1985 F250 Duel Tanks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1985 F250 Duel Tanks

Dean_L
Ive had an issue with my front tank for a while and have just got by with my rear tank.  When I switch tanks, the fuel gauge registers but the truck dies from lack of fuel in a few seconds.  Ive swapped out the fuel relay, but it did nothing.

My 1st question is, if the fuel sending unit is getting power would the pump also be getting power?  If so my guess is the fuel pump is out.

Could I also be getting power to the sending unit and pump, but the selector valve is not switching over?

Looking at the wiring diagram (thanks for the resource!) it appears to me that if the fuel gauge is registering with the front sending unit, the front fuel pump must be getting power, thus my issue is likely the pump.  Just looking for confirmation.

Truth be had, Ive put off dealing with it because the tank is full and I really dont want to deal with disposing of 10 year old gas
Dean L
Coarsegold, Ca

Early Build (Sept 1984)
1985 F250, 4x4, 460, Red Standard Cab, Duel Tank
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1985 F250 Duel Tanks

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It isn't safe to say that if the pump gets power the sending unit will.  Those are sourced by two different wires and different contacts in the switch.  So the pump could be bad.

But it is very possible the selector valve isn't working.  Those things are notorious for that.  If it were me, I'd pull the line from the front tank where it goes into the selector valve and see if the pump is working.  If so, it is the selector valve.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dean_L
If it's the midship tank you can likely reach up and unplug the harness from the tank bung.

You will see fluctuating 5V on the sender pin and should see close to battery voltage at the pump positive.
This wire should have a resistor, but the meter is not drawing enough to make it evident.

Then you can tell if it's the switch valve or the pump itself at fault.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Dean_L
If you have in-tank pump you have a different fuel system than my '85 did so this might not apply at all.  My '85 F-250HD had the 351 with a mechanical fuel pump.  At one point it had an issue where it would run on one tank but would often lose power, or even stall out entirely on one tank but always ran fine on the other.  It turned out that the plastic fuel line was cracked, but rather than cracking all the way out there were just cracks in it (if that makes sense).  So it didn't leak, but there was a flap inside the line that was acting like a reed valve, choking off the fuel flow.

That was a long time ago (I sold that truck in '98).  But it was a weird enough issue I still remember it.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Take the cap off, switch tanks and listen for the pump.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona