1986 XLT speakers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1986 XLT speakers

Romel
I am just wondering where can I get speakers.  The original ones were bad, the sound distorted, they had impedance 6 Ohms I believe.  I have put new ones in, but today you can get only 4 Ohm speakers. The only down fall is now the volume has to be almost to max, as I think the impedance plays role for the amplifier in the radio. Anybody has a solution to this, I want to keep the old radio,matches the interior. Thanks for any imput.
1986 XLT Lariat F250 6.9 IDI, supercab, sidewinder, psd intercooler, hydroboost
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1986 XLT speakers

6.9-250
As the impedance drops, the speaker will be asking for more power from the amplifier.  

The amplifier in the factory head unit will be of very low power and cannot drive these speakers properly.  Most aftermarket speakers require min 100 watts.  The factory head unit does not have enough power for these. The cheapest option would be to find an oem replacement speaker that is like 10 or 20 watts for example.  

If you would like to use your speakers you have already, I would suggest purchasing an amplifier.  You will need a speaker to line converter (converts speaker wire signal to an rca input the amplifier can use) or an amplifier that has this converter built in.  I mounted my amplifier under the drivers seat.  Power needs to be run directly to the battery (size of power cable based on amplifier size - watts)

Installing a foam baffle behind the speakers will increase sound quality as well. They are purchased based on the size of speaker you have.  

1985 Ford F-250, 6.9L, Auto C6, 4x4 208F, Extended Cab
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
6.9-250 wrote
Installing a foam baffle behind the speakers will increase sound quality as well. They are purchased based on the size of speaker you have.
You have an example of this foam baffle? Worried if i put random foam in the door it will mold.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I suspect he's talking about something like these from Crutchfield:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Have a set of those Boom Mats waiting to go in. In addition to sound improvement they also protect the speaker from any elements.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Romel
Just an update, I purchased 8 Ohm 30 Watt speakers and they work great, when the radio volume is in the middle it is very very loud, no need to go over one third.  
It is hard to come by a new 8 ohm speakers, as most are 4 Ohm.  So anybody wanting a stock setup without added amplifier, this is the only way.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got that one sorted.  And thanks for the info.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Romel
Romel wrote
Just an update, I purchased 8 Ohm 30 Watt speakers and they work great, when the radio volume is in the middle it is very very loud, no need to go over one third.  
It is hard to come by a new 8 ohm speakers, as most are 4 Ohm.  So anybody wanting a stock setup without added amplifier, this is the only way.
Where did you find the speakers at as I need a set also.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Romel
Internet, I am located in Europe, I purchased   VISATON BG 17 - 8 Ohm,   they are slightly bigger than the hole in the door, it neded a little triming of the door. I am quite happy with them, they sound way better than the original ones.  
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
https://www.parts-express.com/visaton-bg17-8-65-full-range-speaker-with-whizzer-cone-8-ohm--292-546
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Thanks guys next time I have the panels off I will get a pair to replace the ones I have in the doors as they are the wrong ohms.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Nice boom mats. Just ordered some. I do need to deaden the doors at some point too
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I highly, highly recommend the dense foamy soundmat material from Eastwood. Rapping my knuckles on the outer skin of the door is night and day with how it was before.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
kramttocs wrote
I highly, highly recommend the dense foamy soundmat material from Eastwood. Rapping my knuckles on the outer skin of the door is night and day with how it was before.
Didn't see that when I did mine, whats your thoughts on 80mil killmat. The plan was to put that in the door skin, then foam for the speaker, then on the inside under the door panel some jute/foil insulation.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I am sure it will work just as well - I've heard really good things about kilmat.
Went with Eastwood since I was placing an order there already and have had good luck with their stuff in the past.
Can't speak to the weight of kilmat but I know the Eastwood stuff I put on the floor was really heavy and I would be hesitant to put that in the doors due to the unnecessary added weight. The dense foam was quite a bit lighter than the floor stuff. The ceiling stuff was naturally a lot lighter but is more for heat than sound.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I have replacement doors, the factory ones had like a rolled on deadener/stiffener in them and vs the new door shells that are clean through and through. I think the kill mat wont add enough weight to matter, its butyl material I  believe with 1/2lb weight per sqft. I have eva matting from ACC under the jute and foil insulation on the floor. It was paper backed and smelled like asphalt which I was not expecting so the EVA must be mixed with something. I have enough kill mat I probably could have just used that, heck maybe ill just go crazy with my left over kill mat in other places... butyl is heat resistant up to 250 degrees, maybe I can put it on the engine bay side of the fire wall as well.

I have been toying with insulating the rear cab wall but have yet to decide how to cover it. They make carpet covers for that wall for 87+. But they don't list 1980-86. I am curious how they attach, maybe ill make a post on that.
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
very tempted to get these speakers.  What kind of trimming was necessary to get them to fit and how did you accomplish that?  I'm hesitant to start cutting up my original rust-free doors.
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Coco
In reply to this post by Romel
i’ve got one speaker for my driver side door that i have to replace. it got left out for 6 month by my mom when i was out of state. i’m not sure if it will still work but i don’t think so. the original speakers are both mint condition. they sound absolutely amazing and is incredibly surprising for a 39 year old rust bucket like my truck.

is there a specific site to go to, to find oem replacement speakers, or should i take my chances and try to find a good one from one of my local junkyards?

also, the driver door (same as the speaker-less door) is sort of cattywampus. it wiggles when it’s closed and doesn’t seem to seal. any ways to fix that as well or something to check on it?
Autumn: 1984 F-250 XLT
Single Cab Long bed, 2wd
4spd manual, 6.9L/420 Diesel
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The hinge pins and bushings are probably worn out. (the drivers door gets used a lot more)
Also check that the striker post in the door frame still has it's plastic bushing.

There are kits for this. You can find them in the Dorman HELP section of your parts store or online at Amazon.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Coco
On the speakers, they need to be in pairs. In other words they need to be identical. But a good set of aftermarket speakers should sound as good as the original ones, if not better.