1984 250 460 dual tank- trouble priming fuel lines

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1984 250 460 dual tank- trouble priming fuel lines

'84-460-Project
So after 2 days of trying I'm finally admitting - I'm lost.

1984 F250 460 "hot fuel option" dual tank

Replaced w/new parts:
- Rear fuel tank
- Rear sending unit
- all steel fuel lines
- Fuel tanks selector valve
- Fuel tank selector relay
- Fuel pump cutoff relay
- Starter relay
- Hot fuel option "t" value w/blue dot

I took the edelbrock 1406 carb off, cleaned it and made sure the floats are set and cleaned out jets, air ways and set the electronic choke.

I filled up both tanks half full and tried to prime the tanks in the following manner:

- Turning the motor over at least 25 times w/the fuel tank switch in the front and back position.
- Taking fuseable link T off the starter relay and connecting it, by a jumper cable, to the positive side of the battery to start the fuel pumps. I let the fuel pumps run for at least 25 min (I heard them running). This is both the front and rear.

I have (2) fuel filters. (1) on the engine side of the fuel tank selector valve and (1) on the engine side of the "hot fuel option - blue dot T valve).

I checked fuse 18 to ensure it wasn't popped.

I've managed to get fuel to the carb once and the truck started. It was pulling from the front tank. I tried getting fuel from the rear tank and no fuel was moving. I went back to the front and nothing.

I don't think there is a blockage in the fuel line, but I haven't run a bypass from one of the tanks past the fuel selector value to see if thats the problem. When I took the fuel filter (on the engine side of the fuel selector valve) off fuel was moving. Which makes me think the value is not blocking any fuel.

I did run the steel fuel lines up and along the firewall. The stock Holly was fed from the drivers side. The aftermarket edeblrock is fed from the passenger side. I don't think the extra line would tax the fuel pumps to the point they couldn't deliver fuel.

What am I missing?

1984 F250 4x4
Stock 460 dual tanks
Edelbrock 1406
Automatic transmission
"hot fuel option"
Father/Son project
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1984 250 460 dual tank- trouble priming fuel lines

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll bet you are frustrated.  

First, before going any further and before I forget, when you get this sorted out you may need to put a fuel pressure regulator on.  Edelbrock's don't like more then 6 psi and the electric pumps can give too much pressure and overpower the floats, especially at idle.  But, that can wait as you need fuel first.

Anyway, to troubleshoot I would break the system down and test it section by section.  Pull the line from either the front or back tank off the selector valve and see if you get fuel there.  If so, but it back on and pull the line leaving the selector valve - do you get fuel there?  If so, keep going.

But I doubt you'll get that far before finding the problem.  And, I'm suspecting the selector valve is the problem since it is a common thing in the issue.  Maybe it is bad?  Maybe there's a wiring problem?

By the way, those pumps aren't supposed to have full voltage other than when starting.  There is a resistor in the line when in Run.  I don't think you hurt them as the engine wasn't running and the voltage would have been something like 12 volts instead of the 14 volts with the engine running and the fuse link straight to the battery.  But, I wouldn't want to run them a long time with full voltage.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by '84-460-Project

I had an intermittent problem getting fuel on my truck. The connector for the oil pressure switch is bad.

It's on the back of the engine. IIRC the sender for the gauge is there also. I don't know if the wire color is the same on a 1984 as my manual is for my 1986.

After the engine starts this keeps the Fuel Pump relay on. You could try jumpering the connector.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Having lived with one of these for quite a while (1986 F350) I am pretty conversant with the system. The Hot Fuel Option Package T valve with blue dot. Mine had a 6 port motor operated valve that controlled both the supply and return lines, the pumps in these are extremely low pressure, spec calls for 5-7 psi so the two filters may be too much restriction. Can you hear or feel the selector valve switching? I just figured out what you are calling the T valve, it is the vapor separator and has an orifice where the 1/4" line attaches.

Other question, can you hear the pumps run? they make a not super loud whine, like a fan motor only muffled because they are submerged in the tanks. Fuse #18 is the pumps through the tank selector relay, fuse #15 is the tank selector valve control.

Here are the diagrams, if they aren't easy enough to read I can email them to you.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

'84-460-Project
Good call on the fuel filters. I'll take them out of the line and see if I can get the fuel moving.

I can hear both fuel pumps running. The new one is very loud and the older one is weaker.

Both fuses are still good.

Thanks.
1984 F250 4x4
Stock 460 dual tanks
Edelbrock 1406
Automatic transmission
"hot fuel option"
Father/Son project
Reply | Threaded
|

'84-460-Project
In reply to this post by grumpin
I replaced the oil pressure switch. I'm not sure what (or where the) the IIRC is. Is this in the loop for the fuel system?

How do I jumper the oil pressure switch?
1984 F250 4x4
Stock 460 dual tanks
Edelbrock 1406
Automatic transmission
"hot fuel option"
Father/Son project
Reply | Threaded
|

'84-460-Project
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks. I'll follow your advise and section the system off to find where the bad connection is.

Where did you put the fuel pressure regulator?

Its a brand new fuel tank selector. I triple checked the wiring, but i'll go through it again.

How many starts should I expect to prime an empty fuel line?

Where does the electric signal come from to make the selector value push fuel from the either tank?

For instance, when I switch from the rear to the front tank at the switch in the cab, a signal tells the selector value to push the front tank fuel through instead of the rear.

Does the ignition need to be in start or run to make the selector valve release the fuel?

I've got a big inline fuel filter right after the selector valve. I can see it fill up with fuel, so I'm some what confident that fuel is getting past the selector valve. The only thing past this filter is the blue dot vapor valve and another in line fuel filter (which I've verified not fuel is reach either).
1984 F250 4x4
Stock 460 dual tanks
Edelbrock 1406
Automatic transmission
"hot fuel option"
Father/Son project
Reply | Threaded
|

'84-460-Project
How do I know if my inertial switch is bad or needs to be reset?
1984 F250 4x4
Stock 460 dual tanks
Edelbrock 1406
Automatic transmission
"hot fuel option"
Father/Son project
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
IIRC means If I ReCall.

In other words 'I believe that's the oil pressure switch is below and beside the oil pressure sender (can) at the rear of the intake manifold.
You can jump the harness side plug with any loop of wire.

With a sock at each tank pickup and the stock filter you should be fine.
I know there is a fine screen in the vapor separator blue dot "T", but you say it's new.

Can I ask if you see any fuel flowing in the return line back at the selector valve while you have the pumps jumped and running?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
First question, do you know how to read a wiring diagram? Not trying to be nasty, some people do not know how to read them. On the pressure regulator, Gary put his just before the carburetor.

Now to the other question, you said the new pump is a lot louder than the old one, are you sure it is the correct pump? A lot of places will try to sell you the mid 1985 through 1989 low pressure EFI pump which is way too high for a carbureted engine (ask Gary Lewis and I how we know). They are much noisier as they are gearotor pumps and the originals are centrifugal pumps.

The fact that you had fuel from the front tank, switched and nothing from the rear, then when you went back to the front, still nothing makes me suspect the selector valve isn't moving, it doesn't release the fuel, just connects the desired tank to the engine fuel lines. When you rerouted them, you didn't get them crossed did you? The larger line is supply, smaller is return, the valve has 6 ports two for each set of lines. The selector valve on yours should be like mine was and have 5 wires going to it. On front tank the brown with white wire should have power in run, in rear tank the orange wire should have power in run. The remaining 3 wires are the fuel gauge wires, yellow with white to the gauge, yellow with light blue hash, rear tank sender, dark blue with yellow, front tank sender.

On the switch mentioned, it is on the back of the engine, on a hex shaped fitting with the oil gauge sender (large dome with a single stud). It is a smaller switch with a molded shell that a two lead wire goes into. Here is a picture showing where the wiring runs, switch is visible as the black item where the red line goes on the back of the engine.

Inertia switch is just to the passenger side of the floor hump on the heater duct, it has two yellow wires, but if either pump is running it is closed.

With the key on, and nothing running (including the pumps, they should not run until the engine is cranked) you should be able to hear a pretty solid thump from the selector valve when you change tanks with the switch, when the switch is moved to the front tank position, you should also be able to hear the tank selector relay (on the firewall, underhood) click closed. The fuel pump relay will only close with oil pressure operating the switch.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I put the fuel pressure regulator just after the hot fuel "T" as you called it.  However, were I to do it over again I'd replace the T with a return-style regulator.

There are two styles of regulator - a "dead-head" unit that goes on the end of a line and just lets enough gas through to supply the pressure.  Or a "return-style" unit that diverts fuel back to the tank to keep the pressure at the set point.  So, if you used one of those you wouldn't need the T.

But, right now you have no pressure.  And the truck may run fine with your pumps.  So worry about that if and when it happens.

I see Bill has responded, so I'll not address the other things so as to not overwhelm you.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

'84-460-Project
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thanks for the details. Your wiring diagram questions is a fair one, and yes I'm able to read and follow it. I validated the wiring setup matches (the instructions in the box, the service manual and the diagrams in this thread)

UPDATE: Today I disconnected the fuel lines from the selector valve to take it out of the equation.

I left the wiring hooked up to selector valve.

I connect the fuel sending line (3/8) and he return line (5/16) to the rear tank.

I flipped the fuel tank switch to rear and cranked the motor (3) times.

The carb got fuel and the truck started and kept an idel. It took less than 6 sec to prime the lines and get fuel to the carb.

I thought about how I hooked the fuel tank lines to the selector valve to ensure I didn't cross the lines. They looked correct. The rear tank fed into the bottom and the front fed into the top. The sending line is 3/8s and the return is 5/16s, so I'm confident I didn't switch them around.

I'm wondering if the fuel line diagram that came with the selector valve is backwards? Maybe I can test the selector while its disconnected. I'll leave the wiring connected and alternate between the rear and forward positions from the fuel tank switch in the cab. I'll blow some air through the tank side ports to see which one is open and which one is closed.  I wonder if a check valve is stuck.
1984 F250 4x4
Stock 460 dual tanks
Edelbrock 1406
Automatic transmission
"hot fuel option"
Father/Son project
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
There are no check valves that I ever found on mine. The valve piping sounds correct from what I remember on mine, I seem to recall the rear tank went straight in to the valve and the front went in the top with the lines to the engine coming off the front.

What you might want to do is take the valve loose, I know it's not fun and make sure it is moving to both positions and connecting the ports properly. It is the correct 6 port motor operated valve I hope, if it is a "universal" aftermarket one it is going to give you problems as it will not switch the gauge senders. Be glad yours is an 84, the 86 system Ford did away with the tank selector relay and everything is done in the valve and switch. As a result the valve won't move unless you are cranking the engine or it is running.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As Jim/ArdWrknTrk says, progress is good.  And you are making progress.

It does look like the valve is the issue, which make sense as it was the only common thing that could keep fuel from the carb if the pumps are running.

As Bill said, you need to verify that the valve works and which way it goes when it does work.

Reply | Threaded
|

'84-460-Project
Thanks so much for the help. After tearing everything down and starting over - we got it to run.

I tested the valve selector with an airhose to validate which ports opened in when the front is selected, and which is opened in when the rear is selected. Connected and tested each tank separately, put a clear inline fuel filter on the fuel tank side and one right at the carb, and everything worked out.

It took no more than (3) starts to prime the lines.

It a strong possibility I connected the tanks to the wrong selector valve.

Lessened learned.

Now we need to time and tune.
1984 F250 4x4
Stock 460 dual tanks
Edelbrock 1406
Automatic transmission
"hot fuel option"
Father/Son project
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!!!  

Glad you got it going.  One layer of the onion peeled, more to go.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Sounds great! The hot fuel package can be a nightmare the first time you have to deal with it. Working properly it is great.

One suggestion from someone who has dealt with it's idiosyncrasies, you might want to add a "priming button" that will put 12V to the wire on the starter relay if the truck isn't going to be driven frequently. I found if mine sat for a week or more without being started it took a bit of cranking to fill the carburetor to the point it would run.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
85lebaront2 wrote
One suggestion from someone who has dealt with it's idiosyncrasies, you might want to add a "priming button" that will put 12V to the wire on the starter relay if the truck isn't going to be driven frequently. I found if mine sat for a week or more without being started it took a bit of cranking to fill the carburetor to the point it would run.
If I weren't installing EFI on Big Blue I'd do that, for sure.