classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
243 messages Options
1234 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1984 F-150 302 Windsor 2WD - "Old Red"

JMUBullnose
Alright - my truck is  back up and running and I've driven it a bit and refreshed myself on what needs to be looked at!

Background on the truck: 1984 F-150 that belonged to my grandfather. He was the first owner and bought the vehicle new back in February 1984. The irony is that my wife and my truck are the same age...but only one gets "antique" plates ;).  

Truck has the 302 Windsor V8, 2BBL carb and AC from the factory.  The carb has been rebuilt once before while my grandfather owned the truck. He had it repainted and the interior reupholstered as well. It has a slight leak coming from somewhere under the engine (but may have just been related to the vehicle sitting too damn long recently!).  

Things that have been worked on recently: new choke element last year, rear seal replaced as well. New drum brakes on the rears.

Things that I need to start working on:

-Possible Transmission work: The gear that is used between 35-50mph seems to slip if you're in traffic and slow down quickly and need to speed back up or if I'm cruising at 35-40mph and then folks slow down to go up a steep hill. Shudder shudder and then gear goes in. I'm guessing this is 3rd gear
-AC/Heat Blend door: Currently the blend door is 'fixed' so that the defroster and floor vents work. Shop did this so I could pass safety inspection (defroster required). I need to figure out just what's busted under there so I can fix it and have main vents again.
-AC System: System was converted to R-134 ~10 years ago. However, I hear the compressor clicking constantly if I try to run the system. I have a feeling there may be a leak.
-Paint polish/correction - paint needs some TLC in the form of cleaning up oxidation, put a good seal on it again (still shiney, just oxidized really).
-Bed cap: Don't have a clue what to do with the original LEER cap on this bad boy. It's dented all over from a hail storm - grandfather never had it fixed as the vehicle would have been declared total due to cost of repair v. value of truck (according to the insurance company).

Hopefully now I can start tackling these projects now that I've outlined them for myself!

Cheers.
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1984 F-150 302 Windsor 2WD - "Old Red"

JMUBullnose
Follow up on the transmission - I was reading the transmission section of the site and came across this!
"AOD is a whole different ball game, the throttle cable or linkage calls for a pressure gauge and setting gauge to get the pressure correct, too low and you will burn up the OD and maybe direct clutches, too high and the transmission will “hunt” between 3 and 4.  If you are experiencing this, on a carbureted engine back the screw for the AOD throttle rod out about 1 turn and test drive..."

I wonder if that's what i'm experiencing - too high of pressure. Now where the heck does the throttle rod come off of?
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by JMUBullnose
JMUBullnose wrote
The irony is that my wife and my truck are the same age...but only one gets "antique" plates ;).  
I like that and will tell my wife when I get home. My wife being a 1973 model year, I'm sure she'll be impressed...lol.

Good luck with the truck rehab. She's a beaut'.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by JMUBullnose
On the side of the carburetor, there is a lever inboard of the main throttle lever. There is a rod attached to this lever. The lever should be free to move, meaning you can push it to the rear and it should go back moving the rod back and down, then come forward when released.

There is an adjusting screw on the upper part of this lever that should be touching the "tang" on the throttle lever, this is your adjustment point. Turning the screw in (head clockwise viewed from the back) will make the shifts later and firmer, turning it out earlier and softer. If the carburetor has been changed from the original Motorcraft and the replacement was not for an AOD transmission, then Lokar makes a cable system to replace the rod, anyone who has done a 2 barrel to 4 barrel swap on these needs this to get the shift quality correct.

In case you are wondering, I am the one who wrote the automatic transmission information.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Congrats on keeping it in the family. That's a good looking truck!
The AOD is a pretty rugged trans in a light truck. The advice given so far is perfect. Adjust the TV linkage and go from there. If you don't have the tools, it shouldn't be expensive to have a transmission shop take care of it for you.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thanks! I'll have to take a look at it this afternoon once I get home. I'm hoping that doing the 1 turn out will fix the hunting issue. I'm pretty sure it's still the motorcraft carb that's mounted to the vehicle but will have to check that and crawl under the truck to make sure I've got my transmission right too.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
In reply to this post by myrl883
myrl883 wrote
Congrats on keeping it in the family. That's a good looking truck!
The AOD is a pretty rugged trans in a light truck. The advice given so far is perfect. Adjust the TV linkage and go from there. If you don't have the tools, it shouldn't be expensive to have a transmission shop take care of it for you.
Thanks very much! I'm glad to have the truck and to keep it on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Went and adjusted the screw out a turn and will see what happens on my drive home - thanks for the assist. On the drive out today - I ended up putting the truck in Drive instead of OD and the hunting went away. Gas mileage probably went to poo - but it's an old truck...what do I expect??  ;)

One question - how much play should be in that rod that is connected to the tang? I can move it back and forth a good bit, it even knocked against the firewall as I was playing with it.

Hopefully that adjustment screw helps solve it - I'm sure a transmission flush wouldn't hurt.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The rod should move freely as far as the throttle lever will push it and will have some overtravel so it won't bind. Did the shift into direct feel a little earlier and still firm? If it is you are going the right way, these are real touchy, the Ford adjustment calls for a spacer block and pressure gauge, but as I pointed out, feel will get you in the right place, we did the old Hydramatics and fine tuned Torquflites and Powerglides that way along with some even stranger stuff, Ultramatics and Detroit Gear DG 250s.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Well first drive back from the country and the transmission was still bucking as it shifted up into third and then into OD. Even at 15-25mph, especially going up a hill. 

Also had it shudder while in Direct at the 25-35mph. Like slam between gears while it was hunting, whole truck shuddering. Not sure if I need to tighten that screw or back it out some more. 

Also have some issues where the engine stumbles coming out of turns/roundabouts (but that might a carb issue).

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018, 2:11 PM 85lebaront2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The rod should move freely as far as the throttle lever will push it and will have some overtravel so it won't bind. Did the shift into direct feel a little earlier and still firm? If it is you are going the right way, these are real touchy, the Ford adjustment calls for a spacer block and pressure gauge, but as I pointed out, feel will get you in the right place, we did the old Hydramatics and fine tuned Torquflites and Powerglides that way along with some even stranger stuff, Ultramatics and Detroit Gear DG 250s.
"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional"
Darth Vader 1986 F-350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator
Wife's 2011 Flex Limited
Daily Driver 1994 Taurus LX
Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1984-F-150-302-Windsor-2WD-Old-Red-tp8076p8786.html
To unsubscribe from 1984 F-150 302 Windsor 2WD - "Old Red", click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Back it out a bit if it is banging into the gears, make sure nothing is keeping the rod from coming all the way forward. If you do have a transmission flush done, be damn sure they replace the filter afterwards, otherwise all the varnish and sludge in it will wind up in the filter. One thing, Ford transmissions do have converter drain plugs, it is on the front of the converter on an AOD.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
I'll try backing that screw out a bit more. I think I did a half turn out. The rod snaps right back when I push it back towards the firewall. Coincidentally - that rod has a lot of side to side play on it - should it be that loose? back and forth it's nice and firm though.

"What GIS hath wrought, let no man, except management, tear asunder" 
- A. Wise Analyst

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 5:06 PM, 85lebaront2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Back it out a bit if it is banging into the gears, make sure nothing is keeping the rod from coming all the way forward. If you do have a transmission flush done, be damn sure they replace the filter afterwards, otherwise all the varnish and sludge in it will wind up in the filter. One thing, Ford transmissions do have converter drain plugs, it is on the front of the converter on an AOD.
"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional"
Darth Vader 1986 F-350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator
Wife's 2011 Flex Limited
Daily Driver 1994 Taurus LX
Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1984-F-150-302-Windsor-2WD-Old-Red-tp8076p8794.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, the side to side is normal on those, the C6 downshift rod would be the same way.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Alright - I just went out to the parking lot during my lunch break and backed it out another whole turn. So now I'm at 1.5 turns out. We'll see how OD performs on the drive home!
Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Alright - so report from yesterdays drive home. At highway speeds, OD seemed to perform fine. The surprise was when I was in the 15-25mph range while rolling away from a stop light to go up an overpass/flyover. The sucker started shaking and shuddering- I'm pretty sure I even heard some clanging. At first I thought the engine was having some issues but once I heard the clanging/banging echoing back from the jersey barrier as I slogged up the flyover I was pretty sure it was the transmission. Luckily I was within a mile or two of home, so I switched out of OD and babied Old Red all the way home.

So far I'm 1.5 turns out on that screw, when I started my ~30 mile drive home, it was shifting great through 2nd, 3rd and into OD (while on the highway). The last couple miles are what threw me.

Also what surprised me...I burned half through half of the gas in the rear tank just going ~50 miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I would check the U-joints, they will raise all sorts of noise if they are going bad. I had one that was so frozen I could barely move it and it would shake the whole truck at 45 mph.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
I wouldn't describe this so much as shaking the truck...more like slamming the truck around from the transmission up! I was hoping to drive Old Red on Friday - now the question is...turn the screw in a turn (so 1 turn out) or go out another half turn or so. Afraid I'm going to blow something up! (This is all damned new to me!)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm guessing that you are going into overdrive way too early and the engine is bucking at the load at such a low RPM.  The fact that you were able to drive it with the OD switched off supports my theory.

Did it drive correctly with the OD switched off?

I don't think you should be going into OD before hitting about 45 MPH.  So whatever adjustments need to be made to get you there is what I'd recommend.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
Hmmm, thanks Gary - I mulled that over for a bit. It's possible I should have been turning the screw in instead of backing out. That'll be my next experiment!

"What GIS hath wrought, let no man, except management, tear asunder" 
- A. Wise Analyst

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 1:33 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm guessing that you are going into overdrive way too early and the engine is bucking at the load at such a low RPM.  The fact that you were able to drive it with the OD switched off supports my theory.

Did it drive correctly with the OD switched off?

I don't think you should be going into OD before hitting about 45 MPH.  So whatever adjustments need to be made to get you there is what I'd recommend.
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1984-F-150-302-Windsor-2WD-Old-Red-tp8076p9744.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
I would love to add a tachometer to this truck - how hard is it to get the different printed circuit and a tach?
1234 ... 13