1984 Diesel F250 4x4

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1984 Diesel F250 4x4

Sideflop
I know I've posted on my F250 once or twice here, but I haven't posted any photos of it apart.

Starting off, the engine bay when I first got the truck. When I first got this, everything was leaking everywhere, so there was so much gunk that I couldn't really tell there was an engine under the hood.

After that was the usual starting process of flushing the radiator, changing the thermostat, heater and radiator hoses, breaking the retractable hood light, etc.

Once I got all that done, I changed the heater core and sidelined the truck while my dad and I started ordering the necessary gaskets, seals, and other things to stop the leaks in the fuel return lines, transmission, xfer case, power steering gearbox, and rear end.

The first hangup of the project was when I pulled the valve covers off to find a couple of loose rockers and two pairs of rockers that had the old aluminum bridges on them... So that's an unplanned trip to eBay to find new rocker arms. Some of the old rockers and the two saddles were on their way to being totally wiped out, too.

Now that the rockers and glow plugs are changed out, I started replacing the o-rings and return lines for the injectors, painting the injector lines before reinstalling them.

Also got new headlight and wiper switches, and a new brake reservoir.

A couple of weeks later, we got the truck moved to a friend's place with a shop and fixed the left rear brake.

Next on the list was pulling the transfer case and transmission to change the seals in them. I enjoyed the project much more when I found the distance piece that attaches the transmission to the transfer case didn't have any of the ears broken off like they tend to be.

Resealing and painting the transmission.

After getting the transfer case and transmission redone, I pulled out the steering column to clean it and replace the turn signal switch.

Blasted and painted the transmission mount before installing the transmission and xfer case.

After that, the truck got put back together with a new throttle cable and some other odds and ends and I drove it around for about a week before taking the front apart, starting with getting some access to the leaky left exhaust manifold, oil cooler, and power steering gearbox.

Of course, I painted the manifold and oil cooler.

Put new oil seals in the steering gearbox and put that back in the truck.

After that, I put an axle pivot bushing in. Turns out the bushings I got under Moog's name tapered near the end and kept going, so both tries didn't fit and I wound up finding some bushings from Energy Suspension that came with the metal shell, tapered slightly but returning to a flat angle, so the one dad and I tried putting in fit like a glove.

Now, I got all this stuff in the front end done in less than a month so I could attend a truck meet in Argyle called the Farm Truck Show. I'm in the bald eagle shirt. Pretty decent progress considering what little experience I've had working on vehicles (I only got into the hobby in July of last year, with a 2001 Frontier).

Since then, I got new headlights and seatbelts, and that's about it until I start rebuilding the front axle this weekend.

In total, I started this project in Christmas 2018 and reached a stopping place for the big stuff by June 7 this year, with roughly $5200 invested in the truck, including buying and registering it.

Nathan
1984 F250 XL with International 6.9L IDI, Borg Warner T19 transmission and Borg Warner 1345 transfer case. Dana 50 limited slip front end, Dana 70 open rear end with 3.73 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1984 Diesel F250 4x4

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!!  That's an epic post!  And lots and lots of work.  Well done work at that.  

I'm impressed.  You've gotten far more work done on your truck in that time than I have.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sideflop
Thanks! I couldn't have gotten this far without my dad's help. It helps a ton that he's been willing to give financial and research help so I can focus on college.
Nathan
1984 F250 XL with International 6.9L IDI, Borg Warner T19 transmission and Borg Warner 1345 transfer case. Dana 50 limited slip front end, Dana 70 open rear end with 3.73 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's great, a father/son project.  I'm jealous!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Good job!

Thought you found a nest of some sort, then realized it was your tranny!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Dane, I thought it incredible there was a T-19 somewhere under all that grease and grime.

Sideflop,
Thanks for sharing your introduction to the Bullnose trucks.
I'm glad I can follow along.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sideflop
In reply to this post by Sideflop
Just got all the parts to rebuild the left side of the front axle, except for a spindle nut socket. The socket oughta show up this Friday so I can start this leg of the project and hopefully have the truck driving again before the end of next week.

Nathan
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just the left side?  Why not both?

Reply | Threaded
|

Sideflop
The right side is fine right now, but the left side's driveline has a bad u-joint and the bottom left ball joint is toast. I do plan on rebuilding the right side, but not right now.
Nathan
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sideflop
Welcome to the group! Thanks for sharing your project. I love the truck, particularly the engine type 😁.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Sideflop
Thanks! It's been a great starter project for me, crazy how simple it's been to work on.
Nathan