1985 upper side molding

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1985 upper side molding

Gsmblue
This is the long bed passenger side molding. Pretty spendy..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-1985-1986-F150-Truck-Pickup-Bed-Side-Moulding-Rubber-F250-F350/122772152935?hash=item1c95ca6267:g:66IAAOSwuxFYwHfY&vxp=mtr
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1985 upper side molding

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is the right part number for what is described, although in the master parts catalog it is called 1985/86 F150/350 -- REGULAR CAB BODY MOULDINGS - SIDE, PRESSURE SENSITIVE.  Having said that, I'm not so sure it was really used on the '86 trucks.  Here's what I've been able to put together, as shown on the Bullnose FAQ's page:

Trim: Early 1985 trucks had an upper body molding option that appears to have been used on only a few trucks and may have been discontinued for late 1985 trucks, as described in this thread on FTE, and pictured on the Upper Moulding/Regular Cab tab on my Exterior Trim & Moulding page.  The latest usage I'm aware of is the 1985 F150 Survivor, which was built in 5/85 at the Ontario plant.

Rick/Fonzi did much of he detective work as he has that trim on his early-85 truck.  And he spotted that the truck on the cover of the early '85 brochure has that trim and that it shows as an option in the brochure.  But the late '85 brochure doesn't have the trim on the truck on the cover and doesn't show it as an option.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, there are a number of Facebook guys who say they have this trim on their 1986 trucks and I'm almost positive the truck I got your core support from was a 1986 and had it. If the truck is still in the yard I will verify it and take pictures next time I go.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good to know. If it is there maybe you can get a pic of the certification label?

So, we have a mystery. Ford went to some lengths to remove the trim from the cover as well as the listing of options of the 1985 brochure. But they continued to provide it?  Apparently it was still on the order form. Interesting.

Anyway, I’d like to edit the statement re that trim in the Bullnose FAQ’s if it is wrong. Thanks!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Ford F834
If anyone has the trim for sale... I need a full set!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can find the part numbers on the page under Exterior/Exterior Trim & Moulding: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-trim-and-moulding.html. And then you can go shopping. But Rick says almost all of it is gone by now.

I’ll include the page here just to ensure you understand that there were actually two kinds of pressure sensitive trim. The upper one show on that page come in a roll and was cut to fit. The lower one, which you appear to have, came already cut to fit. And it is easy to tell the difference as yours is cut out around the keyhole on the door.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
I would like to see that, because I have NEVER seen a 1986 truck with the "pressure sensitive" upper moldings.

Like Gary said, that style of trim molding was completely erased from the later 1985 Ford F-Series brochure.  Completely.  Ford eliminated all verbiage concerning that trim and went through the trouble of digitally removing that trim in every. single. picture that the "new for 1985" upper trim molding was featured on in the earlier 1985 F-Series brochure.  

That was not easy nor cheap to do in 1985.

I have the 1986 F-Series brochure as well, and there is no mention of it whatsoever.

I work in the furniture business, and a furniture manufacturer's building recently caught fire and burned to the ground that supplied a particular collection that my store offered.  Since the building was destroyed, that collection has been prematurely and completely dropped.  I wonder if something similar happened to Ford with the "new for 1985" trim molding?

A mystery indeed.

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I decided to take a run to the prescott yard today, and the truck that your core support came from is gone... *however*...

1) There was a 1986 truck there with the molding. Unfortunately the certification label had been removed, but I photographed the VIN plate and the 10th digit is "G" which is the 1986 model year. We don't know the manufactur date but by the VIN it's an '86...

2) Although the core support truck is gone, I did have a batch of certification label pictures that I took because we were trying to figure out when Ford added the spring code (?) or something like that? Maybe you will remember. All I know is I photographed all the bullnose certification labels I could find, and there is only one truck label from the Prescott yard that had white paint 133" wb and manual trans, so this has to be it. Sorry, no body molding picture proof to go with it but I really remember it being odd for having the XLT molding while lacking AC and having a rubber floor and other plain Jane options:

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - That’s good enough for me. Looks like that trim was used in ‘86, and the shot with the cutout for the door key is proof that’s the trim we have been talking about. I’ll update the FAQ’s tomorrow. Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Amazing.  I am surprised at you, Gary.

You are fully aware that Ford went through some trouble and expense to change their 1985 sales brochures mid-year to completely remove that trim molding, AND it was no where to be found in the 1986 brochure.  

You have been a member of FTE for how many years now?  I think I can speak for both of us when I say that very few 1985 trucks have come through FTE over the years had that earlier style molding. And how many 1986 trucks have you seen at FTE that had that molding?  I have been a member there a few years longer than you have and I have seen exactly ZERO.  How many 1986 trucks have you ever seen in person that had it?  I have seen ZERO, and there are still plenty of these trucks on the road and in the junk yards here in the South East.

As you know, there are countless examples of base level trucks "dressed up" with dealer-installed accessories such as air conditioning, stripes, and wheel well trim.  Some even had complete trim packages that were region and dealer specific.  "Gold" and "Texas Lariat" editions come to mind.

Tell me, how hard would it have been for a dealer or a previous owner to "dress up" an XL trim level truck with the pressure sensitive [stick on] molding?

But some one comes up with *one* example of a 1986 model - a low-level XL model with rubber floors, no A/C, and a manual transmission - that has it, and you immediately say that is "good enough" to change your mind and your website?  

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
The truck in the first pictures is a full XLT extended cab. It had all the options... this one makes perfect sense for it to have the trim.

It was the truck that Gary's core support came from that was odd in that it was a base model with the trim. Two separate trucks here.

I get what you are saying, I am a scientist and I don't like n=1 (or 2) sample size either. I will pay attention in the future when these trucks come into the junkyards. One thing that makes me think it was offered longer is the sheer number that you see. I've run across this trim quite often in the junkyards and with online picture surfing. Why would there be so many if it was only offered for the first couple of months in 1985? I can't explain the disappearance from the brochures, but perhaps there was a supply problem that was later resolved?
🤷‍♂️

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Rick - You don't know what I had planned to say about the trim.  The current blurb on the FAQ's says:

Trim: Early 1985 trucks had an upper body molding option that appears to have been used on only a few trucks and may have been discontinued for late 1985 trucks, as described in this thread on FTE, and pictured on the Upper Moulding/Regular Cab tab on my Exterior Trim & Moulding page.  The latest usage I'm aware of is the 1985 F150 Survivor, which was built in 5/85 at the Ontario plant.

I was thinking of adding the following to that:

However, there are/were two 1986 trucks in a salvage in AZ that had that trim.  So it appears it may have been used into the 1986 production year.

I believe that because we have a report from Jonathan, whom I know personally and trust implicitly, who has found two 1986 trucks with that trim.  Yes, it is possible that someone put that trim on, but I think it unlikely that both trucks had it added.  In fact, without finding a build sheet and figuring out how to decode it, we can't be sure any of these trucks came from the factory with or without that trim - unless you know the person that ordered the truck or the truck has been in the family since new.

And while I agree that Ford went to great lengths to pull that trim from the 1985 brochure, I would guess that they had a supply of it on hand.  And, like the amber turn signals and slide door locks, Ford wasn't about to throw anything away.  So, they probably consolidated the trim to a couple of plants, just like it appears they did on the turn signals and door locks.  In fact, the Twin Cities plant was one of the last to use the slide locks, as we've documented here, and the truck that Jonathan provided the pic of the certification label was made at that plant.  So my guess is that Ford used the Twin Cities plant, and maybe one other, as a catchall, and that they used up all of the things that had been discontinued on trucks that weren't someone's special order.

The bottom line is that there is now a reasonable doubt that the first statement is true.  So I plan to modify the statement in some way to accommodate the new information.  But I'm open to suggestions on how to word the modification.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
That's fair.  Buy why do you think it is "unlikely" that two 1986 trucks could have had the "pressure sensitive" molding added on?  Is it unlikely that more than one truck had dealer A/C added?  Or dealer stripes?

All I am saying is that this is a real mystery.  Jonathan's idea about possibly being a supply problem that was later resolved is certainly possible  Your idea that it was regulated to only a few plants is certainly possible as well.

For what it's worth, Lucille was made in The Twin Cities plant.  

It literally took me YEARS to put together an entire NOS set for my restoration.  I checked Ebay daily for years.  In all that time, I NEVER saw a 1986 model that had it.  And *most* 1985 model trucks had the other style.

I just did a Google search for "1986 Ford F150," and not one single truck came up with the early 1985 "pressure sensitive" molding.  NONE.

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
I discovered something interesting today, perhaps another piece of the puzzle concerning the early 1985 "pressure sensitive" trim molding.  I noticed that the picture posted from Ford F834 is of a plain white 1986 F250 with the very rare upper molding.  I did a search on google and did find a *few* 1986 F250s with that molding - but get this:  ALL of them were on F250s with a single paint color. And ALL of the 1986 F250 models I found with tu-tone paint had the much more common lower 1981 - 1984 molding and upper tape stripe. (Still, the vast majority of F250s I found used the lower molding - whether it had tu-tone paint or not.)

As I pointed out on a recent post, when the early 1985 models came out with tu-tone paint, Ford initially used the upper "pressure sensitive" trim molding at the top and under the sidemarker light to separate the two colors. A tri-color tape stripe was used at the bottom and around the wheel wells to separate the two colors.  Then, they suddenly reversed it and replaced the upper molding with a tri-color tape stripe and replaced the lower tri-color tape stripe with the 1981 - 1984 lower trim molding.

Why did Ford do that?  

When Ford suddenly dropped the exclusive 1985 upper trim molding half-way through the model year, they also dropped the lower tri-color tape stripe along the bottom and around the wheel wells. Then, they added a tri-color tape at the top to replace the upper molding and re-introduced the older 1981 - 1984 lower trim molding .  It seems to me it would be way easier and cheaper to keep the existing bottom stripe and add the matching top stripe, like they did for the 1984/1985 Bronco II:

Instead, they brought back the older and and dated-looking 1981 - 1984 lower trim molding with all those rivets to replace the lower tri-color tape stripe.  That doesn't make any sense at all.

So, perhaps the reason why the exclusive early 1985 "pressure sensitive" upper molding was suddenly dropped was because of a problem with the lower tri-color tape stripe that was used on the tu-tone models?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
There was a guy who posted a pic of his 1986 short bed F150 on Facebook that had the molding... and it was a solid color...

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Was it an F150 or an F250?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Has to be an F150 as it is a short bed. I asked to make sure it was a model year 86 and not a build date of 86. The owner said it is a model year 86 but didn’t post a door sticker or VIN tag so it’s just his word on it. I found the pic in my phone: