar sizes to yours.
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/30X9.50R15.htm

On my Bronco I bought 15x8 wheels and 31x10.5R15 tires, both are very easy to shop for if you don't mind going bigger. Pretty sure most 5x5.5 wheels will be the correct bore diameter for Ford hubs. I can also check the bore on my Dodge Ram wheels just for fun. If you're thinking about the complexity of newer cars I know where your head is at since I went through finding aftermarket wheels in a rare bore size that would fit my turbo Fiesta
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
In reply to this post by Gimmeagig
You could go with a 245/70R16, which is a 29.5" tall tire, or a 265/70r16 which is 30.5.  A 245/75 is also an option at 30.5"

If you go up to 17" wheels, add 1" to the OAD of the sizes above if you keep the width and aspect ratio the same.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gimmeagig
Thanks guys, I thought I would need special wheel that can accept the locking hubs. But from what you are saying it seems like any regular wheel that fits my bolt pattern can be used on the front. Is that right?
So right now I got the R15 wheels but my truck is lifted so I think a larger diameter wheel might actually look better. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money. I'd just like to know which wheel size I should look for that will also give me more of a selection of used tires. The first time I changed tires on my truck the only tires I could find used were Swampers ( which are on my picture) They looked really cool but the were terrible in the snow and noisy as hell on the freeway. But I did like the look of the bigger tires. But the tires I have now give me a super quiet ride. On the freeway I only hear wind noise, thats it. Pretty nice too.
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

Gimmeagig
So just to clarify, a R16 wheel would give me a better selection of used tires? And the locking hubs would fit?
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

Gimmeagig
Anybody? I don't have an answer I can use yet. What is the best wheel size to give me better choices for tires on the used market? I think larger wheels might look good on my truck but I don't know which size I should get.
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
You're the only one that can answer that, not us.  I'd never buy a used tire, and markets like that are going to be very regional.  You need to go out to whatever lot you're getting them from and see what they have most of.

Your first question though, no you don't need special 4x4 wheels.  Anything with an open center section will do, just don't put the centercap in.  Almost any steel wheel will work for that, you shouldn't have any trouble finding something cheap on marketplace.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gimmeagig
Thank you for answering my question. I know I have to be careful with used tires I'm aware of that and I really only drive the truck around town.
It's just that for the wheels that I have on there right now I practically never see a used set of tires that's in okay condition. I've had my truck for close to 20 years it's just recently that I'm more interested in making it nice.
So that right now just leaves the question for me because I don't know anything about wheel sizes. What you see on the picture are swamper tires that were horrible I since then went with some all season tires that are okay but they look a little wimpy    R16 or  R17  and what width?
It is slightly lifted.
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Wheel diameter will be up to your preference. No matter if you go 15, 16, or 17 you will be able to easily find tires. Bigger wheel with a thinner tire means better handling but rougher ride. Smaller wheel with thicker tire will better absorb bumps.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto