300 i6 or 302 V8?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

300 i6 or 302 V8?

BullnoseHunter02
Hey guys, i need advice, ive been looking at Bullnose's for a while, and im really split on what engine i want. The 300 is a valid option due to towing capibility, and insurance. (im 16). But, it doesnt have the classic rumble of the 302. I liked the 302 firstly because its a V8, its a little more powerful, and its a popular engine. My only concern would be insurance. Do you guys have and advice? Im really leaning towards the 300 at this point due to the reputation, but then im not gonna have the sound or muscle of the 302.
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 300 i6 or 302 V8?

Ray Cecil
Get what you want. If insurance $ is an issue, go cut a few more yards to afford it. I'm not being an a-hole, I am telling you what I tell my sons, and what my father told me. It will serve you well to have the mindset of "If I want it, I am going to go get it."

A little something I have learned in my 33 years....If I want something, truly want it, I will figure a way of getting it. I always have, and always do.

The 300 seems like a fine engine. You are right, it doesn't sound that great. All straight six engine share that blahhhhh sound. Its just not a v8. You can make a 302 or any other v8 have plenty of torque for towing. The 300, or any other straight six is not a holy grail of torque. Its all in gearing, and torque curves. The 300 just happens to have a lot of torque in the lower rpm range where v8 usually don't.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
Yeah, im really not gonna be towing much, probibly an 8 foot landscaping trailer in a few years, and thats about it. The 302 seems like a more common engine, another reason i like it. I really dont think i need the torque of the 300 right now honestly. It really comes down to applications.
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Well there you go. V8 baby! Headers and some flowmasters and RIP IT UP
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed