300-6 long block stock engine

C.Jett
Need recommendations where to buy 300-6 long block. C. Jett
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 300-6 long block stock engine

mat in tn
I'm not sure where you are. I have had mixed results from commercial builders, so I build myself these days. I have had good results from jasper many years ago. if I need something fast, I guess I would have to look but I try not to be in a hurry. desperate.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by C.Jett
My $0.02. Do NOT buy a remanned engine. They are cobbled together junk. I've torn one down and it's shocking what you will find. Get yourself a good rebuildable core, and find a good builder. Yes, it may end up being more expensive, and take longer, but it will be worth it. You will know exactly what is going into it, and most builders will work with you if there is a problem. Besides, a reman will have stock(ish) parts. Built it yourself and you can add MORE POWER!
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
Was discussing 300s with a buddy of mine, and years ago he had a Ford reman 300 that ended up needing the head pulled, and he discovered 3 different pistons in it.  And that was from FoMoCo.  
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Mat, I’m in Fl. I was looking at Jasper but they require their installers. My son owns Jett Motor Sports so it would cost me zero to install, what a son! CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
Bradley, I would love to build it myself but I’m working in my driveway. I had a bay in my son’s race shop. He sold and moved away. I live in Jax, Fl area and it’s a minefield with engine builders. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by 85pig
85 Pig, I know it’s a crap shoot but it is what it is. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I can imagine. Have you ruled out a good used engine? Rusty Acres may have one.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
C.Jett wrote
Mat, I’m in Fl. I was looking at Jasper but they require their installers. My son owns Jett Motor Sports so it would cost me zero to install, what a son! CJ
I had my local shop order an engine for me from Jasper. They were happy to do it...and I am sure jacked the price a bit. I picked it up and dropped the core off a week later.

I've been happy with Jasper over the years. You might stop by one of your local shops and see of they'll get one for you.
Erik

1985 F150 4x4 - 351W, C6 - work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
...Or keep a lookout at junk yards/eBay. Per a quick look at the latter, nothing bullnose specific. I did find this though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125775892481

Looks to be a 300 out of an industrial application (likely an airport ramp truck). Might need to swap camshafts (Don't know if the industrial 300's were the same cam as carbed bullnose or not) and the valve cover (obviously different) but otherwise, should be the same/similar to a non-cali bullnose engine. My only reservation would be that it's already been rebuilt once and industrial use can be rough... I'd definitely try to offer it down if going that route.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Thanks, ratdude 747, but I’m looking for a step up ? A engine builder or a long block recommendation. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Ah. I was under the impression that you needed a core/long block and didn't have a buildable core already.

Have you ever done engine work before? I was able to rebuild mine mostly in my garage over the pandemic (and my employer was shut down for several weeks).

The only things that were farmed out (to a local engine builder), mainly due to a lack of tooling:

-Crank Journal measurement and polishing
-Cylinder boring 0.030" over (due to broken rings destroying the cylinder bores)
-Piston swapping (300's have pressed wrist pins, requires a rod heater to swap)
-Freeze plugs and cam bearings
-Magnafluxing the head (because dummy here dropped it while cleaning it in my driveway).

Everything else (disassembly, painting, and re-assembly) I was able to do with relatively minimal tools compared to what one would need to just swap a long block or rebuilt engine. Main ones being piston ring pliers, piston install sleeve, valve spring compressor, plastigauge (for bearing clearance confirmation), and assembly lube. I also had a set of clip-on rocker arm restrictors that I used for pre-oiling (cranking the oil pump using the distributor shaft chucked in a drill) but I don't think they were actually necessary. Also an engine stand (and a decent one, the 300 is nose-heavy compared to a V8).

That said, I had a few things in my favor that you might not (depending on what shape your core is in)... mainly that the entire valvetrain was in good shape- Head wise, all I needed to do was replace valve stem seals, and I was able to reuse the camshaft, lifters, and pushrods (I bagged and labeled all sets of parts by cylinder and intake/exhaust... very important!)

Reason I say all this is that any engine shop can do work on a 300... but some won't want to "build" it due to a lack of "bling" or "street cred". They want jobs that will get them recognition, not "boring" utilitarian things like 300's. Not that there aren't builders who won't touch such things... there are shops that do a lot of farm/tractor engines that would probably be keen on a 300 build.

Just giving my $0.02.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I recently completed a 300. it is now for sale but in central nc . this is most likely prohibitive yet there are options. a small local builder even one retired like myself.
Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
In reply to this post by ratdude747
They're pretty straight-forward to do, but as C. Jett said - he's only got his driveway, so that's a no-go for an engine rebuild.
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed