1986 302 EFI air cleaner componets ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1986 302 EFI air cleaner componets ?

Bo Frodo
I have recently replaced the fuel pressure regulator, after several ( a dozen ) key turns to power the fuel pump it, the pressure climbs and holds at 35 psi. To low I know, My question is: if the throttle body is not connected to the air cleaner would that affect part of my starting problem? the double hoses are missing as is the top of the air cleaner housing.
Patient: '86 reg.cab, short bed, 302 V8, EFI, auto trans, sitting out for 10 yrs., not abused just neglected, fires with strtr fld but won't run (yet)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1986 302 EFI air cleaner componets ?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The air cleaner not being fully installed won't change the fuel pressure.  Go ahead and try to start it?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bo Frodo
It will start for about a second or more, but then die. Might I have a vacuum leak?
Patient: '86 reg.cab, short bed, 302 V8, EFI, auto trans, sitting out for 10 yrs., not abused just neglected, fires with strtr fld but won't run (yet)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, a vacuum leak would cause a problem.  Hang in there, you are making progress.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
In reply to this post by Bo Frodo
Check all of your vacuum lines as they will degrade over time, especially if it's been sitting for a while like that one. I'm having to change vacuum lines on my Town Car That I've had for 10 years and it's been my daily driver. Check the one going to the map sensor, it comes out from under the back of the plenum. You will have to pull the plenum to change the lines that come out from under it but will give you access to change the valve cover gaskets as they will likely start leaking once you have it running anyways. If not at first, it will eventually.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
In reply to this post by Bo Frodo
Did you ever get a good reading of your fuel pressure?

What have you completed in the tune-up arena ?
(spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap & rotor button, etc.)
Cleaning of the air bypass valve.....

I would pull out your air temperature sensor to check the condition of the sensor tip. It’s about halfway down the driver’s side of your engine’s intake manifold. 2 wire connector going to it; yellow/red stripe & black/white stripe wire.
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Hello, Vinny! How have you been?
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Just finishing up the month of boating, fishing & scuba in the keys.  Working my way up the coast with boat in tow.  In Ocala Fl safe house for a few days now, moving up to the Savannah safe house on Thursday for the weekend, then back to Virginia/N. Carolina to ride out this SARS-CoV-2 pandemic.

I was busy since the first of the year getting my boat ready for the trip to Newfoundland @ the end of May, then this trip to the Keys evolved (1-31 Mar), so I had to expedite. More work to do before the NFLD treck.

I forgot to respond to Gary; She is a 1995 SeaCat SL1, 21’ w/twin 2008 fi/e-tec 115hp Evinrude’s. Pulling the boat with my 2008 Jeep commander 5.7, but in the market for a 2014ish f250, 4x4, 6.2l gas crew cab before the next trip.

Right knee surgery for the 23rd of this month is postponed to who knows when. Surgery may have to wait until I return from NFLD in the fall, 80% bone to bone, but pushing through the pain.

I wish all the best for you, your family and everyone else on this great site.
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vinny - Shuan lives right there in Ocala.  Don't know if y'all want to meet, safely, but if you do please post a pic.

On the boat, I looked that up and it looks like fun.  As for the engines, I've been around the 90/115/140 Johnrudes a lot.  Are yours of the earlier V-4 variety?

But pulling that w/a Jeep's short wheelbase I can certainly understand the desire to find an F250.  But, Blue pulls our 25' SeaRay very nicely.

Stay safe!

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Gary,

These are V4 e-tec's, they came out in 2006 (2007 model year). they are fuel injected, so no carb issues. I actually have a 2007my & 2008my....

Interesting they index the spark plugs in these things.  I wonder if auto/truck plugs have ever been indexed ?

Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 5:15 AM
To: vjsimone <vjsimone@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 1986 302 EFI air cleaner componets ?

Vinny - Shuan lives right there in Ocala.  Don't know if y'all want to meet, safely, but if you do please post a pic.

On the boat, I looked that up and it looks like fun.  As for the engines, I've been around the 90/115/140 Johnrudes a lot.  Are yours of the earlier V-4 variety?

But pulling that w/a Jeep's short wheelbase I can certainly understand the desire to find an F250.  But, Blue pulls our 25' SeaRay very nicely.

Stay safe!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile<http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Gary-Lewis-tp149.html>

Dad's<http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Dad-s-Truck-Build-tp7104.html>: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Big Blue:<http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Big-Blue-td234.html> 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

To unsubscribe from 1986 302 EFI air cleaner componets ?, click here<http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=53034&code=dmpzaW1vbmVAaG90bWFpbC5jb218NTMwMzR8LTEyMTgxMDkxMTg=>.
NAML<http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, we've probably hijacked this thread enough now, so I'll pass on asking more 'bout the outboards.  But I like your rig.  

As for auto/truck plugs, the racing guys certainly have indexed them.