classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1985.5 F150 5.0 EFI intake manifold gaskets

sgauvry
Gents -

I am going to use FelPro intake manifold gaskets for the lower intake manifold.  I have read that I should use gasket sealant only on the end corners of the end rubber gaskets.

Is that what you recommend and if so, what sealant should I use?

Thanks!

Steve
Steven A. Gauvry - 1985 F150 5.0 EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1985.5 F150 5.0 EFI intake manifold gaskets

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I do not use the rubber piece on the dam at either end of the valley.  Instead I use a 1/4" bead of RTV all the way across.  And too much is ok, while not enough is bad.

But, regardless of what you use there, you need to ensure that the manifold goes down evenly and that you don't slide it around any when it goes down.  So I have taken 4 long bolts that screw in the holes in the block and cut the heads off.  That lets you slide the manifold down into place and ensures it isn't forward or backward, which causes you to have to slide it - which knocks the seals off and moves the gaskets.

Even then, you need to watch and make sure that the manifold is going down level - assuming your engine is sitting level.  If it is angled too much to one side or the other you may not get it to pull down evenly.  Don't ask and Brandon/Bruno2 won't tell.  

Also, don't torque the bolts down immediately.  Snug them down, which causes the RTV to be pushed against all parts of the block and intake, but wait several hours, and maybe over night, to torque them down the last little bit.  That way the RTV sets up and when you do tighten down the last little bit the RTV is in compression.

Last, cleanliness is paramount.  RTV won't stick to oily surfaces, and you want it to stick.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I second that on the RTV for the end seals. I used to use many nasty words on the end seals both on my 1964 Falcon 260 and the Cobra 289 in my 1966 GT350. At least on the Windsor engines the bolts go straight down. Worst intake manifold install, FE engines for the win! It damn near takes a crane to lift and set one in place, if it goes the least bit off, not only will it leak oil, it can move the side gaskets enough to drive you bats looking for the air leak inside a valve cover.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I am still amazed that I, as a 25 year old "kid", was able to put a 4bbl intake on my 390 by myself - and not have any leaks of any kind.  Yes, it helped that there was enough room in the engine compartment to get in there, and enough strength in the fender of that '72 F250 to sit on it.  But that intake was massive!

Dad used to say "I'd rather be lucky than good."  I was lucky.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary!  Sorry for the delayed response.

It's amazing how so many differ on opinion with regard to this issue.  But I believe the best course is to do it as you say.  I have some Permatex Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker.  Is that what you would use?

Thanks!

Steve

P.s. The use of stud guides is a good idea that I will also use.
Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thanks, Bill!
Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I had discovered, after I removed the engine, that I had a massive leak of oil at the rear seal of the lower intake manifold.  I had originally thought, prior to removing the engine, that the leak was from the rear main, but that was bone dry.  It was all coming from the lower intake.  Really pissed at myself for that one since I installed that lower intake 3 years ago.  Live and let learn.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the blue Permatex will work fine.

As for the leak, that is unfortunately very common.  Rusty's 351M had the same problem.  Big Blue's 460 has the same problem.  But the procedure outlined earlier will resolve it - if all the parts are CLEAN.  The RTV won't stick to oily surfaces, but if you clean the dam, the heads, and the intake well RTV will stick tightly to both and it won't leak.

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Thanks, Gary!

I soaked the lower intake manifold in Purple Power, rinsed it off in hot water, dried it well and blew compressed air into all ports. Cleaned up well.  All old gasket material is cleaned off and it is free from oil. I used a ceramic based, engine primer on it and painted it.  I will remove paint from the upper surface where the plenum attaches.

I'm confident the RTV and methodology will take care of the leak.  

Steve

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - Looks good!  

Reply | Threaded
|

sgauvry
Thanks, Gary!