Great White

Posted by Quarterwave Quarterwave
Options
Hi everyone,

Here are some before/after pics of my 1985 F150.

From what I can tell, it was an Alabama truck that has factory paint and some heavy patina on the hood. The paint was polished using 4 stages (cut / polish / swirl remover / carnuba wax) while I did the same thing for the bright work. I also used a Dremel-type tool with some Mother's Aluminum polish on the fender arch inserts and the front grille.

The lift is a 4" Rough Country lift, while the wheels are Alcoa 15x10's. The tires are 33x12.5x15 BFGoodrich All Terrains.

Interior is stock, aside from a 5" Monster tach, a Grant wheel that was raw wood that I varnished over the course of a few weeks (5 coats) and some trim pieces from higher-end models (mine was a basic, radio-delete model when I purchased it).

It's far from perfect, but I really love this truck!

Thanks!

I've been doing lots more work on the truck and since this post, I also updated the front suspension to 6", so that it's now much more level with the rear. Also - I thought I'd add some pics of my recent installation of Dynamat (well, the version from Eastwood) for reference if others are thinking of doing it, the headliner install and also a 6.5" co-axial speaker in the factory door location (I've read posts online about people not being sure if they fit - they do, but I had to drill new mounting holes).

The bench is also now back in, but I haven't taken pics yet, but will do so soon...

18 Comments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
Gary Lewis Gary Lewis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1985 F150

Early ‘85?  Guessing due to the upper side trim.

Anyway, looks good!  👍
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

grumpin grumpin
Reply | Threaded
|

Looking good!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Rembrant Rembrant
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Quarterwave
I really like this truck. Well done, and a nice original survivor.

My interior is very similar. Also blue, radio delete. Same dash panels (except my truck has no AC).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

1986F150Six 1986F150Six
Reply | Threaded
|

They are only original, once!
Darksidesm Darksidesm
Reply | Threaded
|

Looks good.

Almost identical to mine on the outside.
Justin
1985 Ford F-250 460 V8
Blacktop Blacktop
Reply | Threaded
|

Great looking truck👍
1984 F150 XLT short bed 4x4 351w 4speed manual
1980 F100 long bed 2wd 300-6 3speed manual project truck
🇬🇧UK based truck enthusiast🇬🇧
emunder emunder
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Great White

Very nice! I need to swap out my steering wheel. These stock wheels are the most uncomfortable steering wheel I've ever seen lol. Looking at the Grants myself...yours looks good! Whole truck is looking great! Nice work.
1986 Ford F150 XLT 4X4. 300 I6 w/ 4 speed manual.
Quarterwave Quarterwave
Reply | Threaded
|

Thanks Emunder!

The wheel is a Grant steering wheel that was un-varnished. I took a couple of weeks to build up around 5 coats of marine varnish - the hardest part was keeping dust out of the finish long enough so it could dry.

A standard wheel-puller took off the old wheel - and it works for the Grant - but the setup on the Grant is a little different, where a three-prong puller would be better.

The adapter is also from Grant but they have a really weird way of getting the horn to work, so unfortunately, mine is not at the moment (the wiring and horn work, just not connected to the horn on the wheel).

I think all up it was about $220 plus my time to prep and paint the varnish.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
1986F150Six 1986F150Six
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by emunder
emunder wrote
Very nice! I need to swap out my steering wheel. These stock wheels are the most uncomfortable steering wheel I've ever seen lol. Looking at the Grants myself...yours looks good! Whole truck is looking great! Nice work.
I wonder if this would work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-Mustang-Truck-Fairmont-Leather-Sport-Steering-Wheel-1978-1979-Button/143354445085?hash=item2160973d1d:g:oiMAAOSwPdNdUd0Q
Rembrant Rembrant
Reply | Threaded
|

Hey Quaterwave,

How did you mount the new radio/stereo? Did you use a kit of any kind? My truck is also radio delete and installing a radio is on my to-do list.

What did you do with the original grey weave dash bezels that you removed?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

kramttocs kramttocs
Reply | Threaded
|

Did you remove the original jute from the headliner?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Quarterwave Quarterwave
Reply | Threaded
|

This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Hi Rembrandt,

I used a mounting kit from Crutchfield.

I actually sold them some time ago.

LMK if you need any info on the install and if so, I'll write it all up here for future reference for other users as there were a few challenges along the way.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Quarterwave Quarterwave
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by kramttocs
Hi Kramttocs,

Yes, I re-used the jute as it was in ok condition. I figured the more insulation the better. Even with twin mufflers (I used to run straight pipes), it's still LOUD and shakes the cabin! This sound clip is how it sounds now...

The headliner itself was the fabric kind, that had the bonded foam type of material attached to it.

Apparently, the issue with the headliners sagging is actually the foam breaking down, not the material.

I took the headliner backing board out (there are some creases in the board that bend to help remove it from the cabin) and after removing what I could of the fabric, I used a combination of sandpaper and a plastic drywall putty knife to scrape the foam off. I think next time, I'll just use a wire brush attachment on a drill as that would be quicker.

NOTE - mine was a messy job, so you might want to do it outside where its not too windy.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
kramttocs kramttocs
Reply | Threaded
|

Fortunately I don't have to redo my headliner but I wasn't sure if the jute plus the xmat would cause it to bulge in those doubled up areas as I assumed the jute was pressed up against the roof panel.
Scott

Quarterwave Quarterwave
Reply | Threaded
|

No, it was all good.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
kramttocs kramttocs
Reply | Threaded
|

Good deal. (Hopefully) final question - I see Eastwood offers a different pad for roofs/hoods. A lighter version it sounds like. Did you use that on the roof or did you use the standard xmat all around?
Scott

Quarterwave Quarterwave
Reply | Threaded
|

I used the lighter version on the roof and the vertical panels of the cab. The floor was the only part that received the "regular" Xmat.

The stuff for the roof is kind of spongy and is really light (but way more expensive), whereas the regular stuff is like an asphalt sheet with the aluminum backing. The asphalt stuff is fairly heavy for what it is, but with a sharp Stanley knife and some good scissors, it's easy to manage.

Some tips:

Sharp scissors
Stanley knife with new blade
Work gloves - the aluminum on the sheets can be sharp
Buy the aluminum tape to seal the Xmat joints on the floor. Otherwise the asphalt material can ooze/spread a bit
Buy the hard plastic/rubber roller - it really helps to push the stuff down in the valleys and crevices of the cabin - esp. when applying to the door skins
Remember to cut out the Xmat where the seat and seatbelt mounting points are
I used two rolls of the roof insulation, which covered the roof of my Supercab, along with the rear panel behind the rear seat and both sides of the CABIN (not the doors).
I could have used another roll for the door skins, but ended up using the regular Xmat asphalt material, which has worked out good so far. Fiddly to get in as it's sticky and only has a small amount of room, but it can be done (cut up into about 3 medium-sized pieces, place in the door cavity and then peel away the backing as you stick it to the door skin).
I ordered 3 of the large boxes of Xmat flooring material (I believe they had about 8 or 9 large sheets folded over in each box), but only used a bit less than 2 boxes for the floor (Supercab) and the doors. I sold the other box to a guy working on an OBS Bronco.
If you feel inclined, so much of the interior has to come out, you might like to consider re-dying the plastic pieces. If you do, LMC has the paint and an adhesion promoter that so far, has been good in my application. You'll also need to order some of the plastic clips as they are brittle and mine tended to break when prying off the panels (I was using a trim removal tool). I got some replacement clips from Amazon for a few bucks per pack (there were about 10 in each pack if I recall correctly)

Hope this helps!
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
kramttocs kramttocs
Reply | Threaded
|

Very much appreciated! Especially the amount needed - since I am doing a supercab also.
Scott