2020 Virtual Truck Show Planning - Input, Please!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
61 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2020 Virtual Truck Show Planning - Input, Please!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, it is official - we are having a virtual truck show, and it will be two months from today, 19th September.

Here are some ideas and thoughts I've had toward it after having read and re-read the comments on the other thread: Virtual Truck Show? Thoughts & Ideas, Please!

Eligibility: Any & all Ford trucks owned by a member of this forum, regardless of how long they've been a member, where they live, etc.  And, regardless of year of the truck, percent of completion, cost, etc.  (Note that this means Scott can enter his whole herd of Bulls.)

Classes: In the past we've had these classes: Best Engine; Best Upgrades; People's Favorite; Closest To Stock; Best Paint; & Farthest Distance Driven.  Obviously the latter isn't going to work, so how 'bout Ugliest Truck?  (That was Frank's idea as he thinks his truck might win.  )  And/or Shaun suggested In Progress or In Pieces.  (He who has the most pieces wins?)

Swap Meet: David suggested we have a section for a swap meet where people provide pictures of what they have to sell.  Not sure how to do that, yet, but will work on it.

Entry Format: Video or still pics are acceptable formats for entry.  But it was suggested that each of us include a pic of ourself by our truck(s) just as it would be if we were at an in-person show.  And that can be video or still as well.  Plus, I think we should have a write-up about each truck giving us a bit of info.

Time & Judging: It has been pointed out, and rightly so, that we are an international forum as we have people from Australia to Poland with nine countries in between.  That's a time difference of 17 hours, so I think we need to do something that isn't live.  I suggest that I put up a poll for each category and let everyone vote.  But, we need to give people time, so we may have to have a 48 hour window for judging, and it will be one vote per member for each category.

So, what do you think about the above?  It is just an initial suggestion, and I'm sure it will take a lot of tweaking.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 2020 Virtual Truck Show Planning - Input, Please!

old55pete
How about a section for the longest owned? And brake that up into Bronco, flair side, ect. It may be a thing that is hard to prove, so mabey not.

So far what you have sounds good and I will continue to follow.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I like the plan Gary, I think it sounds great. Hopefully the poll function will prevent you from having to spend a lot of time creating something else to accomplish the judging. It may not be an issue, but should there be a plan in the event of a tie? Also, the truck of the month poll shows the number of votes. Is there any way to hide this until after the voting deadline? Not a huge deal if not, but I think it would be better without showing the results until the voting is over.  The ugly truck category sounds fun, I have some strong contenders! Only catch might be if someone’s truck got votes who didn’t want them 😅. I think best paint will be difficult to judge via photos, as a 10 footer can look spectacular in photos, but up close not so much. I still like the category, but it is a pitfall. Closest to stock might also be difficult to determine via photos, but I think a lot of this will reflect the effort put in by the owner (quality and content of the photos, videos & write-up).
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
What about something like having classes of Bronco, F100, F150, F250, and F350, and then separate entries for best Flareside, best dually, best crew cab, etc...and then maybe a best in show overall. To include Non-Bullnose trucks you could add Dentside and Bricknose categories. I dunno, I'm just spitballin'...

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Steve - Longest owned might be an option.  Thanks.

Jonathan - You have a point about the Best Paint category.  That's really hard to tell in-person, so maybe we ought to scratch that one and replace it.

On Closest To Stock, what if we leave it to the owner to tell us what isn't stock - assuming s/he is wanting it to be part of that category?

As for the polls, I can only put one poll in the first post of a thread, so we'll have to have a thread for each category.  But I do have the option to turn viewing off before the poll is over, so will plan to do that.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
What about something like having classes of Bronco, F100, F150, F250, and F350, and then separate entries for best Flareside, best dually, best crew cab, etc...and then maybe a best in show overall. To include Non-Bullnose trucks you could add Dentside and Bricknose categories. I dunno, I'm just spitballin'...
Cory - I must have been typing my last response when you posted.

But I'm not sure I understand.  Are you saying having classes for Bronco, F100, F150, F250, F350, Flareside, DRW, Crewcab, Supercab, Regular cab, Dentside, Bricknose, etc?  What do we do with earlier trucks like the F1?  Or Model T, which we've had.

The classes above, not including the F1 and Model T, add up to 12.  That's starting to get expensive as I'm buying the trophies and shipping them to wherever the winner is, which could be Poland or Australia.  And that wouldn't even include all possible entries.

I'm thinking we need to use generic categories that will fit whatever gets entered.  So with the previous input I'm now thinking: Best Engine; Best Upgrades; People's Favorite; Closest To Stock; Ugliest Truck; & Longest Owned.  But I'm still looking for input from y'all.

And some caveats.  For instance, on Best Engine and Best Upgrades they have to be installed.  In other words, my plans to put an inverter as well as an air compressor in Big Blue don't count towards Best Upgrades since they haven't been installed - even though I already have them.  But, Dad's engine is installed so would count.  Will that work?

Last, I think we need to say that if a truck wins one class/category it can't win again.  So, as an example, assume a truck gets the most votes, 500, in Best Engine and the most votes, 400, in Best Upgrades.  In that case it will win Best Engine and we will disregard its 400 votes in Best Upgrades and that award will go to the truck that got the next most votes.  Ok?

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
But I'm not sure I understand.  Are you saying having classes for Bronco, F100, F150, F250, F350, Flareside, DRW, Crewcab, Supercab, Regular cab, Dentside, Bricknose, etc?  What do we do with earlier trucks like the F1?  Or Model T, which we've had.
Gary,

Don't mind me, I was just spitballin' ideas since I thought you were looking for ways to break up the classes. Of course I am totally fine with whatever you do.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - I appreciate the ideas.  They actually helped as I'd not realized before that the classes or categories are generic, meaning they'll cover whatever gets entered.  So any changes to them need to stay generic.  At least that's what it looks like to me.

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Sounds like a good "foundation" Gary, But as you mentioned, Trophies and shipping could get expensive.
Categories need to be condensed, If adding brick, bumps, and dents, T's  maybe limit that to 1 or 2 trophies?

Divide Bullnose up as mentioned in more detail..
Long bed Styleside
Short bed Styleside
Flaerside
Dually
4x4 vs 2x4?
Break up Standard cab vs super vs 4-door? your call..

Or do exactly as you do for "in person" shows....
Ron
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I am in favor of general categories. I also like the idea of allowing a truck to win only one category. However, does this apply to the vehicle or the member? For instance, could a member with two trucks still win two trophies? Also, if a truck were to sweep the most votes in two categories, how would you decide which trophy to award and which category would default to the runner up? Perhaps number the categories and award in order or something else? This is all mechanical details but should be thought through. One possible spin or addition to the longest owned category might be best back-story truck adventure story etc., to evoke more participation than just a purchase date? Not that a truck tale is any more verifiable than years owned... but it would add interest and give folks something to vote on.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ron - I am hoping to stay as close as possible to the categories we usually use.  And those categories are generic, meaning not by bed style, cab length, F100 vs F350, etc.  But some of the categories we've used, like Farthest Distance Driven, are obviously not going to work and we'll have to make a few changes.

Jonathan - You have good questions.  But let me see if I can answer them:

Owner Vs Truck: I think we are judging the truck and not the owner, so that would mean that someone with multiple trucks entered could "take home" multiple trophies.  Does that make sense?

Which Category: If a truck has the most votes in two or more categories I suggest that it wins the one in which it has the most votes.  And if it has the same number of votes in two categories then it will win the one that is first in the list of categories.

Let me explain.  Assume the categories are: Best Engine; Best Upgrades; People's Favorite; Closest To Stock; Ugliest Truck; & Best Story - in that order.  If truck "A" gets 439 votes for People's Favorite and 439 votes for Ugliest Truck then it will win People's Favorite since that is first in the list.

Best Story: I like what I think you suggested as a category.  And in it could be lots of facts, including longest time owned, best adventure the truck has been on, who used to own it, etc.  I'm not worried about verifying them, but this would give a way for people to get creative.  

What do y'all think about those answers?

Also, I have another question: I'm thinking of sending an email to everyone that's registered on the forum to tell them about the show and let them know they can not only vote but enter their truck.  Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Also, I have another question: I'm thinking of sending an email to everyone that's registered on the forum to tell them about the show and let them know they can not only vote but enter their truck.  Thoughts?

I like it...
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Ron.

Anyone else have thoughts about the email?  I don't want to have people mark us as spam, but so many people are signed up and don't get on so won't know.

Here's an idea.  Do a mass mailing soon to announce it and tell them how to submit entries.  Then do a mass mailing to remind them that polling is open.  And then do one to tell them of the results.

Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Good explanation Gary. It sounds straightforward. I share your concern about fact checking the ‘best story’ category, that is pretty much on the honor system of the person writing it. Old photos, or photos of an adventure would help, but not everyone will have them and they won’t verify a whole story. I still think it may be fun and help as an incentive to improve the write-ups.

Edit: I think the email approach you suggested is excused!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, let's assume that the categories are now: Best Engine; Best Upgrades; People's Favorite; Closest To Stock; Ugliest Truck; & Best Story.  We can tweak that list if we need to do so, but I think it is pretty good.

So now let's turn our focus to the "how".  In other words, where to put everything, and what is "everything".  Here's my thinking....

We have a section of the forum called Ford Truck Show (Bullnose Forum/Ford Truck Show in the menu), and while that is a logical place to put it, that would be a pain for me.  The issue is that each picture on the forum has to be added individually, and if we have a lot of entries and each has a lot of pics or vids then there will be a lot of work for me.  Plus, the forum page doesn't lend itself to lots of entries.

So I just created a new section called Truck Shows.  You can see it has been added to the top menu at present along with Bullnose Forum, Documentation, and About.  (I can tuck it into Documentation later if we decide.)  And under that menu item I have the 2020 Truck Show page, and under that page there will be a new page for each entry.  The beauty there is that it can be as many pages as we want, and uploading pics can be done by creating a "gallery", which means that if there are 100 pics for an entry I just click the first and then the last and Weebly will upload them all in one go.  And I can more easily copy/paste text that is sent as well.

Right now there are two pages in there, called Entry 1 and Entry 2.  But it would be easy to put up a page called something like Swap Meet and put pics of things people are wanting to sell along with how to contact them via the forum's email system.  (We don't want to give out people's email addresses.)  Or we could put up other pages as well with other info.  And, when the polling is done the winners can be announced on a page.

In fact, as the dust settles on this I can move the 2018 and 2019 show pics over to this so they will all be in one place.

Do y'all agree with this approach?  Hope so 'cause I'm going to start populating the 2020 Truck Show page itself with the classes, how to enter, rules, etc.  

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Holy cow! sounds like you have it down to a T. One thing is a fact you are a thinker.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - If that's a compliment then I thank you.    (One of my father's many sayings, and usually said when it was obvious it wasn't a compliment.)

Ok, been doing some more thinking, as Steve said, and have done the following:

Gifts: I've contacted both Rock Auto and LMC at this point, with more to follow.  And RA has agreed to send me six gift certificates that will go, with the trophies, to the winners of the six classes.

Show Page: Filled out the page at Truck Shows/2020 Truck Show to have a tab for an Overview, one for Entrants where I hope to keep the list up to date, and Polling, which has links to the poll threads - see below

Entries: Populated the two pages I'd added for Entrant #1 & Entrant #2 to be Dad's Truck and Big Blue, respectively.  And, I used them as kind of a template to see what I thought should be said and shown.
 However, I'd like y'all to look at see what I forgot.  I'm sure I did.  And I already know I don't have a pic with me beside either truck, which has been requested.

Poll Threads: Added a folder in Events called "2020 Virtual Truck Show" - which is locked so only admins can add threads.  And, I added a thread for each of the polls so I have a place to put the polls when the time comes.  However, all of them are locked save for Best Engine poll as I don't want any comments in there that I'd have to delete when polling opens at midnight CDT on Sept 16th.  And the Best Engine poll is only a test to see that I can create as many entries as we may need.  But it let me create 101 entries, so hopefully it'll let me create however many we need when the time comes.  After all, we have 770 members at present, and some of us have several trucks.  

Given that, we are now OPEN FOR BUSINESS.  All entries must come to me via email and I'll do my best to get your entry up on its own page ASAP.  And if you then want me to tweak something or add new pics you can do that - especially as we get the format nailed down.

So please look things over closely and let me know what needs to change.

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
It was a complement. A non complement would have been something more like my dad would say, like, think with your brain on and your mouth shut.
 Personally I think it all looks good.
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
The pages for Big Blue and Dad’s look great Gary! On the video, is it best for us to provide a YouTube link? What is the best format for submissions? Word document? Or just typed text in an e-mail body? The only thing I see with this presentation is that it will take quite a bit of your time to format and enter it all. Anything we members can do to streamline this process we should be doing!

I also just want to throw this out there... having attended the 2017 truck show... that Gary puts a tremendous amount of effort into these events down to the last detail. And is continuing to do so this year via virtual means. I really want to encourage the members here to put in the effort to enter their trucks and take the time to share photos and write ups. The more we put into this the better the whole will be 🙂

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - Thanks.

Jonathan - The easiest for me would be to send me a Word doc.  I'll just embed it on the page and won't have to do much at all.  (But, I do have to then create a few links, add it to the poll, etc.)

As for a video, a Youtube link would work fine.  I'll just get the embed code and drop it in.

And I do appreciate the plug.  I'd really like to have a few hundred entries!