1983 XL - non operational clock or courtesy lights

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1983 XL - non operational clock or courtesy lights

66gtk
It's my understanding that the XL trim package in '83 would have had under dash courtesy lights, right?  My truck has a factory clock and it does NOT have a cargo light.  Neither my clock or courtesy lights turn on and my inside cab light doesn't turn on either.  I haven't tried replacing the cab bulb yet, but looking under the dash I don't even see under dash courtesy bulbs.  

Is there a fuse or something I can check to see if my lights and clock are still operational?

Thanks!
Troy
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1983 XL - non operational clock or courtesy lights

salans7
Courtesy lights were part of the optional light group, which also included the cargo light. If you don't have the cargo light, you don't have the courtesy lights. The clock was a separate option, you can have either/or.
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Thank you Shaun.  Any good way to test the clock wiring/fuse without taking the whole dash apart?  I don't know if I need a new clock or new clock wiring pigtail or both?

I also have a working seat belt buzzer, but no headlight buzzer.  I suppose the headlight buzzer was part of the optional light group as well?

Thanks,
Troy
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
You are correct, no light group means no headlight buzzer. From 1980-1982 the headlight buzzer was separate from the seatbelt buzzer. At some point after that they were integrated into one unit, but I don't remember when that was. At some point it also turned into a chime, but that may not have happened until the bricknose trucks.

As for testing the clock, they are prone to failure, and it isn't the easiest to test them. You can however test the power going to the clock via the wiring harness. But I'm not familiar with the colors on an 83-86 since the last truck I had with a clock was a 1980 and it was different.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
You are correct, no light group means no headlight buzzer. From 1980-1982 the headlight buzzer was separate from the seatbelt buzzer. At some point after that they were integrated into one unit, but I don't remember when that was. At some point it also turned into a chime, but that may not have happened until the bricknose trucks.

As for testing the clock, they are prone to failure, and it isn't the easiest to test them. You can however test the power going to the clock via the wiring harness. But I'm not familiar with the colors on an 83-86 since the last truck I had with a clock was a 1980 and it was different.
Can confirm my late build 86 is still a buzzer so must be a 87+ feature.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Looks simple enough and you don't need to tear out the whole dash, just the middle bezel.

Check for power on the noted BR, and LG/Y wires.

Turn the key to ACCY and check for power on the W/P wire.

Then shoot the black wire to ground for continuity.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
I must admit that I don't know how to read these types of wiring schematics.  Am I interpreting correctly that the same fuse operates both the clock and the radio?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not sure what you are seeing, but I don't see the radio listed there.  But from the info below the clock is on Fuse 17 and the radio is on Fuse 11.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
66gtk wrote
I must admit that I don't know how to read these types of wiring schematics.  Am I interpreting correctly that the same fuse operates both the clock and the radio?
I think what you see is the LG/Y wire to the radio right?
I believe it is the night display light to the radio so when you dim the dash lights the radio display also dims.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100